Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a Challenger srt hemi 392 shaker or srt hellcat. I love the shaker hood and would love to put a vortech supercharger. Or I can spend another 10000.00 more and get the hellcat. I would love to have a supercharger 392 hemi shaker but idk what to do. I have always been a Mopar guy( first car Plymouth roadrunner). I got a 2003 mustang mach1 and the only reason was there were not any muscle cars out then.

·
Registered
800 Posts
A 392 is not as boost friendly but people make over hellcat power on a stock bottom end 392 and supercharger combo.

I also am a fan of shakers so I?d vote go the 392, procharge it (or put a magie on top and get a custom shaker bracket) and keep people guessing as to the power you make and what is under the hood. Hellcats to me are just too hyped.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
939 Posts
If you can afford the Hellcat, get it. The factory did all the engineering and hard work and there is a good selection of new leftover cats out there with a warranty.

Besides, you could pull the badges if you want to be stealthier. They look a lot like SRT 392s otherwise.

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
...there is a good selection of new leftover cats out there with a warranty.
Check Cargurus online for prices on year old Helcats. They are everywhere. Lotta guys buying these things on impulse but the payments, gas mileage, and insurance are killing them. Their loss can become your gain.
Another thought:
You mentioned a Shaker. Is that air scoop, which is actually attached to the engine, going to fit and be functional if you choose to supercharge?
One last thing:
Should you choose to sell your supercharged 392, know that it's nearly impossible. Buyers are certainly willing to buy a used Helcat, but a "homemade" supercharged 392 is a very different story. Don't mean to sound judgmental, but buyers are scared of non factory upgrades. So if you decide to go that route, good for you, but make sure you plan to keep it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Get the Hellcat.

You can get good used Hellcats with remainder of factory warranty for $45-50K.

Remember, with a Hellcat your starting with 707 hp (underrated) / high 10 sec. 1/4 mile with only drag radials and a decent driver, right out of the gate.

If you decide the 707 factory hp is not enough, you can easily upgrade the pulley(s),injectors and custom tune to run 850-900 hp for around $2-4K.

Also, with the release of the Demon, there should be more factory plug and play upgrades for the Hellcat.

Here is a quick video I took showing the Hellcat's acceleration with drag radials on an old farm road:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
That's exactly why I would NOT own a Hellcat.

No farm roads around here.

Just my luck I'd be holding a camera while I was driving (honest officer, I was trying to take a selfie...) and I'd run into a cow :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
That's exactly why I would NOT own a Hellcat.

No farm roads around here.

Just my luck I'd be holding a camera while I was driving (honest officer, I was trying to take a selfie...) and I'd run into a cow :)

Plenty of wide open empty farm roads within 5-10 minutes from my home (no cows, only corn and beans).

Makes for some very fun cool morning/evening runs.

I am getting good use out of my Hellcat and almost done with my second set of drag radials. :grin2:

Reactions: silver scat

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Plenty of wide open empty farm roads within 5-10 minutes from my home (no cows, only corn and beans).

Makes for some very fun cool morning/evening runs.

I am getting good use out of my Hellcat and almost done with my second set of drag radials. :grin2:

Now ya got me curious: how long does a set of those tires last on your car? I imagine they're not cheap.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Now ya got me curious: how long does a set of those tires last on your car? I imagine they're not cheap.
If you keep an eye out for them on eBay, you can find (2) Nitto 555R 305/35/20 tires for just under $600 w/ free shipping at different times of the year (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Labor Day sales, etc.)
Otherwise you will probably pay around $640 w/ free shipping for (2) tires.

I have got around 7-8K miles out of each set (no long smokey burnouts).
That is right at the wear bars, so you could go a little longer but I choose not to.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you keep an eye out for them on eBay, you can find (2) Nitto 555R 305/35/20 tires for just under $600 w/ free shipping at different times of the year (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Labor Day sales, etc.)
Otherwise you will probably pay around $640 w/ free shipping for (2) tires.

I have got around 7-8K miles out of each set (no long smokey burnouts).
That is right at the wear bars, so you could go a little longer but I choose not to.
Wow: that's NOT a lot of miles. Had no idea a set of tires could wear out so quickly. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Buy as much factory HP or CI's that you can afford.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm going to get a Challenger srt hemi 392 shaker or srt hellcat. I love the shaker hood and would love to put a vortech supercharger. Or I can spend another 10000.00 more and get the hellcat. I would love to have a supercharger 392 hemi shaker but idk what to do. I have always been a Mopar guy( first car Plymouth roadrunner). I got a 2003 mustang mach1 and the only reason was there were not any muscle cars out then.
I owned a shaker a while ago. You can not put a supercharger on a shaker and keep the shaker. Doesn't work that way. If do supercharge a 392, you will lose your engine warranty right away. Don't do it. Go look for a NEW 2016 or 2017 Hellcat. Lots to be had on dealer lots with full factory warranty. Start with cars.com, then dodge.com, make a lot of phone calls, and don't let a dealer tell you the Hellcat is a rare car worthy of a markup. Fight for a big discount on a new leftover. If the car was that rare and everyone wanted one, they wouldn't have them leftover sitting on the lot.

Post pictures of whatever you buy.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I agree with everyone.

If you want to supercharge a 392, just get a Hellcat. Job is already done for you and it comes with a warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,758 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,067 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Agreed with everyone else. Get an HC if you want a supercharged Challenger.

Oh, welcome from Colorado!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts