Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Going with Erick is a very good decision. that said, I did the cradle bushing swap using the method one of the posters asked about. I used my Sawz-All and a butane torch to burn and cut the races out. IT worked very well for me. To respond to the question of what are the the effects of having Poly bushings. My car handles drastically better, there is a little more feed back in the rear. It feel more like a solid axles. Wheel hop is dramatically decreased. I think I'll permanently eliminate wheel hop, once I upgrade my trailing arm, to one of the options out there. I also upgraded my diff bushing to one of the solid units that HHP sells. Lastly there is a little feed back in terms of noise when going over rough roads. The cradle doesn't give like when the stock bushings were in so you hear vibration sounds. It's barely noticable, unless you don't have the radio on.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Dakbuilder. Did you install them greased? It says nothing in the instructions but I have seam people talk about greasing them up for install ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Dakbuilder. Did you install them greased? It says nothing in the instructions but I have seam people talk about greasing them up for install ?

Yes I used lots of grease when I did my install. I used the grease that came with the White Line Bushings, and I added additional grease to the cradle prior to sliding the bushing in. I wanted to be extra careful.....

I got an alignment when I completed this job, due to the fact that installed H&R lowering spring at the same time. I felt that an alignment was absolutely necessary performing that much work to my suspension at the same time.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Interesting. I got energy suspension bushings and they came with no grease at all or mention of them in the instructions

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Interesting. I got energy suspension bushings and they came with no grease at all or mention of them in the instructions

Neither did mine but energy suspension sells grease separately so I got a tub and used that. But I didn't grease the outside that goes into the cradle just the inner sleeve

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Neither did mine but energy suspension sells grease separately so I got a tub and used that. But I didn't grease the outside that goes into the cradle just the inner sleeve

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

When I did this job I applied the supplied grease from Whine Line on the Inner sleeve, & the outer part of the bushing. I then applied wheel barring packing grease to the entire metal portion of the cradle that the bushings insert into. I used quite a bit. The bushing literally slid right in by hand. I gave them a slight tap with a rubber mallet to ensure they were seated correctly. Other than that it was rather simple. I did my bushing this way because I torched out the factory rubber bushings and used a saws-all to cut the bushing races out.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Average life on the stock bushings.

I can’t say with certainty, but I was told that the pinion bushing and the cradle bushing tend to fail around 35-45k. I bought my car with 34K on the clock, the pinion bushing failed around 48k, causing the famed M6 drive shaft issue. When I did my cradle bushing, I put the solid pinion bushing in as well to eliminate that from happening again. If I’m not mistaken you can get a Poly-pinion bushing as well from Energy Suspension.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
cradle bushings have been changed.. so a couple quick notes.. if you don't have the miller press to.. you need it.. it is so so much easier than a saw zall chizzle ect..*

the parking break cable.. the 1st time was a pain in the ass. after you see how it works it is about 30 seconds to undo.

i would strongly recommend a friend to help.. i put the whole assembly on tires and then on dolly's so i could move it around and the lifted the car on the lift i have.. makes it alot easier.. the dolly's in general helped to move it side to side ect.

one thing i found out the hard way.. i bought energy suspension rear sway bar bushings i was going to change out while i had it out.. well the bushings both them, and prothane sell are 17.6 mm

my factory 09 sway bar is 16mm..* if i would have known that i would not have ordered them.* so if you are doing this job check into that.

also i changed out the upper control arms to bmr.. ( NICE STUFF ) i also moved the bolt around on the front lateral arm..* they have the bolt head facing so you can't get it out with it in the car if you wanted to buy spohn front arms.. last time i did this on a friends i have to gut the bolts out with a sawzall while in the car because the bolts won't back out as it hits the body of the car.. i while i had it out i flopped them around for future if i want them arms.

also my front bushing one was shot.. half the rubber was gone.. car has 15,000 miles on them. i wasn't expecting that so it is good i changed the junkers out

41 - 52 of 52 Posts