Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know very much about rear end work. I know that my 2010 R/T auto has 3:06 gears and does not have limited slip diff. I'd like my R/T to pull a little better on the street. I don't plan on using it at the track. A friend of mine suggested that I take it to the dealer and have them install lower gears such as 3:55s. Could I have just the gears installed and if so what kind of performance change should I expect? I'd appreciate any opinions on this.

·
Registered
940 Posts
No gears available you will have to buy the whole center section from a six speed car and have it installed. I have done this and its the best upgrade you could possibly do. It picked my 1/4 mile times up 9 tenths and is a ball to drive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would agree with Lurch, changed gearing on my 1974 Challenger, went from 3.23 to 3.91, a huge difference in acceleration. This would be too much of a change on the 2010 Challenger as the auto trans has a very steep 1st gear, 3.59 vs my old 727's 2.45(if you can get it, a 3.55 would be just about perfect). Bang for the buck and still look completely stock, this would be the way to go. Just remember there is a mileage sacrifice with this. Betting that change alone would put an R/T deep in the twelves.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems that there is more than one way to go with this. Based on what you guys have told me it sounds like a very worth wild mod. I could order the 3:55s from Richmond and have the dealer install them. This probably wouldn't offer the same performance gain as replacing the whole center section but might be a lot less expensive. Whatever I do I certainly appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
A set of Richmond 3:55 gears cost about $600.
A shop is going to charge you around $300 just to set-up the gears.
Plus the labor to install.
You will have the smaller 215mm Mennington with a open rear when you are done.

I bought a complete rear sub-frame with 226mm, 3:91 Getrag limited slip, and the axles from a recycling yard for $900.
I then sold the factory 215mm 3:06 rear out of my Challenger for $300, and the axles and hubs for $300.
This is an upgrade for the LX guys.
I still have the gutted sub-frame for parts if ever needed.

You see where I'm going with this post.
There are other ways to go with a gear swap that can be inexpensive.
There are also 3:73 Getrag rears made that can be found, but less common.

Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts