Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Are you on the stock suspension? If so, you will need to replace it with shorter springs or coilovers. I recommend coilovers so you can adjust the ride height to your liking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes cannon ball i do have adjustable coils on it already bc coils along with spc camber kit they were installled by kindig it design out of utah but i like to lower the back but i dont know how., i seen videos on how to do the front ones but i get confuse on the back ones since its got threads on both the spring and and the strut dont want to drive 3 hrs just to lower the back a little lol!!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
U have to take the assembly out in order to adjust it. That's the big complaint about those. The fronts can be done in the car but rear has to be removed. One collar is for the adjustment and the other is a locking collar.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I have BCs on my Challenger as well. Mater of fact I was adjusting my rears just yesterday. Depending on where yours are set, you may be able to adjust ride height without removing the spring.

Take a look at where yours are set by removing the wheel. If your top adjustment collars are accessible like the one in the picture below, remove the shock, spray WD40 on the top collars above the spring (you have to do that) loosen the top collar counter clockwise and spin it up 6 turns or so. Then rotate the bottom collar (beneath the one you just loosened) counter clockwise with the spanner wrench 6 turns (or more if you want/can, 6 turns will give you about 1/2" drop). Then tighten the top collar clockwise against the bottom one.

Next you will need to shorten your shock by loosening it's collar and twisting the threaded portion by hand clock wise about 1/2" or so. Reinstall the shock by compressing it by hand (helps to turn the dampening adjustment knob to full soft first) and after getting the shock in it's installed position, make sure that it extends far enough to make contact with the top mounts. If not, rotate the threaded portion by hand counter clockwise until the top of the shock makes contact with where it bolts to the car. Finish but tightening the shock collar clockwise with the spanner wrench. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i have to adjust both spring and shock same 1/2 inch but have to undo the shock to do so right??

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Correct, in order to use the spanner wrenches on the two spring collars, you'll need to remove the shock. I suppose you could adjust the spring collars using a large, long screwdriver and hammer, leaving the shock in place... but I'm not a fan of banging on aluminum collars, mars them up too much.

Takes only a minute to remove the shock. Just loosen the dampening adjustment knob full counterclockwise beforehand. That makes it easier to compress the shock with your hands to be able to get it out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the great input cannonball cobb and big dodge!!! one last question: we all know about the knocking noise they said on their coils well i just started hearing a knocking noise on one of my rear spring + coil can you guys help out on this one also buddies much appreciated!!! thanks!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
make sure the locking rings are tight, you may need to use a hammer and punch (not chizel) to tap the rings a bit more tight

also, with the BC coilovers once you have the ride height set where you want it, you will need to adjust the length of the shock.
1. With the shock disconnected at the bottom, and the subframe/unibody supported by jackstands, use a jack to compress the rear spring so that it's help tightly (it may be already)
2. Compress the suspension about 5-6mm more with the jack
3. install the shock so that it's max length is that length, and tighten the locking ring.
4. install the lower shock bolt, but don't tighten it.
5. put the car back on the ground
6. move the car back and forth a car length, and with the weight on the wheels, then tighten the lower shock bolts.

If you tighten them with the suspension hanging they will twist a bit and can cause problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts