Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since day 1 I've had some shifting issues with my 6MT '15 RT Shaker +. Did the skip shift eliminator, removed clutch delay valve, installed (and uninstalled) Barton, had transmission replaced under warranty with Dodge and recently had the clutch replaced along with slave and master cylinders.. followed by flushing and replacing of the clutch fluid as well as the brake fluid. The transmission fluid was also replaced with RP synchromesh.

Things get better, but there is still a problem. Sometimes it shifts smooth and sometimes I'm pushing past notches to get into gear. I was convinced that I could fix it but 3 years later and everyone kinda saying they're out of ideas at this point, I'm reaching the end of my rope. Independent shop found drivetrain damage, so I'm having that replaced under warranty and I'll make another attempt to have Dodge do something about it. New transmission, new clutch.. what is left?

You can view my history if you want more details. Most of you guys are probably sick of hearing my sob stories at this point. I don't like to give up and I do like everything about the car outside of this persistent issue, especially as I am someone who drives into the city.

·
Super Moderator
16,322 Posts
the Tremecs (some of them) take some miles for break in / wear in.

I definitely noticed this on my 2009 - by about 13 - 14k it was smoother shifting and the cold drive 1st > 2nd shift improved a lot more.

by contrast my '16 drove like a nicely broken in transmission from day 1

there's variations in tolerances that will affect how they feel. Even some of the new ones will vary from one to another

Reactions: trigger657

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,213 Posts
About 2 weeks ago I traded in my Hellcat with its A8 for a 2020 Scat Pack with a 6-speed.

Loving the Scat Pack but I can tell you the transmission is not at the same level as my 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo's 6-speed transmission (at least the one that the factory installed under warranty to address a leak) or my 2002 Boxster's 5-speed.

Both transmissions shifted like a dream. Never any difficulty selecting a gear, no crunching, no issues at all -- 161K miles Turbo; 317K miles Boxster -- with the exception of the Boxster the transmission manifested all the bad it could when what proved to be the case of my letting the brake fluid go too long before servicing. But after I had the brake fluid flushed and bled along with the clutch fluid -- the clutch hydraulic system shared fluid with the brake hydraulic system -- the transmission went back to its smooth shifting behavior. The clutch action improved considerably too.

But the Scat Pack transmission ain't bad. Have only around 800 miles on the Scat Pack. And admittedly I'm a bit out of practice driving a manual. Also, old habits die hard: I still sometimes find myself reaching for the +paddle to shift.

However, I do not think the Scat Pack manual will ever be the equal of the two manuals in my Porsche car.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I definitely agree with above about break-in. Both 6 speeds I've owned have gotten smoother with more km.

This is not the smoothest transmission in the world by any means. You do have to wait until they're fully warmed up. Even then, I've learned that timing of the shifts is important as well for smoothness. I kept trying to shift too early and felt the "hang up". But if I hold gears longer (even at light throttle, gentle acceleration), it's smooth as butter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Compared to the 6 spd in my Caterham 7, the Challenger change is awful. Caterham is a short lever, bolted to the actual box, connected directly to the change mechanism. Suits the car - light, fast - "snickety" . . if thats a word.

The Challenger change, now I've lubed the input splines to the clutch friction disc can move freely, added a Barton shift (with one of the bias springs removed) and got more used to it - its not too bad. Sort of feels right for the car - heavier, more solid, and dare I say it, slow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be clear, I have almost 40k miles on it. I have notchiness in several gears, not just in 2nd which I understand is fairly common for this vehicle.

@BlackHemi41 I'd like to hear more about your experience, as I do find sometimes shifting is perfect and sometimes it's crunchy. I'm wondering if the difference in the timing of my shifts. What RPM do you find shifting is easiest? I will experiment a bit but perhaps it is the nature of the beast in this heavy transmission.

I keep thinking I want to address underlying issues but perhaps it's time to grin and bear it and put the barton back in that I felt exasperated the issues, but perhaps I overestimated the shifting experience in my first muscle car. The good news is the new clutch, draining of fluids have made things better

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,213 Posts
I definitely agree with above about break-in. Both 6 speeds I've owned have gotten smoother with more km.

This is not the smoothest transmission in the world by any means. You do have to wait until they're fully warmed up. Even then, I've learned that timing of the shifts is important as well for smoothness. I kept trying to shift too early and felt the "hang up". But if I hold gears longer (even at light throttle, gentle acceleration), it's smooth as butter.
Good point about timing. With my previous manuals I could shift quick and did so. The Scat Pack transmission needs a bit more time. But if I am too slow too much time is not good either. I think part of a good shifting manual is the driver adapting to its "quirks". I'm not saying one needs to put up with a bad transmission but learn to live with a good one that just has some well, quirks, is part of the manual transmission experience.

Sort of like the A8 in my Hellcat. A nice transmission to be sure but it had some quirks that I learned to avoid or minimize and my time with the transmission was all the better for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Tremic in my '15 hellcat was kind of strange shifting when I first got it (400 mi). The more miles the better as far as smoothness as now I am at 1300 mi. Also, when I am speed shifting it goes right in to gear, smooth as butter. When in traffic and moving slowly it gets clunky. Just got the Barton on everyone's opinion here and just need to install it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
658 Posts
So since day 1 I've had some shifting issues with my 6MT '15 RT Shaker +. Did the skip shift eliminator, removed clutch delay valve, installed (and uninstalled) Barton, had transmission replaced under warranty with Dodge and recently had the clutch replaced along with slave and master cylinders.. followed by flushing and replacing of the clutch fluid as well as the brake fluid. The transmission fluid was also replaced with RP synchromesh.

Things get better, but there is still a problem. Sometimes it shifts smooth and sometimes I'm pushing past notches to get into gear. I was convinced that I could fix it but 3 years later and everyone kinda saying they're out of ideas at this point, I'm reaching the end of my rope. Independent shop found drivetrain damage, so I'm having that replaced under warranty and I'll make another attempt to have Dodge do something about it. New transmission, new clutch.. what is left?

You can view my history if you want more details. Most of you guys are probably sick of hearing my sob stories at this point. I don't like to give up and I do like everything about the car outside of this persistent issue, especially as I am someone who drives into the city.
I think you've done everything possible to save your '15 Shaker. It just might be time to cut your losses and move on to another vehicle.

Just make sure you drive it before you buy it. Now that you know what you don't like about your current car, you will be wiser when you choose the next one.

Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts