Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this video a 2015 Charger R/T owner shows how to change the differential fluid.

Watch at the 9:01 minute mark where he shows you the metal gear shavings from the break-in period.

It's proof that it's worth changing the fluid early.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
33 Posts
That's a lot more than just break-in and lots of miles. He got problems. If my transmission, engine or rear differential had that much metal in the oil it would be coming out and on the bench for a diagnosis and a rebuild. BTDT

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently changed my rear end oil, trans fluid, and the engine oil for the second time at 1,900 miles. I changed the engine oil at 700 mi the first time. Probably a bit much, but i enjoy doing it and it sure cant hurt anything. Plus you get a pretty good idea how things are wearing in.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
33 Posts
what do i need to buy for 2015 scat? i wanna get this done asap
I changed all my fluids on my 2015 Scat last October when I got it. Since I had no maintenance history on it I changed everything. Engine oil, Trans, Diff and brake fluid.
The rear diff holds 2.3 pints which is 36.8oz or just a touch over 1 quart at 1.15QT. I used Amsoil Severe Gear® 75W-90 (SVGPK) Which is a full synthetic gear lube. Or you you can get some from your local Dodge dealer. It's part number is 68232948AA . It's nothing fancy, Just synthetic SAE 75W85 (API GL-5) . All of these would also work.

If you don't already know here's some pics of the drain and fill plugs. Just fill up the diff until the oil starts to trickle out the fill plug hole. Car needs to be level when doing this.

Drain Plug

Fill Plug

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I suspect that the endless burnouts we're treated to at the video intro has a lot more to do with that metal in the pan than anything else.

As an engineer, I cringe whenever I see drain plugs tightened down without a torque wrench. For those with the same mania as me, the torque spec for drain and fill plugs on a 2015 Challenger is 26 foot pounds. This guy clearly poured on a hell of a lot more.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
33 Posts
I suspect that the endless burnouts we're treated to at the video intro has a lot more to do with that metal in the pan than anything else.

As an engineer, I cringe whenever I see drain plugs tightened down without a torque wrench. For those with the same mania as me, the torque spec for drain and fill plugs on a 2015 Challenger is 26 foot pounds. This guy clearly poured on a hell of a lot more.
Especially a steel plug into a aluminum housing.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I changed all my fluids on my 2015 Scat last October when I got it. Since I had no maintenance history on it I changed everything. Engine oil, Trans, Diff and brake fluid.
The rear diff holds 2.3 pints which is 36.8oz or just a touch over 1 quart at 1.15QT. I used Amsoil Severe Gear® 75W-90 (SVGPK) Which is a full synthetic gear lube. Or you you can get some from your local Dodge dealer. It's part number is 68232948AA . It's nothing fancy, Just synthetic SAE 75W85 (API GL-5) . All of these would also work.

If you don't already know here's some pics of the drain and fill plugs. Just fill up the diff until the oil starts to trickle out the fill plug hole. Car needs to be level when doing this.

Drain Plug

Fill Plug
thanks for the info, got it done in under 25 min!! thanks again

Drain Plug

Fill Plug
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant Hood Green

·
Registered
673 Posts
I didn't need the slip lock additive when I changed mine to Amsoil. The Amsoil severe gear seems compatable with dodges limited slip differentials, Both my Ram and Challenger didn't need the additive.
yeah it says right on the slip lock its not needed with amsoil but the guy let me get it for free along with a wd40 but amsoil brand so i took it and thanked him, where i bought it frim is an independent seller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts