Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe this member deserves some sort of an honorable mention for the thread "Timing chain failure on the Dodge Challenger" 11/30/2011.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/timing-chain-failure-dodge-challenger-69216/

The thread provided information and a haven that brought to light a flaw initially not taken seriously by Dodge and it's affiliates. Without pointing fingers, some were quick to judge these instances normal. But through raVenX's perseverance and that of others, justice was served in the form of a recall.

raVenX's thread provided a registry whereby members could post the mileage and circumstances under which the breaks occurred illustrating how wide a problem this really was.

Our cars (or cars in general) are not perfect and this is an example of how valuable a tool forums like Challenger Talk are and the importance of communication.

Thanks again raVenX and all others that helped make this happen! Cheers! :guiness:

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Yup......Kudos to raVenX.......I think 19johned53 also pushed this issue a lot too. I had just sold my 2009 RT A5 when Dodge finally admitted to the problem and recall. I agree completely with how helpful this CT forum and several other forums on the net have been to me and many others with our Challengers.......The best damn car on the planet..........IMHO............ :5:

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Very much appreciated all. Good to see the issue come full circle and have it resolved with a recall. My car currently has 82,000 miles but after discovering the issue (at about 40,000 miles), I began driving only in manual mode on the freeway which enabled me to get over 80,000 miles without a failure. That would not have been possible, or at least very unlikely, had the issue not been brought to light and with the help of those who chimed into to the original thread and allowed the thread to do what it was intended to do and narrow down the problem so that we could avoid it.

Special shout outs also to Desert Bum, Hal H, hmk123, Force10, 19johned53, and all those to posted in the original thread in earnest and to help rather than hinder with identifying the problem.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
raVenX, you took the time, had the persistence, and stayed the course on a subject that appeared to be a growing failure.

When it got "HOT" in the kitchen, you just kept cooking! :)

In this day and age, that's rare, and my "hats off" to you.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
raVenx certainly deserves the credit, as he does for starting what is by far the longest running thread on CT - "What did you do to your Challenger today??" He also happens to be a great friend, and the best President ever of West Coast Challengers! A tip of the hat to you, raVenx!

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Wow. You really deserve a BIG THANK YOU.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Yes, indeed! RavenX is the man. Thank you for all the hard work! It has paid off well at the end!

Kudos to you Brock Samson for this thread. Great idea!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
A sincere thank you raVenX -

raVenX's dedication with the members of Challengertalk's persistance to resolve and not just live with the issue, all were sucessful in moving a large, non-communicating and "technically arrogant" organization to agree to do the right thing. Amazing - might be the single greatest "mod" to the challenger. I know I sleep better at night. :bigthumb:
Chuck

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
One cool dude and a good friend to many who never knew/know him, jumped in and helped WAY back when TOC was just a thought he is our Honorary Texan and WCC will always be our fellow UnClub, YES helpful and still cool da BEST!! :D:D:D

Reactions: raVenX

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I have to agree. thank you raVenX. The timing chain thread gave alot of information, and your what did you do to your car thread is one of my favorites to read. I love seeing what people are doing to their cars and have gotten many good ideas from it. Kudos to you.:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Thanks again all, I am very humbled. Just know that it was Rattler249, a fellow club and ChallengerTalk member, who lived many hours away and came to almost every club event that we had putting untold miles on his car, who was ground zero for the timing chain failures. Without his engine failures (yes, two of them), I am confident that the problem would still be out there, totally unnoticed, and people would be paying for the repairs out of their own pocket.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's great to see the names of other members coming to light on this thread. it takes a community, huh?

I'm sure there are "lurkers" (they have a right to) out there that also benefitted from learning something here. Future Challengers buyers know to look for this recall having been performed before making a purchase. Every car has its problems.

Don't get me wrong, this is still one of the baddest muscle machines on the street.

Thanks raVenX for the insight into Rattler249's contribution. A distinction none of us would ever hope to earn. I can't imagine what going through TWO engine failures feels like. I would have been fit to be tied!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts