Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’ve had my 2016 TorRed Scat Pack ten days and am loving it. It is a hoot to toss around; interestingly seems more fun to toss around than I remember my 2012 SRT being. And I am getting more kudos from total strangers than I recall getting with me Blue Streak.

But there’s a loud rattle that is annoying the cr*p out of me. It happens when I hit a big pothole/irregular pavement, and seems to be coming from either the seatbelt mechanism inside the rear quarter panel, or from the door lock mechanism inside the driver door.

Has anyone else encountered this? And if so, what have you done about it?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for posting that.

I have the base Scat Pack stereo; I haven’t noticed it happening under loud music. I may have to check it just to rule it out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the buzz in the door and it was fixed by tightening the screw.

I do still have an intermittent rattle / knock coming from the exact location you are talking about - rear quarter panel, directly behind my left ear is where it sounds like it's coming from. Only hear it when I'm on rough road - but can also hear it if I pay attention when shutting the door with a little extra force. I haven't started tearing into anything yet to determine what it is - let me know if you figure it out.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the buzz in the door and it was fixed by tightening the screw.

I do still have an intermittent rattle / knock coming from the exact location you are talking about - rear quarter panel, directly behind my left ear is where it sounds like it's coming from. Only hear it when I'm on rough road - but can also hear it if I pay attention when shutting the door with a little extra force. I haven't started tearing into anything yet to determine what it is - let me know if you figure it out.
Yes. That sounds like the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to check the trim screw (item 1 in the first attachment)...otherwise it could be the weights in the seat belt retractor.
Thank you for sharing these.

I will check it out in the next couple days.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,875 Posts
Check the wheel well liner before you tear anything apart. That has fixed more rattles than everything else

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Quick update:

Removed the driver side quarter panel trim. I jiggled the front seat belt retractor to see if that was causing the rattle but it didn't move; it was tightly secured. The only thing I found was that the seat belt was twisted, so I straightened it. Also, found the quarter panel trim piece had a little play against the B-pillar trim, but not enough to be causing the racket I hear over bumps.

I checked the coat hook: it was tightly screwed.

I checked the door pull cut: it was tightly screwed.

Next time I will pull the door trim panel to see if the rattle is coming from the door lock mechanism.

Separately, I installed the front Mopar Splash Guards today. When I tried to install the rear Splash Guards, I noticed the passenger side rear fender liner is quite loose and does rattle. I plan to come back to it when I do install the rear Splash Guards; I need to remove the rear wheels to be able to drill a couple holes to secure the Splash Guards. When I do that I will secure the liner as well. The driver side rear wheel well liner doesn't feel loose.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It’s been snowing, so I hadn’t driven the Scat Pack in a week. Took it out for a spin this afternoon. It is pretty clear that the loud rattle is coming from the seatbelt retractor.

Last weekend I pulled the trim and everything looked tight. Maybe the retractor itself needs replacing.

If that loud rattle goes away, I am pretty sure I can live with the other minor buzzes and squeaks the car has. I’ll take it to the dealer and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same thing and found that a screw under the trim piece on the door handle wasn't tightened. the piece just pops out with a thin screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the same thing and found that a screw under the trim piece on the door handle wasn't tightened. the piece just pops out with a thin screwdriver.
Great tip! I’ll check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PS: Never mind. I misread. Already tried that: it was tight.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tired of looking for the damn rattle, I took the car to the dealership today.

They tracked a rattle to inside the driver door. There was something loose with the door trim panel.

Now there’s another rattle. They isolated it to the third brake light. Left the car overnight so they could get rid of the 2nd rattle as well.

Hope to get the car rattle-free tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts