Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine light came on after getting gas the other day. Thought it was the gas cap. My dealer concured, said to drop by for a check and light reset. Driving over it ran a little rough. Plugged it into the analizer, and WOW! Codes for ignition,coils,injectors and probably some more. Popped the hood and engine cover -- RATS. Ate foam insulation, electrical tape, pieces of wires from the harness- gone! Warrente does not cover rats. $500 later all is well and rat bates placed around the driveway. Anyone ever had this happen? What else can I do? Thanks in advance.
D.:ninja:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I see you also live in Huntington, where in the heck are you that there are rats in your driveway in Huntington Beach????

·
Registered
531 Posts
So cal is rat and skunk heaven! Most palm trees are just giant rat nests. They get as big as cats down here, but will still be able squeeze through a 1 inch gap...nasty F'rs.

Tried EVERYTHING. The only thing that worked was poison, although I'd hate to do that outside because of cats, dogs, birds, squirrels....etc.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Does your car insurance cover the damage by rats? ;)

I'd think about luring some of the local ally cats around. That's what my grandfather did on their farm. He figured out how to bring all the local ally cats around and he stopped having rat problems (although his issues were the grain feeds, not the electrics).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Engine light came on after getting gas the other day. Thought it was the gas cap. My dealer concured, said to drop by for a check and light reset. Driving over it ran a little rough. Plugged it into the analizer, and WOW! Codes for ignition,coils,injectors and probably some more. Popped the hood and engine cover -- RATS. Ate foam insulation, electrical tape, pieces of wires from the harness- gone! Warrente does not cover rats. $500 later all is well and rat bates placed around the driveway. Anyone ever had this happen? What else can I do? Thanks in advance.
D.:ninja:
I had the exact same thing happen to me. However, the culprit was a squirrel (a rat with an attractive tail) and the vehicle was a 2007 Ford F150. The cost to repair $350. The dealer mechanic informed me the wires are lubricated with peanut oil at the assembly plant for easy installation. Can't really say that I believe that, but those damn squirrels sure were drawn to that truck. My best advice, employ a big cat. Best of luck !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your car insurance cover the damage by rats? ;)

I'd think about luring some of the local ally cats around. That's what my grandfather did on their farm. He figured out how to bring all the local ally cats around and he stopped having rat problems (although his issues were the grain feeds, not the electrics).
Yea, the deductable is higher than the damage so.... We live near HB Central Park so I can't let my worthless cats out because of the coyotes. Rat traps under the hood might work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had a field mouse problem with my 1967 Camaro once. It was were I was storing the car, the mice were coming in from the fields and nesting in everyone's stored vehicles.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Classic car owners use dryer (fabric softener) sheets put around the car. You can put some in women's nylons and hang in engine bay; put a couple under the seats, in the trunk, you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Rodents use their nose. Place a tray of dryer sheets tied in knots
under the car. The'll stay away.
I've heard the dryer thing before, but no experience with it.
Another one is moth balls. Trust me, that one doesn't work.
I had a problem with my Charger when I came back from a week long vacation. Luckily, I noticed the signs of a nest before anything got damaged.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
These are probably mice problems not rats. If you live where there are rats, you have more problems than just those associated with the car.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
yup! i use dryer sheets too. that reminds me i need to replace them with new ones. as for rats in so cal, theyre everywhere, but they hide well. Ive seen them walk on power lines from poles to houses at night. yuck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Irish spring bar soap, it lasts longer than drier sheets. Its what i use in farm equipment such as combines and tractors. Works well also if you shave it and put it in a nylon sock and put in different spots around whatever you are trying to protect.

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
Your comprehensive insurance will cover rodent damage - rodents will chew up wiring harnesses to try and make nests out of wiring -very expensive damage to replace wiring harnesses.
A friend's claim ran to about $7k to have the wire harnesses and the shop to deal with finessing the mods that had to be made to make the harness work properly after the install.

Also, car interiors can be another place to watch out for - they'll burrow into the seat foam/padding to make nests inside too.

Also - be aware that rodents pee (esp. mice and rats) as they walk around, so there's a "trail" of it wherever they go. If you see evidence, be sure to clean up those areas to address that issue.

The proactive thing is to block off access points (torn vents, screens) or gaps where they can get inside and put bait out to control the critters. Ivy is a favorite place for them to hang out it as well...

·
Registered
536 Posts
This happened to my wife's car 3 weeks ago. She drives a VW beetle and it had sat for 1 week in the garage. I went to start it up and it sounded horrible. Sure enough a rat had eaten through one of the spark plug wires so instead of running on 5 cylinders it was running on 4. Put out some rat traps, the old fashioned kind that snaps their neck and caught two huge rats. Since then nothing. They were also getting into the cat food and chewed holes right through the hard plastic cover.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts