Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Pretty new to this forum. Decided I'm gonna drop some coun on an R/T. You probably remember the days when you were debating what ya want, looking, deciding, etc. Fun, but frustrating search. Lol.
First off, it's gonna hafta be used. Haven't even driven an RT yet, only a 6cyl GT. I've decided '15 or newer, automatic. Really love a scat, but mandatory 93 gas, and the extra few grand are holding me back. Sometimes I think it may be a compromise I should make and wait/save a lil longer, but idk man. I'm 63yr old. Daily driver late model F150 4x4Lariat (live it btw).
I'll tell ya, these used car prices are horrible! 2 yr old ones with 20k are the same as MSRP a couple yrs ago on a new one!
Alot of black ones out there. Love it, my truck is black, but don't wanna maintain the appearance of ANOTHER black vehicle. Love to find a GO MANGO!!!!!!!!
Anyways, mostly just venting. Please share any of your thoughts towards "settling" with a 5.7, your experience with choosing, buying, anything I should be thinking about.
I've also going to have to widen my search distance. Also, wow? These Vroom, Carvana ads are a joke. From what I'm understanding from a friggin robot is, ya gotta buy the damn car sight unseen, then if not happy, return it for a refund within 7 days? Convenient, but NO THANK YOU!
TiA

Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
Welcome to the forum!

I "settled" on a 5.7, and as my very first V8 I can't even begin to describe the amount of fun I have with it every single time I go for a drive. Personally, I went for new because I didn't like an idea of driving a used muscle car. Something about how the previous owner (ab)used a car would always scratch my brain so I decided to simply go new and never worry.

We have horrible experience with factory orders up here in Canada, so my anecdotal evidence is obviously skewed. But even after 7 months of waiting, it was worth it. Just be mindful of the fact that there is a global parts shortage and factory orders are slow while used prices are high. It's a seller's market, so be ready for it.

Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
Hi guys. Pretty new to this forum. Decided I'm gonna drop some coun on an R/T. You probably remember the days when you were debating what ya want, looking, deciding, etc. Fun, but frustrating search. Lol.
First off, it's gonna hafta be used. Haven't even driven an RT yet, only a 6cyl GT. I've decided '15 or newer, automatic. Really love a scat, but mandatory 93 gas, and the extra few grand are holding me back. Sometimes I think it may be a compromise I should make and wait/save a lil longer, but idk man. I'm 63yr old. Daily driver late model F150 4x4Lariat (live it btw).
I'll tell ya, these used car prices are horrible! 2 yr old ones with 20k are the same as MSRP a couple yrs ago on a new one!
Alot of black ones out there. Love it, my truck is black, but don't wanna maintain the appearance of ANOTHER black vehicle. Love to find a GO MANGO!!!!!!!!
Anyways, mostly just venting. Please share any of your thoughts towards "settling" with a 5.7, your experience with choosing, buying, anything I should be thinking about.
I've also going to have to widen my search distance. Also, wow? These Vroom, Carvana ads are a joke. From what I'm understanding from a friggin robot is, ya gotta buy the damn car sight unseen, then if not happy, return it for a refund within 7 days? Convenient, but NO THANK YOU!
TiA
A 2015+ 5.7 with auto will definitely go. I had a 2015 5.7 Charger. It was a totally different drivetrain then my 2006 5.7 Charger. Some extra HP plus that 8sp auto made it much, much nicer.
I can't help on pricing, other than find one you love, not like, and make an offer with a "call me back" type of deal.
A 6.4 is yet another level, but 95% of the time I'm sure I wouldn't even notice if someone swapped a 5.7 back into mine. But that other 5%... 馃槇

Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
I say hold out for the color you want, particularly since you have another (black) vehicle. It'll make this one more special each time you drive it.

I agree on prices, they're very high right now. I bought a new Scat Pack last year. I went to the dealer to look at a used one year old Scat Pack with 4k miles on it and it was the same price as the new one :unsure:

As for the 5.7 vs 6.4, i say chase the deal. The 5.7 cars can be beefed up with aftermarket stuff easier than the 6.4 so if you like to tinker and add stuff go with the 5.7 maybe. I went with the 6.4 and I'm not sure I could go any smaller at this point but that's just me. I'm sure I'd feel the same if I'd started with a Hellcat but the 6.4 is a rocket. repeatedly does 4.2 0-60 pulls on the three season Pirellis and I'm not expert.

good luck on the hunt!, better come back with photos once you land it!

Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
Get what you really want not what you will go ok and settle for so maybe holding out with patience you still find a deal and closer to what you want. Also check Vin for Recalls and Wreck history on the Car.

Premium Member
From your post I would say you will not be as happy with anything but a 6.4 in a bright color. Yes, prices are bad right now but unlikely to improve anytime soon.
All I can say is that when I bought my 21' SPWB Shaker this year, I bit the bullet and paid more than I had planned. But now, in hindsight, I am sooo glad I did.
Had I "settled" for the 5.7, I would not be as thrilled as much as I am every time I lean on the throttle. And I would have always wondered "what if"......
Good luck and keep us updated! :)

Premium Member
I think it mostly depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you're going to be going to the track every weekend, go with the Scat, but at 63yrs young I'm betting you're going to be driving on the street and on the street the 345ci (I hate liter designations) motor is more than enough. It's capable of doubling almost any posted speedlimit, an automatic doesn't require premium fuel and you get darn good mpg. I personally don't believe it's "settling" at all. I have had my '12 R/T Classic going on 5yrs now and still can't help but smile each and every time I take her out.

Good luck with the search...

