Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
• 2020 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell which differential I have? I have a 2020 R/T Shaker with manual transmission. I don't see anything on the window sticker that indicates anything about the rear end.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The LSD (It acts more like a positraction than limited slip), has fins, aluminum cover. The open diff looks like a chevy 10 or 12 bolt

Reactions: Soren

·
Super Moderator
17,431 Posts
Soren - you have the 3.90 limited slip diff when you have the M6

Reactions: Soren

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,059 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,360 Posts
The LSD (It acts more like a positraction than limited slip), has fins, aluminum cover. The open diff looks like a chevy 10 or 12 bolt
U need to do your home work, Posi or limited slip are the same thing. JUST a manufactures NAME for the same thing.

U have open, clutch, air, cone, spool, torsen helical gear and electric. Sure there is more, tired at the moment.

My old chevy's had posi, my fords had limited slip. SAME dam thing. Dodge is Tru track me thinks

·
Registered
675 Posts
U need to do your home work, Posi or limited slip are the same thing. JUST a manufactures NAME for the same thing.

U have open, clutch, air, cone, spool, torsen helical gear and electric. Sure there is more, tired at the moment.

My old chevy's had posi, my fords had limited slip. SAME dam thing. Dodge is Tru track me thinks
The marketing descriptions can be confusing.

on older cars without computers, there was a limited slip where if one wheel lost traction, the other one would start spinning. quote from a GM press release
"Often referred to as the G80 for its order code, the rear axle locks automatically if one wheel starts to spin, enabling both rear wheels to propel the truck"

On my challenger, both wheels are always providing traction. the tires chirp when i pull out of a parking spot at low speed. like driving a 4wd truck in 4wd on dry pavement

·
Registered
147 Posts
Back in the day Chrysler, Dodge, and Plymouth call there LSD(limited slip diff.) a SureGrip, Posi was General Motors name for an LSD. In the modern Dodge cars and trucks it is called an Anti-Spin Differential rear axle and it is usually printed on the window sticker as Anti-Spin Differential or at least the ones I've purchased did. The best way to tell is to put the rear of the car on jack stands, put it in neutral and turn one of the rear tires by hand if they both turn in the same direction it's an Anti-Spin(LSD), if the other tire doesn't turn or turns in the opposite direction it's an open rear diff.

·
Super Moderator
17,431 Posts
Thanks, I just got my build sheet too!

Neat thing to have, more proof my car is an SXT with R/T package!!!
Yes - that was a 2015 "thing"

my 2016 Monroney shows a Scat Pack with 3 mode Bilstein suspension (that was exclusive to SRTs) which was another glitch with the formatting on the Monroney that year

the other ones are the 2018s that show auto up / down power windows - auto up never worked on Challengers and that verbiage was discontinued later

·
Registered
16,452 Posts
Pontiac called it Safe-T-Track, remember that from my Firebird days but it was just a GM clutch posi like all the rest.

The GM G80 Locker was a real locker and works great if you understand it and know how it works, but was trucks only. Got one on my 05 pickup and still works like new. The car G80s were totally different and were clutch type.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.