Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Ready to buy. Cars are almost exactly the same price. I’ll take any opinions all are welcome.
Should I order new Redeye Wide body or a numbers matching 1970 Cuda 440 6 pack 4 speed Dana 60 super track pack.
In 5 years , 10 years 20 years which will be worth more?
Thank you

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Good question, depends on how many Redeye Widebody Chargers and with what options are built, no manual option. How many 440 6pac 4spd 'Cudas were built for 1970 and are matching numbers around today? The 'Cuda is a collectible and something that you wouldn't want to put many miles on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,421 Posts
70 big block 6 pack, 4gear pistol grip 'Cuda is only going to climb in value,provided they dont totally outlaw gasoline based engines (the push is already underway, but I digress)
Hellcats as a norm, will not be collectable in the short term..simply too many of them out there now & parts are abundant to keep those going for years & years. In fact, value wise, hellcat will loose value in the short term, the minute you drive it off the lot - as all new cars do. In 25-30 years?..who knows.

As for seat of the pants, bang for the buck enjoyment for TODAY, hellcat by a stretch. With the Cuda, mileage, authenticity & condition preservation will play an important part of ownership..always worried about wrinkling a fender, dinging the trim or other catastrophies that can occurr on a driven car.
If you moth ball it, what "fun" is that?
From the performance / tech standpoints, the 2 cars are not even remotely comparable.
Youd have to totally redo & heavily mod the cuda (not advised whatsoever) to even dip a toe into the realm of the hellcats perf and modernization.
Just my opinion, my owning both types of cars.
The question is, what is your goal?
collectable/log term value/asset - or - drive the wheels off fun 200% today.

·
Super Moderator
17,434 Posts
two entirely different vehicles to drive

if you buy the '70 Cuda - does it become too valuable to drive it? buying for investment?

With the Redeye its a drive it all the time proposition. Presently ~ 2,800 built each year since 2019 and the model (in current form) goes for a few more model years - so for collector status...that's a 35 - 40 year proposition in the future and and unknown.

the Demon and Super Stock will probably be the more rare and valuable in future years

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,086 Posts
A big unknown is the condition of the Cuda. If buying for an investment, I'm sure there are much better options for an investment. To drive the Cuda will depreciate the investment, so it will get very few miles (and enjoyment), or lose value.

To have to drive, the Hellcat has better brakes, better suspension, better gas mileage, better seats, better reliability...more power, more reliable.

If the choice is which one, as much as I love a 70 Cuda, for me it's a no brainer. If the question was "I am considering this 70 Cuda, is it a good investment", that would again depend on use, or non use. But a which one indicates a car to drive to me, and while the nostalgia says the Cuda, the brain says the Hellcat

A Guy

Reactions: Klink

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
376 Posts
Hi,

My opinion is the 1970, will be worth more, the current day muscle cars will be worth more in 25-30 years, as the demographic that always wanting one and can't afford one now should be financially able to afford one by then, and the supply of decent cars then will make a lot fewer than now.

Its much the same way 10-15 years ago when we all went out and bought a classic car from our youth.

If you can get both, would put a smile on your face every time you open the garage door.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have had a 1970 Challenger RT/SE 440 for 34 years. I had an 09 SRT8 for 10 years and I'm now in a wide body Scatpack.
If you want to look at the car, get the Cuda. If you want to drive it and enjoy it as was meant to be, get the new one.
I've put more miles on my 50th in the last 4 months than I have on the 70 in 34 years.

Reactions: Grumpy59

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have hhd a 70 Challenger and 69 Charger for close 30 years and while they are awesome to look at, I'd much rather drive the wifes 18 T/A or my 17 Ram 2500.
The old mopars are lucky to see 10 miles a year sadly

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,
Carefully read everybody’s comments. I agree with all of them. LOL.
Seriously everybody’s input really did help me. It reminded me of things already knew and pointed out some things I didn’t. I’m 57 and really enjoyed the old muscle cars but I’ve never experienced the power of the new muscle cars. I watched a video with Jay Leno and one of the singers from the carpenters about his 70 Cuda and it looked like old guys driving an old car. A few comments stood out in the video to me were Jay Leno saying about his 70 Hemi Challenger “driving this old muscle car it’s like walking around with the a sock stuffed in your pants” lol “ And the carpenter guy saying sometimes when he drives people don’t even know what it is they don’t relate to it different generation somebody made a model T example. Anyways I just wanted to bring the thread full circle. going to order my new RE WB see Everyone around the fourms

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.