Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize there is a lot of info on this if you search the forum but I haven't been able to find any direct answers, lots of conflicting info. Here is the situation...I have a 2010 Challenger R/T Classic Auto so it has an open diff with 3.06 gears. I have been wanting to change it do a limited slip diff for a long time and the other day I ran across a good deal on a used one on ebay so I bought it. It was advertised that it came out of a 2012 Challenger R/T. There was no VIN on the ebay ad. I got the diff the other day and it had a tag attached to it with the VIN and its from a 2012 Challenger SXT Plus according to the VIN. I decoded the VIN and it does say it came with 3.06 gears but I can't find anything that says if it's limited slip or not. There is no tag with a part number on the diff. There are numbers stamped on it in a couple places but none of the numbers match up to any part numbers I've seen for diffs. I'm just trying to find out exactly what I have so I know if it's limited slip or not and if it will work in my car or not. Can someone look at these pics and tell me what diff this is. If not can anyone direct me to a source that can tell me? Any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
That looks like the standard open rear end to me and probably what you already have. No SXT ever had factory limited slip and the 5.7L automatics that had the optional limited slip used the 226mm Getrag LSD that came standard in SRT and 5.7L with M6. Don't know if you can convert the open to limited slip or not.

Heres some pics that I have as they look in the car, the standard open rear has the visible bolts, the Getrag LSD has the cooling fins on the rear and underneath.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I checked the diff that came in my car from the factory and it looks exactly like this one that I bought. It even has the same numbers cast into the side of the case. Called the place I bought it from and they agreed to refund my money on it since it's apparently not a limited slip differential. Guess I'll be on the hunt for another one now and will make sure I see actual pics before I buy this time!

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger
257 Posts
Update: I checked the diff that came in my car from the factory and it looks exactly like this one that I bought. It even has the same numbers cast into the side of the case. Called the place I bought it from and they agreed to refund my money on it since it's apparently not a limited slip differential. Guess I'll be on the hunt for another one now and will make sure I see actual pics before I buy this time!
I got a 3.06 getrag for sale make me an offer

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a 3.06 getrag for sale make me an offer
I've about talked myself out of doing to swap altogether now. I don't race the car or anything so it really won't make much difference to me in the long run. If I ever decide to upgrade the internals on the motor and put more boost to it then I will upgrade the whole rearend setup and driveshaft but for now I think I'm gonna just leave it alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts