Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted in other threads, my rear brakes have been squealing since I bought the car. The dealership replaced the brake pads and rotors twice with OEM parts and I replaced the brake pads (front and rear) with Hawk HPS pads in the hope that it would silence the squeal due to the difference in material (semi-metallic vs. ferro(iron)-carbon).

After about 3 months of not squealing, the squeal came back and I've been dealing with it for most of the winter. Finally, I had enough of it and I conducted some research.

I came across a product made by Permatex called Ceramic Extreme Brake Lubricant (product #24125 for the 8 oz. can). I decided to buy it (you can buy it for about $15.00 from Amazon) and try it. Went to a friend's house yesterday to jack the car up, take the wheels off, clean the brake pads and rotors, and apply the lube.

And I must say...so far, so good. The car has been silent when braking. If anyone else is having the same problem, I recommend trying this. The lubricant is temperature insensitive (-50F to +3000F) and extremely moisture resistant. Permatex states that the lubricant should last for the lifetime of the pad. Lastly, this product will not harm any rubber seals, etc.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/lubricants/specialty_lubricants/Permatex_Ceramic_Extreme_Brake_Parts_Lubricant.htm

·
Registered
330 Posts
You didn't put it on the braking material, just the metal sides, correct???

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't put it on the braking material, just the metal sides, correct???
I said I put it on both sides of the pad...the metal and the braking material. Is that okay?

Of course I didn't put it on the braking material....that wouldn't be very smart of me, now would it? :bigthumb:

I applied the lubricant to the BACK (the part NOT touching the rotor) of the brake pad as well as the caliper piston and caliper pins.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ralfan,
Thanks for posting. I'm also on HPS pads (no issues) but nice to know about this product.
Question: Did you go through the bedding process for your pads when you installed them?
I just wonder if that may have been a latent cause for your pads squeeling.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ralfan,
Thanks for posting. I'm also on HPS pads (no issues) but nice to know about this product.
Question: Did you go through the bedding process for your pads when you installed them?
I just wonder if that may have been a latent cause for your pads squeeling.
I did go through the bedding process for these pads and the REAR pads squealed. I never had a problem with the front pads whether they were OEM or Hawk.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just changed the brakes to Hawk HPS and have the squeal as well, followed the bed in procedures to the letter. I'll try this stuff this week end to and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I have an SRT and changed to the Hawk ceramics pads myself. I reused the metal shims as well as the anti squeak grease that came with the pads and have had ZERO problems.

I read recently on a SRT chat session that the engineers said if you get squeal, you are not breaking hard enough. Go out and try to rebed the pads and see if it goes away after some hard braking.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I said I put it on both sides of the pad...the metal and the braking material. Is that okay?

Of course I didn't put it on the braking material....that wouldn't be very smart of me, now would it? :bigthumb:

I applied the lubricant to the BACK (the part NOT touching the rotor) of the brake pad as well as the caliper piston and caliper pins.
Sorry, had to ask, I hear of people saying they sprayed or put stuff on the material to make the noise go away. Squeals are usually caused by vibration of the pad, make sure hardware is clean and well lubricated, and pad fits correctly in its mount.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an SRT and changed to the Hawk ceramics pads myself. I reused the metal shims as well as the anti squeak grease that came with the pads and have had ZERO problems.

I read recently on a SRT chat session that the engineers said if you get squeal, you are not breaking hard enough. Go out and try to rebed the pads and see if it goes away after some hard braking.
The whole "brake harder" argument seems like an excuse for not designing the brake pads properly. Just my opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts