Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Srt Challenger
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodmorning everyone. I’m hoping I can get some good input from you guys and gals! I recently purchased a 2011 srt challenger with a 2.8 Kenne bell supercharger, and a cat back exhaust I live in NY , but I purchased the car in Indiana. It was a gamble purchasing the car out of state,but the car is very clean and taken care of. All paperwork and receipts supplied. Driving the car home was great, the car drove flawlessly. Upon getting it home I took it to get a nys inspection. They told me the the o2&cat readiness. Not ready. After several drive cycles ( Dodge Challenger specific). No luck. I ended up taking the car to a speed shop. After almost a month later. Still no car and I’m into it at about 3400.00. New o2cencors& fuel injectors, thermostat, a few cacuum
Leaks on the supercharger. They have been taking it out on numerous drive cycles (several hundred miles so far). No luck. They are a reputable shop I Have put
My trust into them. I’m not sure what I should do at this point. Has anyone had an issue like this?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Here is an "outside the box" thought. With HPTuners, you can "force" the readiness monitors to show a "Ready" state. HPTuners isn't cheap, but it's much cheaper than what you have already put into it....

I've had to use this on my 2012 Impala once to get it inspected - simply because I had disconnected the battery for some audio gear work a few days before inspection - and the readiness monitors are a pain in the rear to get set on the Impala. After inspection, I put the readiness monitors back to normal and then eventually were set on their own after a while.

Once it's inspected, you can either re-enable the monitors or just leave them in the "forced" state if you really wanted.

Like I said, just an 'out of the box' idea....

DISCLAIMER: This isn't exactly "legal", but it would allow you to get the car inspected so you can at least drive it while you work to figure out the issue. :)

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
$3400!? Wow that's an insane price to solve an O2 readiness problem. What's the exhaust setup (headers? High flow cats?) and is it the kenne bell tune or aftermarket?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,788 Posts
I bet the DTCs for O2 sensors and/or the rear O2s are ignored by ramping the engine temp to the point that they never go closed loop. Had a heck of a time getting my O2 and Cat monitors to complete only to discover after I got HP tuners (car was originally tuned with diablo) that this was done in my tune. Since I live in IL this would not fly with emissions. Undid all the changes the tuner performed and had a buddy sit in the car reading the drive cycle instructions. Had one stubborn (slow to respond) O2 sensor which I replaced (actually replace all of them with OEM) and car passed emissions last October and that was with a magnuson and LT headers with high flow cats.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
Is there a way for you to post/upload a copy of your tune that we can look at? It sounds like they're just guessing and changing parts (and running up your bill from the sounds of that $3400 bill).

I don't know much about Dodge tuning but did get my catless, Vortech blown C5 able to pass OBDII port and sniffer tests for emissions and there are others on here that are Considerably smarter than me, but maybe we can figure things out and save you some time and money.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,788 Posts
You can get a HP tuners and a lot of credits with $3400. Heck you can get HP tuners and someone to email tune the car for less then that.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I turned the monitors off in my chevy with a cat delete. Are you sure previous owner didn't do the same when tuned?

·
Registered
2011 Srt Challenger
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They did install new o2cencors, all new fuel injectors. (Which required removing the supercharger), and installed all new spark plugs, replaced new thermostat, fixed several vacuum leaks that were present on the supercharger. Not sure if that is 3400 dollars worth.

The car has a ken belle tune, and has a cat back exhaust.

I have to make a decision this week as to wether I’m going to take it elsewhere. This week will be 4 Weeks he had it. 4weeks to get an inspection. Wtf!!!

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
If the exhaust manifolds and cats are stock I honestly don't see how you can be having O2 issues other than bad tune/ bad sensor. $3400 is crazy to spend for an inspection, for that much you could probably have gone back to stock, got it inspected, and then put the blower back on.

Do you have a Diablo handheld or Hptuner that came with the car? If you do post the tune file on here

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,204 Posts
Yeah, if you can send me an HP Tuners file I can probably fix it and send it back to you.

If I can't, one of us probably can. And I won't charge you anything.

·
Registered
2011 Srt Challenger
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will definitely get back to you. I’m going in to talk to the guy tomorrow. Thanks!

He had told me that the tune was all out of what. So he adjusted things then he said he had to replace the plugs and the injectors . He says the car runs far better than when he first looked at it. Again. Why isn’t it passing emissions then!

I only had the car for a few days prior. So I really didn’t get to learn much about it. I just thought I going in for an inspection, man was I Wrong!

I want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. But after almost 4weeks and 3400. Patience is wearing thin

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,788 Posts
If you have HP tuners and you have read the tune here are some things to look for:

Check if this setting is maxed out, if it is the rear O2 is disabled

Also check if in engine diag. these DTCs are unchecked, if unchecked then they are disabled

·
Registered
2011 Srt Challenger
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update! I got the car back today. She Runs sweet. Turns out it was in the tune. They had to contact ken belle ,and They worked together and resolved the issue. This was one expensive. Nys inspection! Lol.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,788 Posts
It should not have cost you that much if that speedshop did what they should have done from the beginning and that is looked at the tune rather throwing parts and labor at the problem. Most of the base tunes on the supercharger kits are garbage and you really need a shop that knows what they are doing to get the tune dialed in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts