Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle on my HK speakers on the right side. I believe it's coming from the passenger door. It rattles when there's some bass. I left my bass at Normal no plus 1 plus 1 or whatever. I'm still under warranty should I take it in for them to replace. I think I remember someone mentioned a link to a thread about tightening some screw pictured below or something to fix the rattle.

I thought it would be a phillips or flathead screw driver fix or something. I need new tools any suggestions on a brand or something to get me started on a set. I just got my first electric drill haha and a set of drill bit things to go with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Apparently you're in desperate need of a basic socket set. Lowes -> Craftsman.

That said, I believe there's actually a TSB for that thing. If rattles continue after tightening (they will...everything rattles), theres a P/N for a shorter unit.

·
Super Moderator
15,787 Posts
there's also another screw behind the interior door release handle - you have to pull that trim piece (carefully) to reveal the phillips head screw that's there.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I didn't know there is a TSB? I have the same rattle on the driver side.

I'm out of warranty so I assume that will cost me. Yes, I just turn down the bass. It used to be +3, but I think it's +1 now.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I have a rattle on my HK speakers on the right side. I believe it's coming from the passenger door. It rattles when there's some bass. I left my bass at Normal no plus 1 plus 1 or whatever. I'm still under warranty should I take it in for them to replace. I think I remember someone mentioned a link to a thread about tightening some screw pictured below or something to fix the rattle.

I thought it would be a phillips or flathead screw driver fix or something. I need new tools any suggestions on a brand or something to get me started on a set. I just got my first electric drill haha and a set of drill bit things to go with it.
Hi SRT8outtaLA, Sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
On mine, I found it was the plastic base piece at the bottom of the door pull/handle. Try cranking up the sound then pressing down on that plastic piece.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,701 Posts
TSB was for 2015-2016

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks for the TSB. My built date was Nov 2015, I'm going to guess they still did not torque it right.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,701 Posts
They created it in 2015 :) Once the TSB came out, it should have been fixed in any new cars manufactured after

A Guy

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm then i may have to take it in unless there is an easy fix. I don't want my car to come out worst than when I brought it in to fix it. hopefully it's not a very intrusive fix

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took my car in when I did the oil change last week. They said they couldn't replicate the rattle. Then they said it wasn't a problem with the speaker just that the door rattles when the bass is high and it's normal. But it isn't normal I think the left side doesn't have that rattle. Should I take it to another dealership for them to give it a shot? Dealerships never seem to be able to fix my rattle. They couldn't find the driver side rattle that comes around the seatbelt area

·
Registered
814 Posts
I took my car in when I did the oil change last week. They said they couldn't replicate the rattle.
They generally can't replicate anything. That's the standard reply on everything from every brand now.

But ask to change the cabin air filter when it's clean and been in the car for 1 week, for $120, they will do it. True story. I changed my cabin air filter the weekend before I my schedule oil change and they told me my cabin air filter was due and dirty. They did not even look. I can tell from the dust and lack of hand prints. I only trust DIY and replies from this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I took my car in when I did the oil change last week. They said they couldn't replicate the rattle. Then they said it wasn't a problem with the speaker just that the door rattles when the bass is high and it's normal. But it isn't normal I think the left side doesn't have that rattle. Should I take it to another dealership for them to give it a shot? Dealerships never seem to be able to fix my rattle. They couldn't find the driver side rattle that comes around the seatbelt area
Hi SRT8outtaLA, Thank you for following up with me here! I certainly understand your sentiments and I do regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing. If you are not satisfied with the result of your current dealer, we kindly recommend visiting a new dealership for a second opinion.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They created it in 2015 :) Once the TSB came out, it should have been fixed in any new cars manufactured after

A Guy
hmm could it possibly still be an issue? Would it somehow come loose over time? Wondering if I should print out that TSB and ask if they could try or tighten some other stuff?

At what point would they just replace the speaker for me? My Avenger had an issue and they replaced the speaker

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On mine, I found it was the plastic base piece at the bottom of the door pull/handle. Try cranking up the sound then pressing down on that plastic piece.
What year is your car? Is there a TSB for the fix? How do you fix that? Is there a screw that tightens down the plastic base piece?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,701 Posts
hmm could it possibly still be an issue? Would it somehow come loose over time? Wondering if I should print out that TSB and ask if they could try or tighten some other stuff?

At what point would they just replace the speaker for me? My Avenger had an issue and they replaced the speaker
If it were the screw, just lift the little rubber cover and tighten it, or replace it ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If it were the screw, just lift the little rubber cover and tighten it, or replace it ;)

A Guy
I still haven't bought a tool set i'm the type of person that knows I gotta spend hours researching the best value tool or tech product or whatever and I just give up before knowing how long it will take. I guess I hate making a mistake by getting or doing the wrong thing. I'll see if the dealership could tighten it,

I found the screw for the interior door handle, should I hand tighten it or use a power tool?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,701 Posts
Just hand tighten, if it's not loose, then that's not the problem. Just need a 99 cent phillips screwdriver. If you have a Swiss Army Knife, you have one ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just hand tighten, if it's not loose, then that's not the problem. Just need a 99 cent phillips screwdriver. If you have a Swiss Army Knife, you have one ;)

A Guy
I tried to hand tightened the interior door knob doesn't really budge so I think it's already tight or maybe I made it slightly tighter, can't tell. For some reason I don't really notice the rattle now. It may have heard it for a second but then not anymore. I tried isolating the speakers to the right side, may have heard a little on the left when I isolated it.

I removed these plastic covers also not sure if that would contribute to the rattling , doubt it. I also removed pretty much everything in car that I don't really need. Took out the user manual. I think I saved a pdf version on my phone. That will lighten the car and maybe give me 0.0001 horsepower. Maybe by removing the plastic pieces on and off it may have fixed it. I think i'll have to drive some more and with the right song see if it happens again. I forget which song I played that would always rattle. Will have to go through my playlist on my hour drive next time to see if it's really gone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts