Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I learned yesterday that my dealer (or at least the sales manager, who the people in the parts department and other sales people said would be the most knowledgeable person at the dealer) knows squat about things coming down the road regarding the Challenger and maybe Dodge in general.

While I was waiting for my oil change to be done I thought I'd strike up a conversation with who I thought was going to be a car guy, and ask him if he knew anything about the Scat Packages that are supposed to be coming out this year. He proceeded to tell me that he just ordered a few last week and showed me the build sheets ... they were shaker cars. I then tried to explain to him what they were - and he said he's never heard of anything like that. He said what the heck does Scat mean anyway? Sounds goofy (and this was an older guy - probably in his late forties).

He then told me not to worry about it, I should be looking forward to the Barracuda that's coming out, not some Scat Pack. I (still playing along) said "wow, really?". He says, oh yeah check this out, and pulls up youtube and finds a video showing all of the hideous drawings/photoshop jobs that have been kicking around the web the last few years. He paused it on that horrid blue thing that I think Motortrend had in their magazine 3 years ago - and told me he'll be able to order them late this year...

I told him I sure hope that's not what Dodge comes out with. That's one of the ugliest cars I've seen drawn up and a piss-poor reincarnation of a classic muscle car. I then politely excused myself and went back to the service department to wait for my car. His face was priceless after I told him that.

I was completely shocked by what appeared to be their lack of information. I'm envious of any of you who have a dealership full of "car guys" near you.

·
Vendor
12,568 Posts
remember little to no real info has been released, especially at the dealer level, except for sema, very little as been confirmed

Luke

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that - I just like talking to people and thought it would make for some good conversation. But heck I mean the Dodge website has the press releases and what not regarding the Scat Pack. I thought I'd at least get a "yeah, it should be some good stuff but we don't know any more than you do". And then the Barracuda discussion blew my mind...oh well.

Why can't everyone be as interested as you are Luke?!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Sadly, this is the common trend. Plenty of people these days have just taken a job somewhere for the money, not the passion. Half of the people I have met at places where you need to actually know your stuff, are barely capable of tying their own shoes. I even had a service writer tell me that I could run regular in my 6 speed R/T. I pulled out the owner's manual and showed him where it said the 6 speed cars require 93 octane and then went up to the manager of the service department, told him the situation, and drove to another shop. It's becoming startling these days how many people don't know anything about what they do unless you spoon feed it to them. Makes me feel sorry for them because I know that when they go to someone looking for advice and that person is like them (spoon fed full of BS) they lap it up and act on it. That type of advice is usually false and becomes very expensive very quickly.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dealerships rarely have any inside information, and car salespeople rarely are car guys. They are just pushing tin. My mother worked for the same Pontiac Dealership for 30+ years. I knew more about the product coming then they ever did.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The only person at the entire dealership who knew as much as we do on this site, was the regional SRT rep who sold me my car.

I had the "most knowledgeable" service rep tell me that he would have to order special sidemarkers because it was an SRT and every part of them is rare and special...

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The only person at the entire dealership who knew as much as we do on this site, was the regional SRT rep who sold me my car.

I had the "most knowledgeable" service rep tell me that he would have to order special sidemarkers because it was an SRT and every part of them is rare and special...
I hope to god that you laughed in his face and walked out the door.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My sales guy was dumber than a box of rocks about Mopar's and their history and how that related to their modern cousins. But lucky for him, I did my homework on what I wanted and all I needed was him to be a conduit to the numbers guys. They got to my number, I wrote the check and walked out the door shaking my head.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I hope to god that you laughed in his face and walked out the door.
I did far worse lol. There was an sxt directly behind me and I took out my measuring tape and forced him to compare measurements in front of the rest of the crew. Had a nice 'told ya so' moment, THEN I laughed in his face.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I hope his reaction looked like this: o_O

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I had a service advisor unaware of what Mopar was. He was fairly young and ended up leaving for another type of work (I forget what, but not car-related). Probably got his job because of some sales experience or something. Nice guy, but pretty clueless and there only as a dealership mouthpiece and middle man.

But as Hell Ride said it's society in general, not just car dealerships. Training people is not profitable or even desirable anymore as big companies don't want to pay for skills and experience and are just in it to move merchandise. Whenever they hit a snag with this shady business model (very pissed off customer, lawsuit, accident), they just settle that and then go back to making millions doing a lame-ass job. It's more profitable than doing the right thing every time and being ethical. I bump into this everywhere and once you see it, you have an epiphany: everyone's doing it except for an elite, the so-called "pros". Good luck finding one.

We need a major reboot because we're bankrupt in too many ways.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The dealership's world is to sell what you have, and service what's on the road. Getting people excited about future products just decreases the chance they will buy something today.
Yes but Patch Adams said it best. You treat a disease you win, you lose, but you treat a person and I guarantee you win.

With this sort of thing, customer service builds a business, not treating people's wallets. I would know, I've been in the service industry for 10 years. Even though I'm not directly in that industry any more I still work in customer/employee service and that means something.

52 Posts
After test driving my challenger i parked next to a srt v8, i asked the sales guy how much horsepower it has just to see if he knew...he didnt...i looked at him and told him "and you're selling these cars"?

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Just because they sell cars it doesn't mean they are car people.
Cars to a salesman mean as much as a t-shirt to a walmart employee, it's just an item to sell.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Just because they sell cars it doesn't mean they are car people.
Cars to a salesman mean as much as a t-shirt to a walmart employee, it's just an item to sell.
That's ^^^ what I ran into when I bought my car. The young gal I worked with didn't know anything about Challengers, that really didn't matter in the end though because I knew what deal I wanted and what the terms had to be so she just got an easy sale as I mainly worked with the finance guy to iron out the terms.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yep. I work at a dealership and I honestly find it disappointing just how little the sales staff and even service advisors know about the cars. Generally they're just book-trained and course-trained on the product and don't know cars by instinct and legitimate interest like we do.

I found it entertaining watching a sales guy try to show a customer where the spare tire was in a 300 SRT8 and getting totally lost and confused!

·
Registered
477 Posts
He probably drives a Ford. Not all folks that work in their industry is an expert. If you're around it all the time new becomes old real quick too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts