Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a really dumb question, please be nice. When someone says they got their car “tuned”, what exactly do they mean? Is that the same thing as if you buy one of those diablo tuners yourself? Is it a mechanic adjusting the PCM to run with your add-ons? Where would you go and how much does this cost? TIA.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Some do an email tune, HP or Diablo, themselves. I would suggest finding a good MOPAR wizard with an in-house dyno to do an HP tune. More costly but better (and safer) IMO. If you have a 2015 or newer, you'll need to get your PCM unlocked or purchase one.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some do an email tune, HP or Diablo, themselves. I would suggest finding a good MOPAR wizard with an in-house dyno to do an HP tune. More costly but better (and safer) IMO. If you have a 2015 or newer, you'll need to get your PCM unlocked or purchase one.
Ok thanks. Is it worth the cost? I know that’s kind of an opinion question. This is my daily driver so I’m not trying to turn it into a dragster.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ok thanks. Is it worth the cost? I know that’s kind of an opinion question. This is my daily driver so I’m not trying to turn it into a dragster.
It depends on what you have. What is your trim level? What modifications have you done so far? People tune their engines if they do big mods like new camshaft, supercharger, turbo, etc... or for groups of smaller modifications such as air intake / exhaust. The 3.6L and 5.7L will give you most results from a tune, but if you've got a 392 - you would need to modify other parts heavily before a tune would really net you something substantial.

I have an '07 Charger RT (laughably now its my winter car) that I had done intake, exhaust, suspension, brakes, etc etc and I used the Diablo Trinity for it. I used a canned tune. People have said that the custom tunes are FAR better so I would recommend going in that direction if you actually think its worth it to tune.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on what you have. What is your trim level? What modifications have you done so far? People tune their engines if they do big mods like new camshaft, supercharger, turbo, etc... or for groups of smaller modifications such as air intake / exhaust. The 3.6L and 5.7L will give you most results from a tune, but if you've got a 392 - you would need to modify other parts heavily before a tune would really net you something substantial.

I have an '07 Charger RT (laughably now its my winter car) that I had done intake, exhaust, suspension, brakes, etc etc and I used the Diablo Trinity for it. I used a canned tune. People have said that the custom tunes are FAR better so I would recommend going in that direction if you actually think its worth it to tune.
Good to know, thanks. Since it’s my daily driver I’m not planning on much other than air intake and exhaust, and maybe suspension. Also it’s a 2016 with 43k miles, so probably not worth the cost of a tune. Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good to know, thanks. Since it’s my daily driver I’m not planning on much other than air intake and exhaust, and maybe suspension. Also it’s a 2016 with 43k miles, so probably not worth the cost of a tune. Thanks!
Bro. A 2016 what? SXT? RT? SRT? lol

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sorry, RT plus.
If you did intake and exhaust, it would benefit from a tune. Hell there may be people on here that tuned their RTs without doing those mods and they saw dyno improvement - I don't know. Piece it out over time. Get your exhaust and intake one year and then next year get a tuner and your unlocked PCM and tune.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
Even in stock form a tune will help with snapper throttle response as there is torque management that is applied to prevent stress to the driveline. Heck, diablo's 93 octane canned tune tweaks things such as the knock sensor sensitivity, WOT fueling and spark, tip in throttle spark...ect that makes more power available.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts
Hey there RobsRTplus, when I started with tuning my car I found some of the language confusing so hopefully the following will help.

Tuning means adjusting values in the tune file which resides in the cars computer. Folks tune for different reasons such as maximum driveability, fuel economy, or maximum performance. Some folks have multiple tunes, one for everyday driving and another for drag racing. Some have multiple drag race tunes each designed for specific conditions.

The word "tuner" can be confusing. It can refer to the device used to load tunes and log data such as HP tuner software program loaded into a laptop of a dedicated device such as Diablo Trinity or Intune. The word "tuner" may also refer to the person who creates the tune file which could be the guy at the dyno shop, a remote tuner such as Hemifever or Jay Greene, or you if your DIY.

Before you start tuning be sure what it is your trying to accomplish, maximum driveability, max performance, maximize benefits of modifications.

As others have noted, if you are tuning a 2015 or newer Challenger be aware that FCA has locked the PCM so that it can't be tuned. To tune the car, the computer needs to be unlocked or replaced with an unlocked computer. The cost to install a tunable computer, acquire a device to load tunes and log data, and hire a remote tuner starts at over $1K but you may be able to reduce the cost buy purchasing used components.

Is it worth it? only you can decide.

I purchased a Diablo package from a remote tuner which gave me a fairly quick Scat Pack (PB 11.55 @ 118.9) so I would say I got what I paid for. Knowing what I know now I would go the HP Tuner way which gives the owner more adjustability and involvement in the tuning process but also requires much greater knowledge.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
If you want to know what is involved in tuning these cars using an HP tuners interface (way more difficult than a diablo tuner but more capability) take a look here. It is a list of threads I have collected which have helped me. It's a lot to take in but if you put in the time and effort it pays off.

If you lack the fundamentals books by Greg Banish are a good start.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts