Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Challenger out for a ride today & was going around a circular driveway at a school (turning left of course) & there was an unusual noise coming from what I assume to be the rear diff. Not a constant sound, but on/off/on/off/on etc. I couldn't feel a grind or anything, & it was not a clunk, but I could definitely hear it. Anybody have any ideas about this? I have never driven this car very hard - I've dumped the clutch maybe 2-3x & not real high RPM launches. (it's a manual).

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
Record the sound and post it up for us to hear

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
891 Posts
With everything off in the car - hvac fan, radio, etc - you can generally hear the ZF diffs in the 2015+. This is very common and seldom reason for concern. It relates to the way the diff is mounted to the cradle and the chassis and more easily transmits the sound to the cabin.

The diff and cradle is designed to hold big power. Imagine something like a Hellcat clutch dump on slicks. It's all very robust and sometimes the penalty for being robust is a little noise.

You can switch to Amsoil severe gear, but it's not a perfect solution and may still hear it. It is better fluid than the factory fill, but in theory could void the factory diff warranty if you do actually have an issue and need the diff to be replaced.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
613 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Common issue, lots of info on this.
Comp, thanks for the many links to the threads on this. It's hard to describe the actual sound - it is not a howl or anything like that, more like an intermittent dry friction noise. I learned many years ago with my first car (in 1976) - a 1970 Cuda, over time when I drove that car it was like I became part of the car - I strapped the car on - I could feel it. It's been like that ever since - I can hear & feel when something is not right, sometimes it's really hard to describe. Anyway, the dealer I bought the car from gave me a lifetime drivetrain warranty, so if she 'splodes, it's covered. I NEVER had rear diff issues EVER in my many Mopars - including a 71 Charger R/T Hemi car with 3:55 8-3/4 rear. That drivetrain was bulletproof. Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
This is normal noise for a limited slip rear end car as the linted slip additive wears and breaks down.

So either service the rear yourself with fresh 75W-90 synthetic and a bottle of additive or bring it to the dealer where they will do it for you.

Many consider it normal maintenance but if you complain they will cover it under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,265 Posts
Had my 2016 SP differential serviced under warranty a couple months ago due to noise, only 15k miles. They changed fluid and added a friction modifier.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My 2016 Scat Pack did that and they put a new differential and axles in and that took care of it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My 2016 SPS also had that noise. Dealer changed it out and that was the end of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts