Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2015 Sublime Challenger R/T - 6M - STP
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I purchased my Challenger about 2 months ago and have put about 2500 miles on it since buying, bringing the odo to just over 42k. As I'm just getting back to the muscle car scene after years of FWD cars I only recently started trying to launch the car.

So about the rattle. I've noticed that when I try a mild rpm take off at about 3000rpm I get a loud rattle sound and feel a rattle from under the driver floor/gas pedal area. This can be heard outside the car and it's noticeably loud. Like metal slapping metal under the floorboard. Kind of embarrassing when I try to show up the ricer kids 馃檪

I guess you could say it's a soft launch without spinning the tires. I bring the RPM up to just under 3k when I begin letting off the clutch, trying to give the car a quick, awesome hemi sounding launch without the cop attracting burn out. I'd say 7 out of 10 times this rattle is present.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

COR

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) First thought is exhaust, see if when cold you have any play, signs it could contact the chassis, etc.

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT

Registered
Hello everyone,

I purchased my Challenger about 2 months ago and have put about 2500 miles on it since buying, bringing the odo to just over 42k. As I'm just getting back to the muscle car scene after years of FWD cars I only recently started trying to launch the car.

So about the rattle. I've noticed that when I try a mild rpm take off at about 3000rpm I get a loud rattle sound and feel a rattle from under the driver floor/gas pedal area. This can be heard outside the car and it's noticeably loud. Like metal slapping metal under the floorboard. Kind of embarrassing when I try to show up the ricer kids 馃檪

I guess you could say it's a soft launch without spinning the tires. I bring the RPM up to just under 3k when I begin letting off the clutch, trying to give the car a quick, awesome hemi sounding launch without the cop attracting burn out. I'd say 7 out of 10 times this rattle is present.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

COR
I noticed this on both RT鈥檚 I鈥檝e owned. One was a 鈥15 with 60k miles when purchased and the other I bought last week. It鈥檚 a 2019 RT with only 8k miles. The noise I experience under the Exact conditions you described sounds like valve rattle to me..ive tried higher octane fuel and it helps slightly but the rattle is still there a bit

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I will check the exhaust and see if there is any play and let you know what I find.

Im glad someone else has noticed this. I keep 93 Octane in the tank, usually Exxon or Shell, and the sound is noticeable with either brand. Not sure if the brand of fuel matters, I ran Sunoco in my SBC cars in the past but can't find a Sunoco where I live now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I was able to look under the car after work. Didn't see anything that would indicate the exhaust is moving or making that noise, not even a good shake test would move the exhaust.

I snapped a few not so great photos in the area I hear the noise. I don't see anything when reviewing, but I don't know this car very well yet. Anyone see anything that looks out of place?

If not a problem located visually I will have to start looking into an engine problem.

Registered
Assuming we鈥檙e talking about the same rattle noise..I鈥檓 pretty confident it鈥檚 nothing external..it鈥檚 a valve rattle type of sound..I鈥檓 thinking either valve rattle or something to do with the engagement process of the clutch at a lower range of RPM. My new RT is brand new with 8k miles and it makes the same noise as my well broken in Challenger I owned before.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight Fisher. Looks like I will either have to get used to the sound or hit the gas harder and really launch the the thing 馃檪

1 - 7 of 7 Posts