Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leave it to Dodge to sell a car that gets squeaks and rattles after less than two months of ownership... :icon_evil:

There is a rattle in the dash, usually when it's colder outside, and it sounds like it's either coming from the gauge cluster, or behind the gauges... It could also be in the corner of the dash around where the speaker is next to the "A-pillar".

It's driving me NUTS that I can't pin-point where this noise is coming from...but I dont want to bring it to the dealership because they'll probably destroy a ton of stuff taking things apart looking for the rattle.

Anyone here get any noise from this area? If so, how did you fix it??

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I had what sounds a lot like your rattle in my 2008 Charger The dealer looked at it, and said it was due to some part of the left side bottom of the dash not being seated correctly. The supposedly fixed it, but it didn't do anything, it was still there. It was worst when cold, and almost gone when warm. I had a stereo place look at it, and they couldn't find anything. Mine sounded like it was right behind the headlight switch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, I think something's come loose under my passenger side dash. When I corner hard I hear something sliding, followed by a small "thunk", and when I brake hard I hear just the small "thunk", like the loose whatever flopped forward.

(Yes, I checked the glove compartment for loose objects.)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Maybe a long shot but I thought I had a rattle in my dash and it actually comes from the sliding cover for the sun roof. Close it and the rattle goes away. I thought it was in the dash but that was just the sound bouncing off the dash back at me.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Don't laugh but I used to have a rattle that for some time I couldn't find. Then by shear accident while this rattle was going on I open the sunglasses holder and wouldn't you know it, the stupid sunglasses. Felt like a real nimrod.. :headbang:
You may want to check that. BTW, it's not that difficult to pull the shielding out of the car under the steearing wheel column. You can then with a small flash light take a peek under there and see if anything is loose or dangling around.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There was a thread somewhere (recently!) regarding this exact rattle. I remember because I too have it. Though the forward left rattle seems to have subsided, now I have a loud one coming from the back left somewhere. Definitely something hitting a metal panel - not hard, just loud, possibly a wire. But yeah... LOTS of rattles for a brand new car. Not looking forward to 5 years from now. May have to drop it back to the dealer.

edit: a14umbra has the rattle thread I recalled - the first one

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have an '06 Charger SRT8 with approximately 175k miles and just got this annoying rattle in my dash. What I found is that somehow it appears ot be connected to my air conditioning unit or the fan because when I shut the fan off "sometimes" the rattling stops. It sounds to me like one of those "star-wheel" parts with a tooth missing or slipping. I think if I could get inside my dash I could figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattling Shaker

I have an annoying intermittent rattle in my 2014 Shaker I just bought with 10,000 miles on it. Sounds like plastic squeaking or rubbing together. Going to video it and take it to the dealer if I can't find it soon since its under factory warranty. Will post if I get a fix for it.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I would recommend visiting a FCA dealership to check this out, Mpbama65, especially since you're still under warranty. Definitely keep us posted on this.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
I have an annoying intermittent rattle in my 2014 Shaker I just bought with 10,000 miles on it. Sounds like plastic squeaking or rubbing together. Going to video it and take it to the dealer if I can't find it soon since its under factory warranty. Will post if I get a fix for it.
In the 2014 I had there were two annoying noises. One was the right corner of the dash at the windshield. A piece of foam wedged between the dash and the ducting behind the glove box fixed that. The other was a ticking noise that actually came from the left side of the seatback on the passenger seat. If I wedged a cloth between the console and the seat it would stop, or just apply pressure to the seat side it would stop. It wasn't chaffing on the console so it must have been something inside the seat. Never did find the exact cause.

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
I hate to sound dumb but check your tire pressure, if you never lowered it to 32lbs when you brought it home, if it ws like mine, it had 51lbs of air in the tires. That can make things rattle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know how you feel man. No offense to Dodge but as a born and raised chevy guy, I'm not too impressed with the build quality. Im willing to sacrifice a tad bit of build quality for an awesome car like the challenger. When I installed my sub, I had a horrible rattle coming from somewhere toward the back of the car. It turned out that my third brake light was rattling on the inside of my back window. Best of luck, hopefully someone can help you figure it out.

God Bless- Blake

1 - 13 of 13 Posts