Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear deck has gone through several iterations of speakers & respective power sources in an effort to contribute something useful to the audio system’s overall performance:

• stock 6x9” turds powered by the factory h/u
  • stock 6x9” turds powered by an aftermarket amp
  • aftermarket 6x9” coaxials powered by an aftermarket amp...then again by a bigger amp
  • aftermarket 5.25” coaxials powered by bigger amp
And while the current iteration with the 5.25” Focals being pushed by the back 2 channels on a 4 channel amp (70w RMS each channel) sounds as good as it has back there, the whole rear speaker fill is barely even a positive for the system as a whole.

Thus my decision to try yet one more iteration back there, but this time I’m really changing things up. I’m going from 2 speakers (5.25” coaxials) down to 1 (8” midrange), and I’m bridging the two rear channels to power the one midrange speaker which will be mounted in the factory 8” sub hole in between the two rear speakers.

The 8” speaker will cover the 80-6000hz range much better than the 5.25” speakers ever could, I’m just hoping it will contribute enough to make all this hassle worth it.

I’ve actually already started on this, but a wiring mishap has left me backtracking and trying to figure out why I have no rear sound at all, including the sub powered from its own amp.

Anyway, I’ll post up some pics later and give my judgment on whether it was a net positive or not. But I haven’t seen any threads from anyone that has attempted the same, so I wanted to get the ball rolling in case there’s some knowledge floating around that has been committed to a thread yet. Maybe this will motivate the lurking parties to finally log on and share their lessons learned...

Nuke

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I can already tell this may not be worth it. I’ll truly know once I am able to hear the 8” speaker in place of the two 5.25” speakers, but so far that’s not happened.

What has happened is I had to fabricate an adapter to allow the 8” speaker to bolt up to the rear deck’s bolt holes. I’m no carpenter, so that was a real mess. Plus, for some reason I have my right rear tire and wheel off and pulled my amp rack and amps all the way out.

Sometimes I don’t know what is going on with me!!

7583629C-369D-4382-8DD7-C2840C34A7F2.jpeg

AEDE2511-0831-4A11-9160-2CE893F9C737.jpeg

F3638357-051E-4483-A561-D840A7431151.jpeg

DDD213B2-092C-4306-827B-D3D29D6F8BC0.jpeg

BB421ADF-A121-436E-8C44-7996697D812B.jpeg

6770FA2D-517C-4570-8E15-3F6B49959868.jpeg

·
Registered
233 Posts
What kind of sound effect are you long for? Generally, with a tuned system, you don't want to hear any speaker specifically.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What kind of sound effect are you long for? Generally, with a tuned system, you don't want to hear any speaker specifically.
This project was born, literally and figuratively, out of me having a hole that needed to be filled.

I used to have a 200mm computer case fan in that hole in the middle of the rear deck, but I removed it after I accidentally stuck my finger in it while it was running and got cut.

Then later on I saw those 8” midrange speakers and became curious about how they would sound in my setup. The 5.25” speakers barely contribute, and I already have that 8” hole back there, not to mention bridging the two channels from the 5.25” speakers gives me the max RMS for the 8” speaker, so it seemed like a perfect fit!

It wasn’t, literally speaking, but I’m still hoping it will fill in the mid range frequencies better than what the 5.25” speakers were doing. I’m still probably 2 days away from knowing that though, as I’ve still yet to get the amp rack and amps even put back in.

<sigh>

Sometimes it’s better to just leave well enough alone I guess. Maybe one day I’ll learn that...not today though! 😑

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts

A Guy (y)

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m going to use this as ammo to defend myself the next time Mrs Nuke yells at me for taking her car because mine is in pieces.

Also, you will be on Mrs Nuke’s radar after this, so appropriate precautions should be taken going forward.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
Tell her come talk to me in Utah!

A Guy

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tell her come talk to me in Utah!

A Guy
Utah...why does that ring a bell...oh yeah, I’m pretty sure the Mormons have a contract out on me.

It was a long time ago but I will admit to overreacting to some missionaries that showed up to my apt several times to leave literature.

Actually It may not be ALL Mormons that hate me, but i know for a fact that those two hold a significant amount of disdain in their hearts for me. 😞

·
Registered
96 Posts
When my warranty goes away, I intend to start pushing Watts into my car, what I have in mind is something similar to my old setup in the Cruze, replace factory speakers with aftermarket Bose's, get a couple of amps in the trunk, and get a bazooka strapped to the back of the back seat

·
Registered
745 Posts
When my warranty goes away, I intend to start pushing Watts into my car, what I have in mind is something similar to my old setup in the Cruze, replace factory speakers with aftermarket Bose's, get a couple of amps in the trunk, and get a bazooka strapped to the back of the back seat
Why are you concerned with the warranty for a sound system?

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,211 Posts
Well I can already tell this may not be worth it. I’ll truly know once I am able to hear the 8” speaker in place of the two 5.25” speakers, but so far that’s not happened.

What has happened is I had to fabricate an adapter to allow the 8” speaker to bolt up to the rear deck’s bolt holes. I’m no carpenter, so that was a real mess. Plus, for some reason I have my right rear tire and wheel off and pulled my amp rack and amps all the way out.

Sometimes I don’t know what is going on with me!!

View attachment 985286

View attachment 985288

View attachment 985289

View attachment 985290

View attachment 985291

View attachment 985292
What do you mean, you're not a carpenter? I've seen your ramps...

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you mean, you're not a carpenter? I've seen your ramps...
Well then you can guess what my 7.75” to 8.25” speaker ring looks like. Suffice to say it isn’t exactly round...

in my defense, it started out round, but then I realized that wireless module mounted on the back deck up against the glass protrudes into the speaker indention, and thus into my adapter. So I had to go at it with my jigsaw...and a half an oz of super glue later, it fit around the speaker itself and in the speaker indention in the deck!

Now I only could get 3 bolts through the deck and into it, and I had to come up from underneath to do that, but it works!

And as a matter of fact I just got everything buttoned up earlier and am on a test drive now, and it sounds pretty danged nice. Adds to the system very well, much better than the 5.25” speakers were doing.

So see, it may look like crap, but it does the job superbly! (Just like me!!)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Well then you can guess what my 7.75” to 8.25” speaker ring looks like. Suffice to say it isn’t exactly round...

in my defense, it started out round, but then I realized that wireless module mounted on the back deck up against the glass protrudes into the speaker indention, and thus into my adapter. So I had to go at it with my jigsaw...and a half an oz of super glue later, it fit around the speaker itself and in the speaker indention in the deck!

Now I only could get 3 bolts through the deck and into it, and I had to come up from underneath to do that, but it works!

And as a matter of fact I just got everything buttoned up earlier and am on a test drive now, and it sounds pretty danged nice. Adds to the system very well, much better than the 5.25” speakers were doing.

So see, it may look like crap, but it does the job superbly! (Just like me!!)
All of that is probably something that no one is ever going to see...

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All of that is probably something that no one is ever going to see...
i was going to correct you by pointing out the hookers I let ride in the trunk sometimes will see it, but then I realized they won’t really be able to see anything once they’re in there, so I guess you’re right. 🥴

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
i was going to correct you by pointing out the hookers I let ride in the trunk sometimes will see it, but then I realized they won’t really be able to see anything once they’re in there, so I guess you’re right. 🥴
You better share...

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, so after a couple hours of stereo time with my new 8” midrange speaker in the rear deck taking the place of the two coaxials on either side of it, I am ready to render my go/no-go decision on this particular audio system mod.

For anyone driving an LX/LC car and contemplating this upgrade, or for anyone that hasn’t contemplated it until now, it is my official judgement that this mod is NOT worth it.

That pains me to say because it truly does sound much better than before. The better midbase from the 8” speaker outperforms the 5.25” coaxials and compliments the rest of the system very well.

But I stop short of recommending this particular mod because of the extra effort required to make the speaker fit into the available position - the factory 8” sub hole in the rear deck.

The speaker itself is barely big enough not to fall through the hole, but it is too small to catch the bolt holes already there. This makes fabricating an adapter rather tricky. The (wooden) adapter ring has to be big enough to catch plenty of deck surface to anchor speaker but can’t be so big that it overflows the indention in the deck where the speaker rests.

If you are handy with wood and have plenty of tools to do this sort of thing the right way, then I guess this mod would be a good one. I would highly recommend it in that scenario.

But for regular Joes like me, the extra effort needed to make it all work is likely a bridge too far me thinks. 😕

Nuke, OUT...

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
684 Posts
i was going to correct you by pointing out the hookers I let ride in the trunk..
So.....how many dead American hookers will fit in the trunk of a Charger? How many Thailand she-males? How many Geisha girls? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
But Nuke, it took several days. If you hadn't done it, you'd still be several days older :) Of course, it did deprive you of special "together time" with Mrs. Nuke...

A Guy

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Those honey-dos never go away...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts