Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Rear bumper removal

51K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  LESchuck 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got to a project that I needed to do. I had a minor accident that resulted in the rear bumper being slightly jarred and the plastic connector piece had broken tabs that pushed the left hand rear quarter / fascia out about 1/4 inches from the body. Like many on this forum, I was unsure as to how the rear bumper was connected to the body. I just took my time and the whole procedure took about two hours. Attaching a few pictures to help with any questions. My vehicle is a 2011 Challenger RT and I will go thru all the procedures for removal and reinstallation of the rear bumper.

1. Remove three each plastic rivets from the trailing lip of the rear wheel wells.
2. Remove one each bolt (10 MM) from the trailing lip of each wheel well (this bolt secures the lower fascia to the frame.
3. Remove both right and left rear brake light assemblies ( this is done by unscrewing the inner plastic wing nuts on inside of trunk. (2 each per side)
4. Unplug electrical connector from each brake assembly
5. On right rear side, unlatch the wiring lanyard from the clip located under the right rear brake lens. (This wire is the extension for the license plate lamp)
6. Remove the three push-pull pins from the center plastic between the lamp assemblies.
7. Remove plastic covers that are concealing hard points ( located where bumper starts and brake lens was removed)
8.Remove one each screw from each side panel underneath cover panels
9. Remove the two lower trunk bumpers (they unscrew)
10. Remove two each nuts attaching lower valance from body
11. Disconnect both rear marker lamp assemblies
12. Rear bumper is ready to be removed. Pull gently away from the body. Bumper assembly is connected to body now with plastic clips.
13. Replace plastic clips if needed. (They attach with three to four screws each) They are relatively inexpensive, I purchased both sets upper and lower clips for less than $50)

Reinstall simply by doing steps in reverse

Anyone needing any additional info please feel free to contact.

RT2011

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
For those wanting to know how to remove a rear bumper on a +2015 here are the instructions.

Fig. 1

1. Remove the rear wheels. (Not really needed if you use sharp diagonal cutters)
  2. Remove the lower plastic rivets (2) from the splash shields (1) as shown in Fig 1. (If you have splash guards you will need to unscrew them first and in fact some of the rivets have already been replace by the splash guard screws).
  3. Remove the bolts (3) from both sides (as shown in Fig 1) and position the splash shields aside.

Fig. 2

4. Remove the two nuts (2) at the bottom of the rear fascia (1), as shown in Fig. 2.

Fig. 3

5. Disconnect the rear fascia wire harness connector (1), as shown in Fig 3.

Fig. 4

6. Remove the tail lamp assemblies by removing the closeout (1) (shown in Fig. 4) and then undo the 2 plastic wing nuts from behind the lamp assemblies in the trunk. One wing nut is exposed the other is behind the trunk liner which you can fit your hand under to remove. The outer most side of the tail lamp has a ball and socket joint so there will be some resistance as you pull it out.

Fig. 5

7. Remove the push fasteners (2) at the top of the rear fascia, as shown in Fig. 5.

Fig. 6

8. Mark the threads (2) of the decklid bumpers (1) to aid installation then remove the decklid bumpers, as shown in Fig. 6. (Can be left on as the plastic trim can be bent over them)

Fig. 7

9. Remove the bolts (1) from behind each tail lamp and pull the fascia up and outboard above tail lamp to disengage the fascia from the upper retainer bracket on both sides of vehicle, as shown in Fig. 7. (Be careful here as the bolts can get stuck and you can easily break the plastic)

Fig. 8

10. Pull the fascia horn up and outboard above tail lamp to disengage the fascia from the upper retainer bracket on both sides of vehicle.
  11. Pull the sides of the rear fascia (2) to disengage the retainers, then pull the rear fascia rearward and remove.

#25 ·
For those wanting to know how to remove a rear bumper on a +2015 here are the instructions.

Fig. 1

1. Remove the rear wheels. (Not really needed if you use sharp diagonal cutters)
  2. Remove the lower plastic rivets (2) from the splash shields (1) as shown in Fig 1. (If you have splash guards you will need to unscrew them first and in fact some of the rivets have already been replace by the splash guard screws).
  3. Remove the bolts (3) from both sides (as shown in Fig 1) and position the splash shields aside.
    Fig. 2

4. Remove the two nuts (2) at the bottom of the rear fascia (1), as shown in Fig. 2.
    Fig. 3

5. Disconnect the rear fascia wire harness connector (1), as shown in Fig 3.

Fig. 4

6. Remove the tail lamp assemblies by removing the closeout (1) (shown in Fig. 4) and then undo the 2 plastic wing nuts from behind the lamp assemblies in the trunk. One wing nut is exposed the other is behind the trunk liner which you can fit your hand under to remove. The outer most side of the tail lamp has a ball and socket joint so there will be some resistance as you pull it out.

Fig. 5

7. Remove the push fasteners (2) at the top of the rear fascia, as shown in Fig. 5.
    Fig. 6

8. Mark the threads (2) of the decklid bumpers (1) to aid installation then remove the decklid bumpers, as shown in Fig. 6. (Can be left on as the plastic trim can be bent over them)
    Fig. 7

9. Remove the bolts (1) from behind each tail lamp and pull the fascia up and outboard above tail lamp to disengage the fascia from the upper retainer bracket on both sides of vehicle, as shown in Fig. 7. (Be careful here as the bolts can get stuck and you can easily break the plastic)
    Fig. 8

10. Pull the fascia horn up and outboard above tail lamp to disengage the fascia from the upper retainer bracket on both sides of vehicle.
  11. Pull the sides of the rear fascia (2) to disengage the retainers, then pull the rear fascia rearward and remove.
Thanks for this, really helped. With help was removed and reinstalled in less than 1 hour

#12 ·
Any of you guys know if a 2015 challenger and later rear tail light and bumper will fit on a 2014 challenger?
Thanks

Phil
Finally got to a project that I needed to do. I had a minor accident that resulted in the rear bumper being slightly jarred and the plastic connector piece had broken tabs that pushed the left hand rear quarter / fascia out about 1/4 inches from the body. Like many on this forum, I was unsure as to how the rear bumper was connected to the body. I just took my time and the whole procedure took about two hours. Attaching a few pictures to help with any questions. My vehicle is a 2011 Challenger RT and I will go thru all the procedures for removal and reinstallation of the rear bumper.

1. Remove three each plastic rivets from the trailing lip of the rear wheel wells.
2. Remove one each bolt (10 MM) from the trailing lip of each wheel well (this bolt secures the lower fascia to the frame.
3. Remove both right and left rear brake light assemblies ( this is done by unscrewing the inner plastic wing nuts on inside of trunk. (2 each per side)
5. On right rear side, unlatch the wiring lanyard from the clip located under the right rear brake lens. (This wire is the extension for the license plate lamp)
6. Remove the three push-pull pins from the center plastic between the lamp assemblies.
7. Remove plastic covers that are concealing hard points ( located where bumper starts and brake lens was removed)
12. Rear bumper is ready to be removed. Pull gently away from the body. Bumper assembly is connected to body now with plastic clips.
13. Replace plastic clips if needed. (They attach with three to four screws each) They are relatively inexpensive, I purchased both sets upper and lower clips for less than $50)

RT2011
Well done....(y)

#17 ·
So basically they are the same except the cushions stay on the on the pre-2015, correct? And on the 2015 the cushion comes off with the bumper. If you were to remove the cushions on 2015 could you then just put it into place over the cushions of the pre-2015?.......

#18 ·
The pre-2015 cushion is 68020697AB.

And the +2015 cushion is 68174980AA

So they are not interchangeable and can only be used with the respective rear facia.

#23 ·
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) We hope you will enjoy the show :D

A Guy

Reactions: JavierA
#24 ·

RT2011
thank you for this step by step! I wrap cars for a living and this helped me out tremendously

#28 ·
You don't even have to click, just hover over the user name

A Guy

Reactions: ChallyTatum
#30 ·
Hey A Guy and Chally Tatum...
How hard would it be to get to my rear sensor and pop it back in?
It got pushed in...don't ask LOL
IIRC the shock absorbing material will be in your way. Removing the rear clip is super easy but you will need to cut the plastic rivets that hold the fender wells to the rear clip. Since I installed splash guards I did not have rivets but screws.

#32 · (Edited)
We are removing mine now to plug me rear sensor back in...
Not a hard job but it should be noted that when removing the 4 plastic rivets (on each side) you need to press the center if the pins from the wheel side with an awl or something similar to help them pop out easily...
View attachment 1039949
FWIW I had to remove those rivets and replaced them with screws when I installed splash guards. Much easier with the screws as it does not require removal of the rear tire to remove/install rivets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.