Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this site. I'm located in Nashville, TN...I'm 20 years old, and I own a 2003 Chevy Malibu lol.

My car is paid off, and I've been thinking hard about getting myself a Challenger. I have a lot of experience driving, and I know a Challenger is a BIG STEP above a Malibu.

Would you guys recommend getting a NEW Challenger or just go with a used model?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Used is only better if, as has been noted, it has low miles and been well maintained with no significant damage. Carfax is your friend here.

That being said, it depends on your price range. There are 2010 SE's that are new selling for around 23K; RT's around 28K with basic options for either, and less if you negotiate well.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I say go with what you can afford. You probably still be able to find some dealers in your area that still have 2010 models and will deal on them. If you do end up getting a used one, get a Carfax report on the car. Used car isn't necessarily bad, just want one that wasn't abused by the previous owner. New is good cause you can start from scratch as far as modding goes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone who posted.

Should I go with the SE though?

I mean like it's not RT or SRT8, but is the 2011 SE at least decent? I would definitely go with a RT, but SE is all I can afford.

·
Registered
442 Posts
At 305 HP and 268 torque, you've got plenty of power with an amazing exterior. It's never going to give you the all out performance of a Hemi, but you won't be disappointed unless you have the need to race.

Given $4+ gas prices, an SE can easily average around 24-26 mpgs if you drive conservatively with the occasional WOT to, you know, to clean the engine out, for maintenance purposes of course. Aside from monthly payments, unless you dropped a large down payment, gas is going to be your 2nd largest expense. Insurance premiums also tend to be less with the V6.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Used cars are better because new cars are generally overpriced and as soon as you drive it off the lot it plummets in value. You can find a low mileage used car that hasn't taken abuse, allowing the initial owner who bought it new to take the hit on the devalue of his car. You can get 2010 se's bare for $18k. 2011 Ses are expensive and I would recommend you get a used 2010 RT instead of a new 2011 SE...if you are going that route. Both would be around $25k. Used 2010 SEs would be around $18k or less.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you can stand it, wait a few months until we get into summer. Some are predicting $5-$6/gallon gas. If that happens, you could probably get an R/T or SRT much cheaper than you can now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is a lot of knowledge in here.. I appreciate it guys.

What do you guys think about a 2008 Charger RT? Is that car better than a 2011 SE Challenger?? I found a used one with 41K miles... would that be considered "low miles" for a used car?

I know it might be a dumb question to some, but I'm kind of ignorant when it comes to this stuff lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
New car = Warranty = Peace of mind.

Used car = Hope I didn't buy somebody else's problems.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm new to this site. I'm located in Nashville, TN...I'm 20 years old, and I own a 2003 Chevy Malibu lol.

My car is paid off, and I've been thinking hard about getting myself a Challenger. I have a lot of experience driving, and I know a Challenger is a BIG STEP above a Malibu.

Would you guys recommend getting a NEW Challenger or just go with a used model?
USED all the way I only bought a BRAND new car b/c it was a hell of a deal that just fell into place when i walked into the dealership.

Buying a used car you are automatically saving money, you're looking at a NEW/used challenger. This is a new car so any year you buy 08-present is going to be new. a 3 year old car is still new in my eyes givin the maintaince of the vehicle. You won't really be seeing any challenger with 80,000+ miles on it so every one is still going to be fairly new even with 30 or 40 thousand miles.

Buy what you can afford comfortably meaning if you need to be buy tires or get an oil change you have the money for it and are not taking it away from your car payment just to have that specific model SE, RT, SRT.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There is something to be said regarding the purchase of a used 2010 or 2009 R/T over a 2011 SE (which will undoubtedly be overpriced); but the miles should be low enough that the existing warranty applies for a good year or two. I would also go for an extended warranty if you're buying used, but consider purchasing that from an outside source and not the dealer, since they tend to rake you over the coals especially if they fold the cost into financing.

Similarly, get a pre-approved loan from your bank if you plan to finance since your should expect an interest rate of 3.5% or less over 6 or less years. Check "ebay motors" online for listed sales in your area, but be sure to read the Carfax reports. As always, go and check the car out in person and test drive it before making any purchase. Making an appointment with a dealer via their internet sales department may save you some money also, but get any price guarantee in writing over email before going in so they don't lay added fees on your when you get there. Lastly, if the deal is sour, walk away, you still have your car (don't let the dealer walk off with your keys if you're making a trade in).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts