Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a nice warm sunny day to drive my 2010 Challenger R/T 6 speed. I have noticed whenever I want to gun it from first that I can hear the wheels loose traction throughout 1st gear and it goes sideways up until the first shift, 1-2 shift big chirp, goes sideways, then the 2-3 chirp again, then 3-4, chirp again!

Very exciting to get this sort of feed back from a stock car. I know these engines make impressive torque, but is this normal? All I have is the Mopar (Borla) catback. Tires have tons of tread, they are the F1 Super cars. Maybe they threw in a 6.1 instead of a 5.7? LOL Just kidding :liar:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can make my grandmas VW 2.0l 5spd chirp gears to. Of course you can do that!!!! Enjoy, have fun with it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Na man I think your car is broke thats not normal, It should break a craddle bushing, blow a power steering hose and burn your car down or crack a rocker arm along the shaft doing all that lol

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
It's the tires. F1's suck. Is it still cold
Up there ? That could be the problem to.they don't like cooler temps. Mine used to do that too. I think it's cool but those tires suck

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the tires. F1's suck. Is it still cold
Up there ? That could be the problem to.they don't like cooler temps. Mine used to do that too. I think it's cool but those tires suck
Thanks for a real response. You are right, it's in the high 50s low 60s. Maybe once the weather gets warmer the tires will get stickier. :)

I gotta admit, breaking the tires loose is very fun. This is the most powerful car I've had. Last was a '03 Mustang GT which did well in it's own right, but not as powerful as the Challenger.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It was a nice warm sunny day to drive my 2010 Challenger R/T 6 speed. I have noticed whenever I want to gun it from first that I can hear the wheels loose traction throughout 1st gear and it goes sideways up until the first shift, 1-2 shift big chirp, goes sideways, then the 2-3 chirp again, then 3-4, chirp again!

Very exciting to get this sort of feed back from a stock car. I know these engines make impressive torque, but is this normal? All I have is the Mopar (Borla) catback. Tires have tons of tread, they are the F1 Super cars. Maybe they threw in a 6.1 instead of a 5.7? LOL Just kidding :liar:
Nice isn't it!

Jack

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thanks for a real response. You are right, it's in the high 50s low 60s. Maybe once the weather gets warmer the tires will get stickier. :)

I gotta admit, breaking the tires loose is very fun. This is the most powerful car I've had. Last was a '03 Mustang GT which did well in it's own right, but not as powerful as the Challenger.
It sure ain't gonna be fun no more once you price out a pair of those Eagle F1 tires! :lol:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Anything near 50 or lower will cause the F1's to lose traction. I spin mine in 2nd as well until the ESP kicks in.
I take it you had it off. With it active, you shouldn't be able to spin freely all through 1st.

·
Super Moderator
14,130 Posts
I have the Goodyears RSAs on my auto. SRT and a MOPAR CAI. I have noticed that in cold weather, my car is making more horsepower and wants to break loose when a floor it from a slow rolling start.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just sayin'... IMO the F1's are an excellent tire. Had them on my R32 and that sucker handled like it was on rails. Tire pressure, ambient temp., weather/road conditions and application of power are all important factors. Depending on vehicle, the only tires I'll buy are Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli and Falken. Again my personal experience over many years.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah these hemi's are extremely sensitive to heat, they are almost like a supercharged car. I saw first hand how this worked when I got my car tuned. The guy that tuned my car told me dont worry it might not seem like the car is gaining much power as I tune due to its getting hotter, but when we do a final pull we will cool the car down for about 30 mins and you will see the gain. We cooled the car to the same coolant and intake temp as the baseline pull and bam 19.8rwhp and 25.8 rwtq, and before it was cooled it wasnt making much more than the stock tune. So the key to these cars is keep em cool if especially on the track if they are going to do anything, ice the intake manifold down, and if you can make thru the staging lanes quick I bet you can pick up a few 10ths. I would imagine this is one of the reasons they went away from the aluminum on the srt's, cause its bad enough with the composite. These cars are definately alot stronger when cold. I wonder if its cause these cars use a map sensor instead of maf why they do that tho. It dont make sense to me but I saw it with my own eyes. I really think the heat is a precursor to the real problem tho, I would think since mines n/a that heat soak wouldnt cause this big a difference.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just sayin'... IMO the F1's are an excellent tire. Had them on my R32 and that sucker handled like it was on rails. Tire pressure, ambient temp., weather/road conditions and application of power are all important factors. Depending on vehicle, the only tires I'll buy are Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli and Falken. Again my personal experience over many years.
I completely agree, when the F1's get some heat in them, Theres not many street tires that can compare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts