Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Challenger Hellcat and for over 6 months there has been a groaning noise coming from my rear end that has gotten progressively worse. I went to the dealership and said that “I needed new control arms” and that it would be over $1000, so I declined and decided I was going to do it myself. Has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it? What parts did you get/ replace? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't had a similar experience, but changing the upper arms requires dropping the rear subframe. I've had mine dropped 3 times now, (swaybar, subframe bushings and then upper arms and toe links) the last 2 times I just lowered one side at a time. The only tool you need for the arms beyond the basics is a torque wrench that will go to at least 130ft/lbs.

As long as you have jack stands and a decent floor jack, its pretty straight forward. The only two things I do differently from most of the videos I've seen is I unbolt the shocks at the control arm, not in the trunk bcause I'm already down there and my rear chassis brace makes taking the top shock hardware off a bit of a hassle. Just remember to not torque that lower shock bolt until the car is back on its wheels or you're likely to get some clunking. The other thing is I pop the 3 push pins out of the wheel liner to get at the bolt for the brake line bracket instead of trying to fit my hand and wrench in there to work blindly. Why make it harder on yourself? Lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts