Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to replace the differential oil on my 2009 Challenger RT that currently has 60K miles. The qwner's manual calls for 75-90W Gear Lube with friction modifier. My car is a RT model without limited slip so is a bottle of friction modifier still necessary? I was going to use Amsoil synthetic 75-90W lube.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,761 Posts
I plan to replace the differential oil on my 2009 Challenger RT that currently has 60K miles. The qwner's manual calls for 75-90W Gear Lube with friction modifier. My car is a RT model without limited slip so is a bottle of friction modifier still necessary? I was going to use Amsoil synthetic 75-90W lube.
The open diffs don’t require the friction modifier, and usually spec 75W-140 gear oil IIRC

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,448 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,340 Posts
if the weight of oil in that brand already has friction modifier - it won't harm anything in an open differential (which has no clutches) with your A5 R/T application

·
Registered
16,299 Posts
They changed the open diff gear oil recommendation I think for 2015 (same year they went to the ZF) and now say 75W-85 or the same as the limited slip.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,319 Posts
Using Amsoil you should not need it but sometimes the rear diff may require some additional modifier. I would go without it first as you want to use the smallest amount required. If you get any chattering when turning then you know you need to add it. I personally didn't need to add any using Amsoil.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Run 75w140. Won’t hurt a bit may help with noisy back lash in the roof and pinion for a little bit. The more friction modifier you run the faster the clutches will wear out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.