Reactions: Superdog

Registered
Hi Superdog: Glad you decided to get a Challenger. It is a exciting and sometimes frustrating trying to find one or spec it out at the dealers. some hide the Moroney sticker and others won't show a price.
yeah skip those buy sight unseen types and stay away from 'truecar' they are nothing but collectors to sell your information to spammers. We had dealers calling us a year and a half after buying the Challenger, they are absolutely the worst.

Look at Car Guru's for searches, it will let you put in what you are looking for and it will show you local to further out, Car Guru is pretty easy to use and no one calls you unless you contact the dealer directly. Choose color, or motor specific, shaker, Blind spot & Cross path detection, cold weather group. Its good to find what you are looking for, you can define specific year.

if you are strictly used cars, you can try the Carfox ( Carfax) it has a pretty good search feature. I call it the carfox, its not bad, wore it out on the Jeep.
Good luck and hope you are successful
Best regards
parrott

Reactions: Superdog

Premium Member
I think it mostly depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you're going to be going to the track every weekend, go with the Scat, but at 63yrs young I'm betting you're going to be driving on the street and on the street the 345ci (I hate liter designations) motor is more than enough. It's capable of doubling almost any posted speedlimit, an automatic doesn't require premium fuel and you get darn good mpg. I personally don't believe it's "settling" at all. I have had my '12 R/T Classic going on 5yrs now and still can't help but smile each and every time I take her out.

Good luck with the search...
"don't believe it's "settling" at all"
I agree. That's why I put it in quotation marks. It's subjective. But for me it would have been.

"doubling almost any posted speedlimit"
So would my Toyota Sienna I traded on my Scat. Just sayin'!

Registered
I'm 70 plus, and I bought my first Challenger two years ago, used. It's a 2013 Challenger R/T Classic, Hemi Orange Pearl. I smile every time I take the cover off, and I grin every time I drive it. I am completely happy with the 5.7L. My only regret is that I didn't buy a newer model, maybe 2015 or so, with the Shaker option, and maybe I will be trading up to a newer model next year that has the shaker, in my color, Hemi Orange Pearl. But, with 13K on the odometer, it might be hard to let this one go. Welcome to the forum

Premium Member
i love my new go mango challenger, it was tough choosing with all the fine colors available but i think i chose well.

View attachment 1024297
Couldn't agree more.
Only reason I didn't get Mango is I wanted the Ruby Red Interior.
It's stunning!

Reactions: FreddyG

Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
I'm 70 plus, and I bought my first Challenger two years ago, used. It's a 2013 Challenger R/T Classic, Hemi Orange Pearl. I smile every time I take the cover off, and I grin every time I drive it. I am completely happy with the 5.7L. My only regret is that I didn't buy a newer model, maybe 2015 or so, with the Shaker option, and maybe I will be trading up to a newer model next year that has the shaker, in my color, Hemi Orange Pearl. But, with 13K on the odometer, it might be hard to let this one go. Welcome to the forum
13K on a 2013 hasn't even broken in yet still a youngin as they say down South!!!

Registered
As mentioned, premium fuel is not required for the 5.7L automatics. It is for the 6.4L, but it's 91, not 93. You can fill 2 parts 93 to 1 part 87 to get 91 net. Saves a handful of dollars a tank. Unless you drive a whole lot of miles per year, the gas price difference is not really all that much money. Regarding engine - I'm sure you'll be happy with the 5.7L, but I settled for the 5.7 before getting my current 6.4. They are not the same by any stretch. You'll be much happier with the 6.4.

As far as new/used, I'd suggest you really look at what you're giving up buying used and how much you are actually saving in the bottom line, fully-negotiated deal. Used car prices are insane right now, and if you can swing it, it's better to just buy new.

Registered
Just found a Gomango 1320 with the exact options I wanted except it has a sunroof (not a huge deal I guess). But its also on the west coast so it may be a hassle to try to work something out. They have a 3.5k discount on it and if I used my coupon that would make it 4.5k off, so if shipping ended up being 1.5k or so it wouldn't be too bad. I just checked Carmax to get a price on my car and it is down to 25.5k so that is a couple grand less than I expected. I just checked KBB again too and it is saying 31.5k so I guess I need to check some more places.

Never mind guys, they just called and said they don't offer shipping and I would have to come out to get the special deal. So back to the drawing board. I guess it is looking like I will have to order one, just hate to waste this summer and not get it until almost fall.

Premium Member
Hellraisin 2021 SPWB Shaker
I had a 2016 5.7/A8 before my 2019 6.4/A8. The 2016 was a lot of fun. Totally respectable responsible-guy muscle car that will always put a smile on your face when you stomp on it. I upgraded to a 2019 SPWB and would classify it as borderline-irresponsible. The 6.4 is definitely fast enough to do something stupid in, and you need to actively manage traction in a way that isn't necessary with a 5.7, especially in the rain. If you're an adrenalin junkie, you want the 6.4.

Registered
Around here, they are selling a 2018 345 Shaker for list price, $44k.

We ordered a 2021 Go Mango 345 6-speed Shaker with a couple more options, sticker is $44100. No way I'd pay full price for a 3 year old car. Used car prices are absurd.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree. Idk what I'll do. Was looking at FB Marketplace, turns out a guy I knew as a teenager and smoked a fatties with,(recognized the name) has a 2020 scat, black, A8, 10k miles, pristine. $45k. More than I've budgeted, but that's prolly what I'd get if I were to splurge. I really REALLY want orange tho! 馃檪

1 - 20 of 31 Posts