Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/rare-plymouth-hemi-cuda-muscle-car-sold-for-nearly-2-million

Rare Plymouth Hemi Cuda muscle car sold for nearly $2 million

Just 14 Hemi Cuda convertibles were built in 1970, and the Lemon Twist yellow example is one of three that were delivered to our northern neighbor.

The fully restored car is powered by a 426/425 V8 that breathes through an Iconic Shaker hood scoop and sends its power to the rear wheels through a 4-speed TorqueFlite automatic transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Ridiculous price. Not worth it. Beautiful car but $2M give me a break. You could have a pole barn filled with awesome cars for that kind of cash and still have money leftover. I don't understand how some of these cars actually sell for these prices. Plenty of other great old cars out there that are much more affordable.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Ridiculous price. Not worth it. Beautiful car but $2M give me a break. You could have a pole barn filled with awesome cars for that kind of cash and still have money leftover. I don't understand how some of these cars actually sell for these prices. Plenty of other great old cars out there that are much more affordable.
Understand what you're saying.

That said, there's a lot of folks with as much disposable income as young parents have disposable diapers.

Just how it is and that's fine with me. Completely out of my league, but I sure enjoy looking at cars like this, and watching two folks duking it out at an auction.

·
Registered
662 Posts
was at mecum indy & was mopar heaven lots & lots of mopars for sale & most bringing very good #'s. saw this car, nice but like somebody else said you can't afford to drive it, worth too much $$. as a baby boomer @73 i keep feeling that the bubble on these high costs for old cars will burst as us baby boomers die, our wives & children will have no attachment to these cars & will surely sell them. but hasn't happened yet. i had a '71 340 duster when young. they had one there in plum crazy & where asking $40k-60k & didn't have low mileage. don't know if it sold but can't see it selling for that, a couple years ago i almost bought one for $20k. but going to an auction is a blast that every car nut should do atleast once & when you see a couple committed buyers go crazy & the crowd egging them on to over spend it is a rush.

·
Registered
527 Posts
as a baby boomer @73 i keep feeling that the bubble on these high costs for old cars will burst as us baby boomers die, our wives & children will have no attachment to these cars & will surely sell them. but hasn't happened yet.
Same here. At 51, I have seen the old muscle car values slip a few times over the years, but they always come back even stronger.

It will surely be interesting to see if these crazy prices will hold up 10 years from now.

The vast majority of the higher end cars are never driven. They are bought, displayed and sold like paintings or sculptures.

Sadly, its been a long time since the average classic car/muscle car enthusiast could actually afford to buy, drive, race or just enjoy one.

Thankfully, there are modern muscle cars and sports cars, that can still be enjoyed by the masses.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I remember in the mid 80's in the old Auto-Trader magazines there were tons of old muscle cars in various shapes...for not a lot of money! Those days are long gone...now some basketcase found in a barn half rusted away but they want 20 grand or more...the collector car hobby has priced it's way out of reach of common people like us who don't have a disposable income. It is what it is but yes, I agree..I think the bubble will bust eventually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
Tshane72
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing