Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the entire variety of rear axle (rear differential assembly in the case of these cars) models and options for Challengers?

I think there are 2 different sizes of axles, can anyone list the sizes, limited slips, and gear ratio options for each one?

How about how much power each size differential can take with no problems?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The SE has a 198mm ring gear diff (Mettingen) non Sure-Grip
* was a 3.42 w/ the 4 speed
* 3.06 when the 5-speed W5A580 automatic tranny was phased in for SE

The automatic R/T has the 215mm (Mettingen) non Sure-Grip
* 3.06 with the W5A580 automatic.

The 6-speed R/T gets the 226mm (Getrag) with Sure Grip
* 3.73 w/ 18" wheel &tire setup
* 3.91 w/ 20" wheel &tire setup

The SRT8 gets the 226mm Getrag with Sure Grip (both auto & 'stick)
* Automatics get 3.06 gearing
* 6-speeds get the 3.91 (all SRT8s come only with 20" wheel tire pkg)

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
466 Posts
So the Auto R/T's and SE's with the non-Sure Grip have an Open Diff,

and the Manual R/T's and all SRT8's with the Sure Grip have the Limited Slip/Anti-Spin Diff,

correct?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

and the Manual R/T's and all SRT8's with the Sure Grip have the Limited Slip/Anti-Spin Diff,

correct?
Yes - this applies to the '09 -'11 R/T and SRT8 models.

The '08 SRT8s had open diffs & automatic only. (215mm Mettingen)

The '11 SRT8 gets shot-peened internals in the diff for extra durability with the additional torque the 6.4/392 puts out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

correct?
Uh, yeah, that sounds about right to me..... Kind of hard to NOT have the limited slip if you have the sure grip.:notallthere:

Seems overly complex, having 3 seperate assemblies. I'm sure it's a cost factor, but really, how much cheaper can a 198mm ring gear be to make than a 215mm?

They should have used only 2 rears, the 215 and the 226. Less inventory, plus a V6 car will never break a rear end. Load capacity on the 198mm, anyone know? But the 226 should have been made big and strong enough to handle the 392 without shot peening. That tells me it can just barely handle the 392. Maybe a 235 or 236 mm was what they needed.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
But the 226 should have been made big and strong enough to handle the 392 without shot peening. That tells me it can just barely handle the 392. Maybe a 235 or 236 mm was what they needed.
Since Chrylser warrants the driveline, they probably did that as cheap insurance to preclude warranty claims...much cheaper to invest in more durable parts than pay for field repairs at a dealership.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
466 Posts
Much appreciated Hal H. I knew the specs for the 2010's but have read that others have Open Diff SRT8's, and some doofus had previously told me that R/T's with the Super Track Pack did NOT have the Open Diff, so I was seriously confused. The year specific specs clears it all up for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts