Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MSRP Price - 52,310
Dealer Discount - $3,040
Doc fee - $588
State & local taxes - $2,991.48
License & fee - $350
Rebates - $5,600
Final Price - $47,599.48

I get National Benefits for being a family member of a police/military that would give me more of a discount. But the dealer told me that they they wouldnt be able to apply this because the car is “already aggressively priced” It is already below what it would give me.

I also mentioned that I get FCA Affiliate reward program through my employer, but they said it would only apply $100 more.
Not sure I believe them when it comes to these 2 statements, what do you guys think? Considering this is a leftover 2019 and we’re heading into the 2021 models soon, do you guys think I’m able to get the car cheaper?

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are getting roughly $300 more Dealer discount than I got on my 2020 Scat Pack Widebody and I also had $5400 in rebates. I think more is to be had.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions on what I can ask them to make the deal sweeter?

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
827 Posts
My deal was through USAA car buying service. If inventory is low, it will be hard to convince the dealer to go lower. The points you have are that it's a 2019 model and there may not be many buyers for that, plus the dealer will want to make room for new inventory.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
You should definitely be able to do better especially with COVID still ongoing.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
827 Posts
I don't get you. Can you explain? That was my cash price. Backed out it was right around 33000 base

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - Frostbite
33 Posts
Negotiate that document fee out of your price if they don't outright lower it. $500+ is outrageous.

Check your state laws, check the minimum amount required for documentation charges, counter with that number.

If they say, and they most likely will, that they have to charge everyone to same, subtract the difference out of the car price with the salesman.

EX:
$500 doc fee.
California legal minimum for documentation fees: $80
Request fee be reduced to $80.
Dealer declines; all customers must be treated equal (they're technically right here by quoting the law, but this proves that dealerships have been stiffing their customers for years on doc fees).
Request the salesman, rescind your prior offer, request $420 be removed from the sticker.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
MSRP Price - 52,310
Dealer Discount - $3,040
Doc fee - $588
State & local taxes - $2,991.48
License & fee - $350
Rebates - $5,600
Final Price - $47,599.48

I get National Benefits for being a family member of a police/military that would give me more of a discount. But the dealer told me that they they wouldnt be able to apply this because the car is “already aggressively priced” It is already below what it would give me.

I also mentioned that I get FCA Affiliate reward program through my employer, but they said it would only apply $100 more.
Not sure I believe them when it comes to these 2 statements, what do you guys think? Considering this is a leftover 2019 and we’re heading into the 2021 models soon, do you guys think I’m able to get the car cheaper?
Are you sure the price won’t change when you’re in “the box”, that’s when you hear we can’t give you those offers combined, blah, blah, blah.
Most dealers have the rebates already as part of their discount.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
This is a Miami dealer? If so, that's probably not a bad deal.

Also check your state law to see if they are suppose to charge tax before or after the rebate is applied, that could save a few more bucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also, can you provide a monroney or a specs list?

$47,599.48 as a final price is EERILY close to the MSRP of a half-loaded Scat Pack of $47,640. I just want to make sure they're not stiffing you with inflating the 'MSRP'. Is that 52,310 on the actual Monroney?

I ask because there are a LOT of dealers in my state (California) who are listing mid-spec Scat Packs at $4,000 to $6,000 above MSRP and CLAIMING it as MSRP on their website. Assuming they snag someone who doesn't know about car buying, this is easily abused as float and to produce the veil that someone's getting a deal if they lower it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You should definitely be able to do better especially with COVID still ongoing.
LMAO, you obviously aren't in the industry. no discounts in my world right now. Factories shut down and just a trickle of new car inventory coming in means you are not getting discounts where I work. in fact, prices have gone UP because we have to pay more at the auctions to fill the empty lot because we aren't getting any new car inventory in .... so to stay in business, we and all other dealers are overpaying for good merch at the auctions - a car that would have sold for $20k at auction in January is now selling for $22-23k.

IMO it's a shitty time to be a buyer and no telling when it will get back to normal. dealers are overallowing on good trade ins and paying premiums for newer model year, low mile, good trim levels. this is reality.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LMAO, you obviously aren't in the industry. no discounts in my world right now. Factories shut down and just a trickle of new car inventory coming in means you are not getting discounts where I work. in fact, prices have gone UP because we have to pay more at the auctions to fill the empty lot because we aren't getting any new car inventory in .... so to stay in business, we and all other dealers are overpaying for good merch at the auctions - a car that would have sold for $20k at auction in January is now selling for $22-23k.

IMO it's a shitty time to be a buyer and no telling when it will get back to normal. dealers are overallowing on good trade ins and paying premiums for newer model year, low mile, good trim levels. this is reality.
This is odd. I have a few mates in the industry. Their crux is the fact that USED cars are in exceedingly short supply, so they're grossly inflating USED prices.

Regardless if factories shut down or not, more money is generally made on used vehicles to begin with due to higher margins. Also, factories shutting down doesn't influence price all too much as far as I can see because it's hard to really argue with a Monroney sticker. I mean, a dealership can holdback all they want, but I'd imagine it just be better to part with newer vehicles at MSRP or lower since those are innately going to be harder to get rid of than a lower priced used car.

EDIT: I've also seen claims from multiple purported industry employees that factories are up in full function again and have been for the last 2 months or so.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I just $9710 off my 2020 SCP WB yesterday here in Oregon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just $9710 off my 2020 SCP WB yesterday here in Oregon.
What was your build of the SPWB and it's MSRP? I'm trying to find a widebody so I can have the wider tires, but that $6,000 extra tack on is nutty and really hard to contend with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thinking you can get this kind of pricing on a 2020 all day long with some diligence.

Be only interested in one vehicle only at the dealership.

Just haggle bag and forth and say at some later in negotiations you just cant do over $$x amount difference as a limit you have set (regardless their numbers/math/invoice their sad song). And you wont/cant budge your limit number until 2-3 dealerships have told you NO on a similar equipped vehicle.

A dealership can argue numbers all day long but they cant argue your artificial budget/limit point you have committed to not going over. Your limit should be predetermined before you before ever going in.

Tell them you wont budge your limit until you are declined at 2-3 dealerships is the way you have always worked/trade and "if you are declined at 2-3 dealerships only then will you be changing your budget/limit (or just not buying at all).

Then start to stand reach out to shake their hand, tell them you appreciate their time and that you think they actually have a hard job people dont realize. Then if its truly possible they will want to retain you and you will likely get your price frequently.

On a $50K car dealership has at least 3k profit (wiggle room, possibly more with hold backs etc) + the 5K natural rebate + any 500 extra rebate you have = Total $8,500 off most any MSRP.

The lic & doc fees are way over priced (though they will tell you they are fixed) it a way to pack in dealership handling/advertising fees they are just overpricing these items.

Taxes are what taxes are and these can't be "cooked" that I know of.

Use cars.com (set to new, dodge challenger) shop a wide radius around your zip for a 2020.

Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a Miami dealer? If so, that's probably not a bad deal.

Also check your state law to see if they are suppose to charge tax before or after the rebate is applied, that could save a few more bucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
So this car is located in South Carolina & they are a pretty small Dodge dealer. I’m in Miami, FL and here it’s pretty bare bones when it comes to scat pack inventory. So that’s why I have been looking outside my state. Hard to find a car I want with the options I want here in Miami. I’m open to pre-owned, but even then now with dealers inflating the prices to insane amounts, your better off buying new or just ordering a car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts