Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have a 2016 392 SRT. Gonna get a Procharger. I know the question has to have come up, but do Helical gears affect performance? Is the noise difference THAT significant? Also a dumb question, I’m sure my warranties will be voided by adding this?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Hi all! I have a 2016 392 SRT. Gonna get a Procharger. I know the question has to have come up, but do Helical gears affect performance? Is the noise difference THAT significant? Also a dumb question, I’m sure my warranties will be voided by adding this?
Gear type should not impact how the procharger spins and provides boost. It does however, impact how the gears mesh and generate noise. My buddy bought a non-helical for his Bimmer and it is very pronounced. Check youtube for comparisons. I don't care for the noise but my buddy loves it. As for warranty, the dealership will probably blame any powertrain/driveline issues on the extra power from the super charger so getting any warranty work on those systems would probably be rejected.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi all! I have a 2016 392 SRT. Gonna get a Procharger. I know the question has to have come up, but do Helical gears affect performance? No. Is the noise difference THAT significant? In my opinion yes. I have the helical gears in my D1 and think it's perfect. You can hear it whistle in and outside of the vehicle. The standard gears are very loud and sounds like the blower has marbles in it. Again this is my opinion. Also a dumb question, I’m sure my warranties will be voided by adding this? I would not expect any dealer to honor the power-train warranty after a blower has been installed.
Good luck with your build, the Procharger is a great addition to the 392.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a D1SC with Helical gears and other than a slight whine just off idle it's pretty quiet . I have been told the standard gears sound like cats in a blender.
I would recommend upgrading to the race intercooler . my IAT's are consistently 5-8 degrees above ambient . VERY important.. especially if not forging the lower end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i just had procharger installed on my 6.1 and have driven it about 500 miles. plan on a traction problem! also if i could do it over would go with a roots type!

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is my old novi1500 setup, but it had straight cut gears.. It is a good example of the noise you will see without helical cut gears..
Personally, I LOVED the noise.. It sounded extremely menacing at all times, and pulled like a friggin freight train all the way up to 6500rpms.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I’m totally psyched. Taking it in tomorrow for install. I researched and spoke with a lot of peeps and decided to go with the helical gears. My next challenges obviously will be traction and wheelhop. My only mods were a Diablo time, Hellcat airbox and 87mm tb and even then it would really bear down and sometimes spin and bounce. I’ve got a 6spd.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I’m totally psyched. Taking it in tomorrow for install. I researched and spoke with a lot of peeps and decided to go with the helical gears. My next challenges obviously will be traction and wheelhop. My only mods were a Diablo time, Hellcat airbox and 87mm tb and even then it would really bear down and sometimes spin and bounce. I’ve got a 6spd.
Enjoy it. I added a D1SC, then 90mmTB, smaller pulley for more boost, HP tuner.. Think I need to go back to 3.06. It's never enough LOL.. Now adding Fore dual pump return fuel system, 95 lb injectors.. Almost ready for the dyno. Good luck with your install. btw, 2010 6.1, BBK 90mm, 3.73

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enjoy it. I added a D1SC, then 90mmTB, smaller pulley for more boost, HP tuner.. Think I need to go back to 3.06. It's never enough LOL.. Now adding Fore dual pump return fuel system, 95 lb injectors.. Almost ready for the dyno. Good luck with your install. btw, 2010 6.1, BBK 90mm, 3.73
That's sweet! I got helical gears but love the high pitch or whistle sound it makes....My next move obviously is to get some drag radials....man traction is crazy since I got it...funny how I got the procharger JUST in time to put it up for the winter...I do have a barton shifter coming in next week, went with the flat, black stick with the Barton engraving in go Mango and the ball in go mango...

I wanna lower it now too. >:)

If I added a my 87 TB back onto it and made any other mods, how do I tweak the tune Procharger put on it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's sweet! I got helical gears but love the high pitch or whistle sound it makes....My next move obviously is to get some drag radials....man traction is crazy since I got it...funny how I got the procharger JUST in time to put it up for the winter...I do have a barton shifter coming in next week, went with the flat, black stick with the Barton engraving in go Mango and the ball in go mango...

I wanna lower it now too. >:)

If I added a my 87 TB back onto it and made any other mods, how do I tweak the tune Procharger put on it?
I am working through adding HP tune and cant get it to run yet, but what tuner are you using?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It was a Diablosport
I have a boost tune I'll attach that I had from my Diablo trinity. Maybe you can view to see what differences there are.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts