Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/-cSHnVMXtmU

I've developed this popping sound yesterday everytime I stop. You can hear the popping at 0:21 and 0:33, when I stop in front of the camera. I've removed everything loose from the rear end. The battery and fuse box is secured tight. I think it might be my differential. Any thoughts?

I've already had my diff serviced under a TSB by the stealership for low speed whining during turns, which didn't fix it. I still have low speed whining.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
https://youtu.be/-cSHnVMXtmU

I've developed this popping sound yesterday everytime I stop. You can hear the popping at 0:21 and 0:33, when I stop in front of the camera. I've removed everything loose from the rear end. The battery and fuse box is secured tight. I think it might be my differential. Any thoughts?

I've already had my diff serviced under a TSB by the stealership for low speed whining during turns, which didn't fix it. I still have low speed whining.
Did this start right after you got it back from the dealership? I am thinking U joint.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did this start right after you got it back from the dealership? I am thinking U joint.

No, this is ~6 months since I had the dealership replace the diff fluid under the TSB. I just noticed it last night as I was parking.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Two things come to mind:
The bushing above the rear differential failed or the nut on the back of the transmission output shaft is loose. I've read both being an issue and causing the same noise on these cars.
hth, Ron

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealership has it and they are replacing the differential.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my car back from the dealership. I got good news, bad news, and bad news.

Dealership replaced my differential which has gotten rid of all the popping and chattering when doing turns. Also found that my right rear shock was gone. Replaced that, too, but it looks like my rear wheel has some significant negative camber.

They lubed my shift linkage under SB 21-020-16 after I had noise coming from the center console when braking.

Now for the bad news.

They also replaced my serpentine belt because apparently a cat got in my engine and was stuck in the belt when they turned it on...

The rear end popping, that I've shown in the youtube video is still there.

Honestly, I'm done. I kinda wish I never bought this car. I feel like its getting into lemon law territory. Less than 2 years old and only 12,000 miles on it and the amount of times I've been to the dealership is excessive for this time frame plus I got the bullshit sport mode bug that Dodge is refusing to address.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
probably look into the lemon laws in Louisiana - which at the least, your state has.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If I am not mistaken, but then again I don't really know the specifics of the lemon law. But doesn't it have to be the same problem that can't be fixed or get fixed?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I am not mistaken, but then again I don't really know the specifics of the lemon law. But doesn't it have to be the same problem that can't be fixed or get fixed?

Depends on the state but thats generally how it is. Louisiana is 4 tries or 90 days out of service. I'm just really frustrated that I've been in the dealer for a bunch of different things.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Nevermind. I just went to mess with it some more. I lifted the back end off the ground. Checked all the bolts to see if anything was loose. The CV joints look fine. No free play in the axles. I put it in neutral and spun the tires while I lay under the differential. When I do a hard stop when spinning the tires it sounded like a popping coming from the differential. I'm more inclined now to say that my new differential is making the same popping noise.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just took it back to the dealer and the got the service tech who said that its normal. Anyone else with an M6 have a clunk or pop in the back when you come to a sudden stop? After I lifted my rear end yesterday it definately seems like its differential back lash but I think its hard to believe that the amount of free play required to make it pop like that is normal.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Did they ACTUALLY replace the diff? Are there any other dealers you can take it to? The only time I'd expect any popping would be while turning sharp, and one wheel is having to travel farther than the other. But that would be the clutches. It seems strange to me. I have an auto, so I can't answer the M6 part of the question.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did they ACTUALLY replace the diff?
Yup. Brand spankin new shinny diff on it. I definitely needed a new diff because there was popping coming from it when I was turning. But the popping or clunk that is still there (and part of the reason why I originally brought it to the dealership) is a separate event that only occurs on hard stops. I ask for other M6 because the diff we have is different from the A8. Also, I don't think its a suspension part because the sound doesn't happen when I go over speed bumps.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The sound that was coming from my diff was the weirdest thing ever. When I had driven it a while on the highway, and then was turning tight corners in a parking lot, it sounded more like a small motor was running in the back of the car. Like, a strange whine, or something. It's hard to describe. It was kind of like the sound you hear when the garage door is closing, and you're in the house. The dealership heard it too, without me even mentioning it to them. They started freaking out about how horrible the gear fluid looked, and how it had a bunch of metal in it. Then I informed them that Chrysler had owned the car for the first 41, 000 miles, and i was the first owner. Suddenly, the diff was fine, and I had nothing to be concerned about.

Chrysler changed out the engine before they sold the car, and they replaced the transmission a few months ago. I'm pretty sure this car was driven hard when they had it. I really wish I could find out how it was really used, and talk to the people that drove it. I also wish it was easy to crack these diffs open, and inspect them.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,574 Posts
Never had a popping sound from my limited slip diff but I do have a pronounced whine that my dealership said is fine but if it gets worse they would replace. I do notice a low grumbling noise when I take a sharp low speed turn but it is most likely due to not running enough friction modifier in it. I took royal purple's word that they add modifier in their oil..probably not enough. Now that I run a SC, the whining noise has increased but dealer won't touch it so I bought a new one online for ~$700 shipped. The limited slip 3.9:1 diff is the cheapest out their. They are pretty easy to replace and can be done in half a day.

I would think clunking would come from the 2 piece driveshaft as the torsion load changes abruptly when you stop. Have you looked at the condition of the mid (guido sp?) bearing? When I swapped to a one piece I notice the rubber was torn...probably due to the increase torque from the SC and me dropping the clutch like it was an ugly prom date.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Does it pop if/when you let out the clutch quickly?

It sounds like something flexing in the chassis or brakes, not the diff.

Could be the exhaust ?

That flex coupling and the diff should be free wheeling with the clutch in to stop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts