Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what’s rattling? I have a 2016 challenger RT and ever since I got mufflers added I’ve started hearing a rattle when I slowly accelerate and it gets ready to shifts then when jt shifts it goes away then comes back again when it’s time to shift

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,201 Posts
Does anyone know what’s rattling? I have a 2016 challenger RT and ever since I got mufflers added I’ve started hearing a rattle when I slowly accelerate and it gets ready to shifts then when jt shifts it goes away then comes back again when it’s time to shift
My WAG would be an exhaust holder/bracket or clamp was left loose. Another explanation is the mufflers in being added somehow has at least one muffler touching something.

I could also believe based on how you describe the behavior of the "rattle" -- it is not too far fetched -- the noise is an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My WAG would be an exhaust holder/bracket or clamp was left loose. Another explanation is the mufflers in being added somehow has at least one muffler touching something.

I could also believe based on how you describe the behavior of the "rattle" -- it is not too far fetched -- the noise is an exhaust leak.
Oh really? I checked everything under the car nothings lose. So it’s a leak?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,201 Posts
Oh really? I checked everything under the car nothings lose. So it’s a leak?
If you are sure your check under the car missed nothing loose then a leak becomes more likely.

Forgot... More likely but this assumes besides nothing loose you did not miss some exhaust component touching another part of the car. The exhaust system is pretty tightly integrated with the rest of the under body and running gear. If the install was sloppy...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are sure your check under the car missed nothing loose then a leak becomes more likely.

Forgot... More likely but this assumes besides nothing loose you did not miss some exhaust component touching another part of the car. The exhaust system is pretty tightly integrated with the rest of the under body and running gear. If the install was sloppy...
I checked everything I got it on a car lift and tried to move everything. How would I spot a leak?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does the rattle sound like it’s mechanical in nature? Does it consistently get louder/faster with rise in rpm, or does it happen over bumps/more intermittently?

Also you say you had mufflers installed, are you talking about the mufflers under the mid of the car or the resonators at the rear? If mufflers I’d check to see if you have any contact from the driveshaft, or with an exhaust hangar. If resonators maybe an exhaust hangar.

if you have mechanical ability and know how to safely work on your car, lift and secure the car (jack and jack stands or lift if you’ve got access to one) and see if you can hear any clanging/rattling when shaking the exhaust back and forth. I had a hangar hitting in the rear after I installed my cat back, that’s how I found it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the rattle sound like it’s mechanical in nature? Does it consistently get louder/faster with rise in rpm, or does it happen over bumps/more intermittently?

Also you say you had mufflers installed, are you talking about the mufflers under the mid of the car or the resonators at the rear? If mufflers I’d check to see if you have any contact from the driveshaft, or with an exhaust hangar. If resonators maybe an exhaust hangar.

if you have mechanical ability and know how to safely work on your car, lift and secure the car (jack and jack stands or lift if you’ve got access to one) and see if you can hear any clanging/rattling when shaking the exhaust back and forth. I had a hangar hitting in the rear after I installed my cat back, that’s how I found it.
The mufflers. I checked nothings loose and when I step on it doesn’t rattle

·
Registered
176 Posts
The mufflers. I checked nothings loose and when I step on it doesn’t rattle
can you take a video of the noise? It’s hard to diagnose these things without hearing.

does it sound like it’s coming from inside the car? Behind or in front of you when you’re driving? Give us some detail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can you take a video of the noise? It’s hard to diagnose these things without hearing.

does it sound like it’s coming from inside the car? Behind or in front of you when you’re driving? Give us some detail.
Ok so I have cutouts and when they’re open I hear it where the cutouts dump at and when they’re closed I hear it at the back of the car

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,696 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts