Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need community advice. On my 2nd rear diff on a 2016 R/T. Getting grinding noise again just like I had before the last replacement. Dealership is saying that I just need to add an additive for $80 and that they won't open it up to look at it because if nothing is wrong then it's not covered under the warranty for that work.

Should I have them open it up or spend the money on the additive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
I need community advice. On my 2nd rear diff on a 2016 R/T. Getting grinding noise again just like I had before the last replacement. Dealership is saying that I just need to add an additive for $80 and that they won't open it up to look at it because if nothing is wrong then it's not covered under the warranty for that work.

put the additive - these ZF diffs seem to want a lot more additive than typical.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a call back while I was waiting on responses. Warranty will now supposedly cover them opening it up and taking a look. Glad the representative talked to his warranty advisor. That was a slight frustration but I'm glad they changed their tone.

·
Vendor
12,268 Posts

there is a bulletin for replacing the driveshaft with a dampened version, need to make sure it does not apply
Luke

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
What differential is this? What can they really open up? There's no cover to take off. I was under the impression that they just listened to them, and inspected the oil, and someone, somewhere made a call to replace the whole units, and the dealerships didn't actually open them up at all.

Luke, is that wrong?

My local dealership noticed a noise mine was making a while back, and flipped out and made sure they showed me the metal in the oil they drained. Then, when they found out it was still under warranty, the gears changed, and now it's nothing to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
What differential is this? What can they really open up? There's no cover to take off. I was under the impression that they just listened to them, and inspected the oil, and someone, somewhere made a call to replace the whole units, and the dealerships didn't actually open them up at all.

Luke, is that wrong?

My local dealership noticed a noise mine was making a while back, and flipped out and made sure they showed me the metal in the oil they drained. Then, when they found out it was still under warranty, the gears changed, and now it's nothing to worry about.
The ZF diffs have a rear cover that can be removed for inspection. ['15 to present]

With the Getrag ['09 - '14] the case is cross bolted (L <-> R) so this one doesn't have a rear cover that can be removed for inspection.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The ZF diffs have a rear cover that can be removed for inspection. ['15 to present]

With the Getrag ['09 - '14] the case is cross bolted (L <-> R) so this one doesn't have a rear cover that can be removed for inspection.
Hmmm... That's interesting. The service manager told me they had no covers to remove and inspect. I've done it many times before on my older cars and trucks. I just hadn't looked into what my 2015 had, and was taking his word for it. I guess we will keep an eye on it, and take a closer inspection next spring.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Picked the car up today, they said that they changed the fluids and that the noise went away. Is it just me or does 1yr seem a bit excessive for having to change out rear diff fluids? Anyways, I didn't really have a chance to test out hard cornering at low speeds but any sounds or feels I felt before on normal driving were gone. In addition my shifting feels incredibly smoother than in the past including the chunk from 1st to 2nd.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Not unless you're putting 36,000 miles on the car a year, or drive it through really deep water.

There's a chance that they didn't add enough friction modifier last year, and that's what caused the noise.

Did they charge you for this change?

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
Update: Picked the car up today, they said that they changed the fluids and that the noise went away. Is it just me or does 1yr seem a bit excessive for having to change out rear diff fluids? Anyways, I didn't really have a chance to test out hard cornering at low speeds but any sounds or feels I felt before on normal driving were gone. In addition my shifting feels incredibly smoother than in the past including the chunk from 1st to 2nd.

Its likely they changed fluid and added additional friction modifier which would quiet the clutches.

·
Registered
155 Posts
my '15 challenger had 6k miles on it when i bought it and i had the noise at low speed turns and found a lot of people complained of it and i just got around to changing the fluid with the amsoil sever duty and its totally quiet now.i can say i barely drained a quart and assume it had factory fluid in it so i guess it was just low on fluid.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts