Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted a new 5.7 engine cover, first with ahesion promoter, then hemi orange duplicolor. Yep, I scuffed it up first, several coats of promoter, then a can of hemi orange. I plan on letting it sit a full week to gas off, dry, before I clear coat it. So in about a week I'd add the 5.7L decals and the larger HEMI decals, then do a clear coat. Question is, can I just wipe it down with the cleaning solvent before I clear it, or do I need to re-scuff, or sand the orange? Also, if I put more orange on top what I've done, same question, just re-spray, or do I scuff up then add more coats.
As it sits I think I'm good without any additional color but when it's dry I may want another coat of color. I know I could have cleared it today, but after getting the orange on I was done. I just know if I had done decals and clear coat I'd feel rushed and it would not be perfect. So I just walked away to let it dry for a week. So, decals, clear it and I'm done ?

·
Registered
389 Posts
No need to sand, etc. if the color finish is smooth. Likewise, if you need some more color coat - as long as you don't have to smooth out any areas - spray the clear coats once satisfied with the base color.

Once the clear is dry, if you're happy with the smoothness and gloss - all done. If not - got some uneven or rough spots in the clear, wet sand with 1200 grit (lightly) until smooth - clean off the residue and use a rubbing compound to gloss it up. The 1200 will smooth it out really nice (if needed), but haze a little. The rubbing compound will bring the high gloss right back out.

Recommend checking to make sure the decals are OK for under the clear. If you've got any excess decal material - even just a small piece, put it on something like plastic scrap, etc. - shoot a coat of clear to test the reaction of the material. If it reacts poorly (wrinkles or bubbles up, etc) - then apply the decals on top of the clear once its cured.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heres the work in progress, 3 coats of color, sat for a week, another 3 coats of color, it'll sit for a another week. I'm in no hurry, don't want to rush. Next comes the decals, then I'll clear it. Hopefully it will be near flawless, simple, clean, then I'll do the wife's Furious Fuchsia cover. Thanks for the tips !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Done, now all I got to do is let it dry for a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah the hot tip that the pros use is to color sand it. They take 1000 or 2000 grit paper (I'm lucky to find 600+ grit!!) and then get it wet and sand it. This basically makes it as smooth as glass. It gives it that factory finish smooth look. Maybe better, depending on how diligent you are. Then clear it with 2-3 coats then wet sand the clear too. That should do it!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
looks great!!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's pretty good right now, but I'm gonna let it dry another week then hit it with 2000 grit and shoot some more clear. Thanks for the advice everyone. The rattle can paints made by duplicolor are not krylon crap, they dry alot quicker with much better results.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done, finally.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hemi57, you are right..I think it needs more orange to break up the orange, coolant tank next.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reflectiveconcepts.com has them BUT you have to order the letters individually as they are not licensed for the word hemi. Just tell em you want H, E, M, I, in the dodge engine cover sizes and they will get them for you, I bought the 5.7L V8 off ebay but other people have those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts