Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I am new here as well as a new Challenger owner - more on that later. I just found out that the cradle bushings (1 of them anyway) is bad and needs to be replaced. Just wondering how big of a job this would be to do myself. The dealership quoted me $1100 to do (including alignment). I have watched videos, some where the complete rearend and cradle has been removed from the car which I do not wish to do, but others where it has been done while still on the car using heat and the cars weight to press them out. I am pretty handy and have done lots of work on other cars so not intimidated by this type of thing, just want to know if it's worth my effort...
Also, I heard the factory bushings are not great. I am not looking for a super mod here but I also hate the thoughts of doing this again in a year or 2...
I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I am new here as well as a new Challenger owner - more on that later. I just found out that the cradle bushings (1 of them anyway) is bad and needs to be replaced. Just wondering how big of a job this would be to do myself. The dealership quoted me $1100 to do (including alignment). I have watched videos, some where the complete rearend and cradle has been removed from the car which I do not wish to do, but others where it has been done while still on the car using heat and the cars weight to press them out. I am pretty handy and have done lots of work on other cars so not intimidated by this type of thing, just want to know if it's worth my effort...
Also, I heard the factory bushings are not great. I am not looking for a super mod here but I also hate the thoughts of doing this again in a year or 2...
I appreciate your feedback!
First of all, welcome! I'm looking at replacing mine also, not because they're worn but as a performance mod to help eliminate wheel hop. The dealer quote is about right because they are a PITA to do. I haven't seen the videos of them done while the cradle is still on the car only with it removed. If you're handy and have the time then yes I think it's something you can tackle by yourself. Some good suggestions I've gotten are to get a press to get the old bushings out instead of using the sawzall and air chisel method. I plan on tackling mine over the winter and replacing with Energy Suspension poly bushings. If you plan on doing any other mods such as rear sway bar or control arms this would be a great time to do those also.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
ya.. lots of work.. the press tools alone are 2-400 bucks depending on how good a deal you can find.
it is possible in the car but even harder than out.. either way it is a big undertaking for sure

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Go for it. You'll be a hero to a lot of us:) When I do mine I'm not planning on removing the cradle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
How do you plan on doing yours Wasp?

If someone does this please video for the rest of us! If nobody does I will when I do mine but we're looking at Dec/Jan till I plan on doing it.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
How do you plan on doing yours Wasp?

If someone does this please video for the rest of us! If nobody does I will when I do mine but we're looking at Dec/Jan till I plan on doing it.

I haven't really thought about it. LMAO. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. But one thing is for sure, I ain't removing the damn cradle. I'll let you go first:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So some new developments...
I pushed the dealership I bought it from as my local delership said the bushings should have been caught during a safety inspection - the dealership where I bought it just inspected it 2 months ago, then it sat on the lot. The parking brake does not hold either which also should have been caught during the inspection. They said they would come good for the parking brake but not the bushings. I notified the MVI Agency regarding the lack of inspection and they also said the bushings should be part of the inspection and said I could file a complaint. I forwarded that to the dealership, they were supposed to get back to me Friday. If I don't hear from them today I am going to file the complaint against them.
I am thinking of getting a beater early which mans I could take mine off the road and spend the time to do the bushings myself... The car really squirms all over the place under hard acceleration on the highway - scary.
Anyway I will keep you posted and if I do the work myself, I will do a walkthrough with pics and video...

·
Registered
876 Posts
JimBiggs, sorry to hear your stealership is putting your threw the paces (that seems to be the MO of most stealerships these days). Anyways I'm planning on doing my cradle bushing here in the very near future. If all goes well, Me and a buddy will record and document the process for our you tube channel. Hopefully this will give you a reference point for when you attempt the work. I'm replacing mine bushings for performance purposes with White Line Urethane bushings, along with adding in drop coils. I'm also going to replace my pinion bushing as well, as they are known to fail. That is something you may want to consider as well if you do any hard driving of your car. I'll everyone posted once I start the job and complete it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JimBiggs, sorry to hear your stealership is putting your threw the paces (that seems to be the MO of most stealerships these days). Anyways I'm planning on doing my cradle bushing here in the very near future. If all goes well, Me and a buddy will record and document the process for our you tube channel. Hopefully this will give you a reference point for when you attempt the work. I'm replacing mine bushings for performance purposes with White Line Urethane bushings, along with adding in drop coils. I'm also going to replace my pinion bushing as well, as they are known to fail. That is something you may want to consider as well if you do any hard driving of your car. I'll everyone posted once I start the job and complete it.
Yeah so they decided to come good for it - sort of... They want to look at it - if they feel that they "missed" it, they will cover the entire cost (Yeah good luck), if they feel it's not something they missed they will cover 50%. I am willing to live with 50%, I just want it done. But I am looking forward to seeing it done either through write up with pics or a video as by the sound of it, I will need them again!
Stay tuned, I am taking down to them on the 19th.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So good news and some bad news...
Took the car in (3.5 hours each way) and they had it for the day. They replaced the bushings and the good news - No charge! The car felt very tight on the way home and the creaking was gone - I was very happy.
That was Monday. I put the car in the garage for the next two days and then took it out yesterday. Immediately after pulling out of the driveway I noticed the creaking is back - or never really left... Beginning to think that the creaking was not the bushings but then what? I read elsewhere that maybe it is the parking brake cable? Well my parking brake does need to be adjusted... I will see if there is anything there hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So good news and some bad news...
Took the car in (3.5 hours each way) and they had it for the day. They replaced the bushings and the good news - No charge! The car felt very tight on the way home and the creaking was gone - I was very happy.
That was Monday. I put the car in the garage for the next two days and then took it out yesterday. Immediately after pulling out of the driveway I noticed the creaking is back - or never really left... Beginning to think that the creaking was not the bushings but then what? I read elsewhere that maybe it is the parking brake cable? Well my parking brake does need to be adjusted... I will see if there is anything there hopefully this weekend.
Jim,
What year and model is your car? When do you notice the creak?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
It's not that hard to do, if you have all the RIGHT tools. But it does take time. I replaced all bushings with polyurethane ones and the rear sway bar at the same time. I used an OTC C-frame press with the cup attachments. I had the car up about 30 inches. Removed the exhaust and driveshaft. You don't need to disconnect the rear calipers, just use a bungee cord and hang them off the frame. I did over a weekend.. There are forums that have very good details with pictures..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's not that hard to do, if you have all the RIGHT tools. But it does take time. I replaced all bushings with polyurethane ones and the rear sway bar at the same time. I used an OTC C-frame press with the cup attachments. I had the car up about 30 inches. Removed the exhaust and driveshaft. You don't need to disconnect the rear calipers, just use a bungee cord and hang them off the frame. I did over a weekend.. There are forums that have very good details with pictures..
I'd like to see those pictures and details. I didn't think the c frame press was big enough. Hmm. Might not be too bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim,
What year and model is your car? When do you notice the creak?

It's a 2010 SRT8. I notice it when leaving from a dead stop in 1st gear just when I disengage the clutch, it doesnt do it when hitting bumps or when the clutch is in

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
The OTC C-4212f is the tool that I have. There are other companies that make something similar, for half the price. But don't seem to hold up or just don't work as well.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,476 Posts
That's exactly what I'm getting ready to do to get rid of the extreme wheel hop I have right now >:)

For anyone replacing their cradle bushings, using the polyurethane ones is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,987 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts