Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!
I bought 2009 SE two month ago.

My driving style is very agressive.

And I was disappointed about MPG - it's about 12 MPG. :scratchhead:
Is it normal for agressive style or I need to check my engine?

Thanx

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know?

I can say that about the lowest mpg I've seen from my SE(2010/5 speed auto) was 16 mpg...this with ethanol containing gasoline and substantial city driving.

Best mpg was/is with real 100% gasoline and highway driving the SE can achieve just under 30 mpg.

Average part city..part highway mileage is in the 20-25 mpg range,,,fuel economy always better with real gasoline.

I imagine that if you are in stop and go traffic..alternating between wide open throttle and brakes...and you use the cheapest gasoline available..your mileage likely does suck:(

Find some 100% gasoline..and drive a bit less aggressive...check the tire inflation..and I bet fuel economy will improve noticably.

Something I do notice is my wife burns more fuel than I do..she drives the Challenger like she stole it..

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I've got the SRT and I drive aggressively just about everywhere I go in LA and my average over the last 5 gas tanks is, as of right now, 14.2. That's stop and go traffic, city driving, bad LA freeways, and driving around the movie campus.

I can't believe you'd be getting 12mpg in an SE. Something must be up.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
that sounds WAAAAAAY too low.
My worst mileage with stomping on it a lot was like 21 mpg.
that's on a 2009 4 spd.

i agree with previous...check tire pressure and also use some fuel system cleaner & check air filter

·
Registered
607 Posts
Im 22 and drive mine pretty hard and at the very very lowest I was around 15 mpg and thats when I first got it so I was hitting it just to get used to it. I would say you should check it, unless you continuously floor it everywhere and anywhere and never coast.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for answers!

I use 92 octane gasoline. But it's Russian gas and i think it's has really low quality.

What tyres pressure I need?

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger RT Classic
4,364 Posts
I have an SE (2009 4 speed tranny) and the worst I have gotten is about 18 but I am easy on the gas pedal. I 200 mile trip a few days ago and I got 30 actually. A typical fill up I am about at 23MPG which is 50/50 city and highway.

Tire pressure. Just check the inside of the drivers door and it will tell you. I think it is 32 PSI but I don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
he said he was driving agressive. I dont think think 12 is outta line for aggressive driving. switch your evic to show instantaneous mileage and then go and blast around the block and see what it reads. on my rt it will say 7 to 8 mpg or lower if im blasting around. its power baby. you want to play, you have to pay. its all physics. gear ratios, weight, and the amount of gas it takes to get that bigass heavy car to jump.

go on and downshift and stomp on it to keep the revs between 3000-5000. whats does your evic say? mine said GULP! cruise at 1200 in 6th and it will say 26mpg

·
Registered
212 Posts
I get about 420km on a full tank not sure what that is in MPG? But im pretty sure its not that good haha and I also have a heavy foot >=D

2009 SE
thats about 260 miles assuming you put 16-17 gallons when you fill up = 15.2-16.2 MPG, You must have an extremely heavy foot

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You can do yourself a real favor with mpg by avoiding heavy braking during your aggressive driving episodes. If you are able to employ some degree of coastdowns in lieu of bleeding off speed with the brakes, you will recoup a healthy chunk of mpg. Your brakes will probably thank you, too!

When you brake, that is the real point where excess energy from heavy throttle goes into the trash bin. It's kind of like the idea that jumping off a building isn't what really kills you. It's the landing! ;)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Probably IS your fuel. Drove hell out of an 09 SE, ALLWAYS sportshifted and never in 4th(D) except on hiways and touched redline a LOT daily. Ran 89 Shell and averaged bout 15 mpg all round so city ONLY on not so good fuel if you're keepin rpms high like the 6 LOVES I can see it. Get lots better mileage with my V8 6-speed but thats cause less gas makes more torque in da 8, these are heavy cars and gotta get the rpm much HIGHER in da 6, to get that torque!:guiness:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I get about 420km on a full tank not sure what that is in MPG? But im pretty sure its not that good haha and I also have a heavy foot >=D

2009 SE
14.5 mpg or 23.3km per tank when refilling 18 gals. or 68 litres

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you changed the OD size of your rear tires by 1" or more, re-gearing your rear end will significantly help your fuel mileage in city driving...especially if you are putting it to the wood at every take off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts