Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

So this is new to me. I took the car to get an oil change and they said that it shows I need my rear wheel differential fluid filled. But, they weren't sure what to fill it with and I didn't have my owners manual on me, so they told me to figure it out and come back.

Any ideas? I have a 2014 Challenger RT. I have never done this before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it is low check for leaks. 75w 90 synthetic. I would drain and refill.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I would also go to another shop! That is excuse less in the computer age. A simple google search........
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Hey guys

So this is new to me. I took the car to get an oil change and they said that it shows I need my rear wheel differential fluid filled. But, they weren't sure what to fill it with and I didn't have my owners manual on me, so they told me to figure it out and come back.

Any ideas? I have a 2014 Challenger RT. I have never done this before.

Thanks!
There's two different GL5 lubricants called for

M6 use the lighter weight gear oil w/ friction modifier [for the limited slip diff] use -75W90

A5 use the heavier weight gear oil - these are 'open' diffs and use 75W140
-some cars were optioned with the limited slip - the tell tale is the case is a bright aluminum with fins on it.

The standard A5 open diff has a smooth case - no cooling fins

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would really wonder how they checked it was low. The way you check it's full is to have the sidebolt off and when it starts to pour out, stop putting oil in. This is a job you can do yourself also, it's really easy you just need a little oil can with a nozzle and an hour of time...

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
What shows it needs to be filled? The only way that I am aware of for you to loose rear end fluid is a leak, this could also happen through the breather (I don't even know if these cars have one?) but no matter what there would be evidence of a leak.

Check it or get it checked by someone else (another shop) and if it needs topping up see post #2.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You've come face to face with a scam. There is nothing that, "says" the rear diff needs a fluid top off. This is a shop looking to take your money.

There are two ways to check if the rear diff needs fluid.
1) A puddle under your rear.
2) Open the fill plug and see if fluid runs out. If it doesn't, then fill it.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
You've come face to face with a scam. There is nothing that, "says" the rear diff needs a fluid top off. This is a shop looking to take your money.

There are two ways to check if the rear diff needs fluid.
1) A puddle under your rear.
2) Open the fill plug and see if fluid runs out. If it doesn't, then fill it.

LOL!!!!! Yes, face to face. A dumb one too! They could have put motor oil in there and said anything. Now I think you are also lucky!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's two different GL5 lubricants called for

M6 use the lighter weight gear oil w/ friction modifier [for the limited slip diff] use -75W90

A5 use the heavier weight gear oil - these are 'open' diffs and use 75W140
-some cars were optioned with the limited slip - the tell tale is the case is a bright aluminum with fins on it.

The standard A5 open diff has a smooth case - no cooling fins
I have a Manual Transmission 2011 Challenger SRT and my aluminum differential w fins is an OPEN GETRAG 3.91 differential...PN 68085391AA...I opened the case, There is no doubt...look up part # snd it says "wo Limied Slip".....

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I have a Manual Transmission 2011 Challenger SRT and my aluminum differential w fins is an OPEN GETRAG 3.91 differential...PN 68085391AA...I opened the case, There is no doubt...look up part # snd it says "wo Limied Slip".....
You have Auto or Manual trans?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
All Getrag differentials in all ratios 3.06 / 3.73 / 3.91 are limited slip - that's the way they're built

another way (with lube filled) to check whether its limited slip with both wheels off the ground, in neutral, parking brake off.

Turn one wheel by hand - the other one will rotate in the same direction.

If the clutches are worn out, then it could behave like an open diff, where the opposite tire rotates in the reverse directions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts