Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hearing what sounds like a metal on metal rattle/contact during extremely hard cornering. I can feel the vibration through the shifter, it doesn't seem to matter what gear it's in.
I checked the driveshaft loop and it's still secure, I don't see any scratches on the drive shift.
I turned off BAS/ESP to make sure it wasn't the ESP engaging the brakes.
The chassis has 80k miles but is also 12 years old. What suspension bushings could be worn enough to allow enough flex to allow interference?
The only moving part the comes to mind is the driveshaft, but I'm not sure what would be contacting it.
Any advice or help would be appreciated. I'll try and get a video later this evening if time permits.
No center bearing, DSS 1 piece driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
703 Posts
80,000 miles and if I plan on keeping the car, I'd replace all the front suspension bushings.
Yeah I know, but it would be like a brand new car.

Good luck chizzle1 whatever decision you make (y)

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whatever I do end up replacing will be urethane not rubber.
I know the front shocks are way over due, on the fence about stock replacement or coil overs.

Reactions: Tape

·
Premium Member
2021 Redeye
703 Posts
Whatever I do end up replacing will be urethane not rubber.
I know the front shocks are way over due, on the fence about stock replacement or coil overs.
Just a heads up, you probably already know this but if you go urethane instead of factory rubber the ride will be a little stiffer/firm.

Not a bad thing (y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,906 Posts
...and squeaky if no grease fitting...

A Guy

Reactions: chizzle1

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, the planned 30 min oil change & inspection turned into a 3 hour debacle...but I did find the source of the noise.
The actual oil change went smoothly, new K&N filter and 8 qts of 10w40 synthetic oil. The extra qt is due to the Derale stand-alone oil cooler.
The debacle: discovered trace coolant leak on bottom radiator coolant hose and found oil cooler had relocated itself and was no longer behind the lower driver side chin scoop (no airflow). Correcting both of these issues required removing the belly Pan and unhooking the bottom part of the chin spoiler.
Also discovered one of the elec fans may not be operational, the car was not up to temp but AC was on and only 1 fan blowing. More investigation on that this evening with AlfaOBD...
The noise/vibration appears to be coming from contact between the Barton shifter to front ds u-joint. There is also evidence of contact with the heat shielding further back. The DSS unit is much larger than the stock broomstick driveshaft. I contacted the driveshaft shop about the grease from the front, they said it should not be an issue and it would start vibrating long before failure. Everything is still tight so I'll keep an eye on it. If anything does happen the loop should catch it.

The fix: Remove offending heat shields. Remove trans cross member, modify/shorten the trans mount by 1" to move the trans away from the shifter. Or, move the trans brace down with 1" bushings and longer grade 8 bolts. I'm not sure if that would place it too low in relation to the ground. The latter option would probably be easier & safer.
Last option would be rear coil overs to slightly raise the rear of the car.
Also open to other options/advice... I'm getting too old for this shit lol
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Automotive tire Bumper Rim Wood Automotive exterior
Gas Tints and shades Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Automotive design Tread

Reactions: Tape

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the fans sorted out yesterday, it was a wiring issue.
Having AlfaOBD is nice, I can engage various devices without the engine running. Made testing the fans safer and easier.
The coolant still leaks trace amounts when the pressure is greater than 17 psi. I may pick up a 12 or 14 psi cap and call it good.... a little "roadkill" but should work.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Got the fans sorted out yesterday, it was a wiring issue.
Having AlfaOBD is nice, I can engage various devices without the engine running. Made testing the fans safer and easier.
The coolant still leaks trace amounts when the pressure is greater than 17 psi. I may pick up a 12 or 14 psi cap and call it good.... a little "roadkill" but should work.
Maybe it's just dirt/the photo but is there a crack in the circled area?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Font

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks suspect... I'll have to have my wife row the gears while I'm under it. Might be moving...good catch 👍
I had originally taken the pic and circled that area due to the scratches from contact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts