Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have the basic 2017 SXT. Im interested in changing out my rear differential gears to the ones for an SXT Plus. I want that little extra kick from the line without doing a ton of upgrades that i cant afford right now. Going from the 2.62 to the 3.09. Is it just a simple swap of the gears or will i need to change out the entire case or get a special tune to make it compatible? Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
So i have the basic 2017 SXT. Im interested in changing out my rear differential gears to the ones for an SXT Plus. I want that little extra kick from the line without doing a ton of upgrades that i cant afford right now. Going from the 2.62 to the 3.09. Is it just a simple swap of the gears or will i need to change out the entire case or get a special tune to make it compatible? Thanks for any advice!
As long as the differential you are going to is also an open one (not LSD in other words), you can get away with just swapping out the pumpkins. All the axles and such will remain from previous (current) setup.

The 2015+ cars no longer need to adjust the tune to account for a rear-end change, the car will automatically detect it and be good to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also, as far as I can tell, nobody makes an install kit to just change the gear set. Even the dealers are swapping out the center section vice changing the gears. I ended up swapping my Mettingen one legger with 3.06 for a Getrag posi with 3.73's.

I calculated it up, and if somebody did make an install kit for the Mettingen, by the time you added up the cost of the gear set, install kit, and a posi unit (Wavetrac or Quaife ATB Helical) and everything else, the cost difference between building up the the 215 and swapping out to a Getrag was less than $550. Neither option is exactly cheap, but swapping the entire rear and axles not only gets you the gear set you want, but the Getrag is much stronger.

·
Premium Member
4,492 Posts
At the risk of sounding presumptive, I'm guessing you're an old school gear-head from way back (it takes one to know one, right?!?).

A rear-end gear swap is still a valid approach to increasing the low-end acceleration of an under-geared car, but it's no longer as involved as it used to be...which h is a good thing, trust me.

The old way:
You would crack open the rear diff and remove its guts to install some other guts that had a diff ratio. And you better know what you're doing and have all the right tools, or you will end up spilling those guts all over the road the next time you put the hammer down.

The new way:
Ascertain which year models have compatible third members, locate one at a local salvage yard in the desired ratio, block off a weekend to swap out the pumpkins. BLAMMO! You got yourself a lowered geared rear-end to help ease the hangover you got from two straight days of drinking and turning wrenches.

There are some caveats to the new approach, like doing the hubs and axles at the same time if you're going from open to LSD or vice-versa, but that's it in a nutshell. It really is a more straightforward way to do this mod IMHO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts