Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my challanger back from the dealer. Brought it in in Dec because of the howl from the rear end. Took the dealer this long to get the new part in. Quite now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
what parts did they change, and is your car stick or auto?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Do you know if there was a new or updated part number for the rear end? Did they just replace the center section? Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I’ll I know is that the dealer stated that the Differential was a sealed unit and they had to change the whole thing. Which they ordered and it took three months to get. I have a 6 speed and I stared to notice it with less than 3000 miles on it and got it to the dealer with 5000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I just got my challanger back from the dealer. Brought it in in Dec because of the howel from the rear end. Took the dealer this long to get the new part in. Quite now.
Vehicle details please ?

(year, model, tranny, mileage, speed/nature of howl)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 5.7 R/T with a 6 speed. My car had about 3500 miles on it when I started to here a howl from the back of the car. It would howl when I lifted my foot off the throttle at any speed. At first I wasn’t sure if it was a noise because of the car type. Past Dodge and Chrysler s I’ve owned have had weird sounds. Nothing was bad just a quirk from the transmission like old Newport’s and Imperials with push button auto’s. But it kept getting louder so I took it in. They replaced the whole rear end axels and all. Then in squeaked like a 25 year old beater, they over tightened the bushings. Brought it back and the dealer replaced all the bushings and a couple of links. Nice and quite now. The dealer never questioned the problems.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Did they give you a loaner or why didn't you use it while the part was on order? I know with my extra warranty they are suppose to get you a car if your car has to stay over night. I couldn't do without my Challenger for 3 months. My wife wont drive my camaro and that's all we have other than my company truck that she's not allowed to drive and the Challenger.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ignore the sealed unit comments. They want you to never change the Tranny or Diff fluids so they fail after the warrenty is out. Change your Rear and Tranny fluids at 40-45k if you wish 30k. The BG Flush system is excellent and the tranny should be just fine.

If you leave that fluid in those parts the carbon deposits will create expensive havoc especially in an automatic. They have drain plugs.

Sealed Units = :liar:

·
Registered
196 Posts
sealed unit ,as in, cant fix it. throow it out and install a new one. i'm on my third rear in mine because there is no repair parts available.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Just my 2 cents, I worked as a service writer at a dealership for 3 months, thats all I could stand, that being said the BG flush is just a way for the dealer to make a lot of money off of their customers that don't know any better. Not saying you don't need to change your fluid you do its just way over priced.
I have always changed all drive line fluids @ 50K no matter what.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ah just wait a minute here......my private mech does this for us and the freaking BG is not expensive and it does clean out the tranny and rear spotless. I have a 2004 4 X 4 truck with 271k and I swear by this stuff besides we have been racing together IMSA GT for 25 years now.

Also not many dealersips even do a BG flush so kudos to the one you worked at for 3 months.....but the BG Flush and Fluids are excellent you'll never break a tranny with this stuff in there. IMHO

·
Registered
940 Posts
If he's a friend maybe he don't charge to much or as you put it a private mechanic but most dealership's at least where I live have an outrageous charge for it. I did say overcharge not that it wasn't any good and by the way this is my opinion and we all do have one. Sorry you didn't like mine.

You are right it's not expensive, 50/60 bucks until they mark it up to $189.00 or whatever that number is. That's all I meant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 2011 has 6k miles on it howls under decel also told my service advisor and i was told that the car needs a break in period and my noise isnt loud enough to repar oh and the rear end tech says if misdaignose the problem the dealership will have to pay for the repair

still under factory warranty life time warranty and 100k mile power train warranty.

2011 r/t 6spd all stock any help??????

·
Registered
151 Posts
my 2011 has 6k miles on it howls under decel also told my service advisor and i was told that the car needs a break in period and my noise isnt loud enough to repar oh and the rear end tech says if misdaignose the problem the dealership will have to pay for the repair

still under factory warranty life time warranty and 100k mile power train warranty.

2011 r/t 6spd all stock any help??????

Take it to another dealer for diagnosis. One thing to consider is that you have plenty of warranty time/mileage left so you may want to wait a bit before taking it to another dealer for diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I had a slight whine under light load at exactly 60mph, basically when cruising. I drained the factory fluid and put in Mobil 1 75w90. Noise from the diff is completely gone.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think ur service manual says at 15000- 20000 to change ur diff fluid and again at 100,000...

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I had a slight whine under light load at exactly 60mph, basically when cruising. I drained the factory fluid and put in Mobil 1 75w90. Noise from the diff is completely gone.
Thanks for this input, - I'll try it this weekend (I planned on changing my fluid again before putting it up for the winter).

Q: What type/brand, and amount of friction modifier did you put in with the Mobil 1 75w90 ?

PS: I have Royal purple in it now. Made ever so slight difference, but hard to tell. Maybe Mobil 1 is the ticket.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Thanks for this input, - I'll try it this weekend (I planned on changing my fluid again before putting it up for the winter).

Q: What type/brand, and amount of friction modifier did you put in with the Mobil 1 75w90 ?

PS: I have Royal purple in it now. Made ever so slight difference, but hard to tell. Maybe Mobil 1 is the ticket.
None is required, the Mobil 1 75w90 is an "LS" fluid so it already has the correct additive/properties. :)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Reactions: Dream Challenger

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
have you guys seen this? might give this a try
Tame your Getrag Whine
The procedure in the "tame your Getrag" thread helped mine a bunch. It was easy enough to do. Also there is a TSB that came out in July concerning the whine on all SRT and RT's with a manual transmission. If you complain to a dealer they should install the damper kit for free.

From TSB:
NOTE: This bulletin applies to ALL SRT 8 vehicles (Sales Code ESG, ESH or ESF). or
all Challengers equipped with 5.7L engine (sales code EZC, EZH or EZD) and
the TR 6060 Manual Transmission (Sales Code DEC).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the rear axle whines when driving at steady highway speeds.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:

Link to TSB...

Reactions: Tomahawk
1 - 20 of 36 Posts