Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, am I just missing a step on pulling the rear seats down, or is this an incredibly horrible design flaw? When I pull down my rear seat, I have to move the front seats up to the point I can barely fit in comfortably. I am only 5'9", so it isn't like I need the seat all the way back.....Am I missing something, the only option I see is fold them down, no way to remove rear headrest, or reposition the folded down rear seat.

Thoughts? Directions, LOL?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
It's probably because the challenger is a coupe, if they made it long enough to have that kind of room in the back seat, you could just put 2 additional doors on it instead. Of course they already have that, it's called the Charger.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Plus
85 Posts
I slide my seat forward enough so the the rear seat folds down then I set the seat back to where I like it. The head rest will compress against the front seat back and doesn't seem to cause any issues. I did a 900 mile trip from Chicago to Virginia and when I arrived and unloaded the car the seat back and headrest were both fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TDidi, Thats basically what I do, but the rear headrests are shoved into my back through the seat and I end up sitting more forward than I like.

Coupe or not, a removable headrest on the rear seats, would have made a ton of difference. It just wasn't engineered thoroughly IMO. I've owned a number of coupes with folding rear seats and pretty much all of them worked fine with the front seats in any position.

And another thing! they even put the larger (60) side on the DRIVER side. Switching the 60/40 split would have given better clearance and no issue with the Driver seat.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Plus
85 Posts
TDidi, Thats basically what I do, but the rear headrests are shoved into my back through the seat and I end up sitting more forward than I like.

Coupe or not, a removable headrest on the rear seats, would have made a ton of difference. It just wasn't engineered thoroughly IMO. I've owned a number of coupes with folding rear seats and pretty much all of them worked fine with the front seats in any position.

And another thing! they even put the larger (60) side on the DRIVER side. Switching the 60/40 split would have given better clearance and no issue with the Driver seat.
I agree it's not perfect but a small inconvenience for an overall awesome car, that's fun to drive, I just try not to load it like that too often but I'm moving to VA and have no choice right now. One more trip/load and I'm done. I'm planning on getting a truck as a second vehicle once I'm settled in so no more overloading the challenger

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I just haulass in my Challenger.The big stuff I use the pickup.
lol, that's the way to do it!!

Unfortunately, I don't have a pickup, and I had to do a Sams Club run today. Trunk took six cases of bottled water, a box of trash can liners, the tool box I keep there, and a crate that holds bottle stuff, oil, washer fluid, windex. Plenty of room, the only thing that didn't fit was the package of a dozen rolls of paper towels, had to put them in the front.

I didn't have to put the back seat down, but I know if I did, they wouldn't lay flat. It's a price I guess you just have to pay for driving a Challenger....

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Yea I know some have no choice but to use what they have.I'm obsessive about scratches and interior scuffs.I'd walk a mile to not park by someone.If for any reason something is put in the trunk,I won't let anyone else do it,they like to drag stuff across the bumper.After this post i'll check out the seat though just to see.My wife may make me sleep there.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Def a design flaw, but come on, not bad if I can put a six foot ladder in the back with the seats down, and the trunk still close with no problems :thumbsup:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I am on a quest to lay the back seat backs down without having to move the front seats. I will have to have some replacement headrests for the back seat backs made, I think, even if I remove the back seat bottom.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That would pretty much involve an entirely different back seat (upright part) wouldn't it? Seems like kind of a hassle and quite an expense just to not have to move the front seats when u lay down the back one?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'd be looking into how the seat backs come out of the car before paying hundreds to redo the back seats in a material that might not match.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Ok, am I just missing a step on pulling the rear seats down, or is this an incredibly horrible design flaw? When I pull down my rear seat, I have to move the front seats up to the point I can barely fit in comfortably. I am only 5'9", so it isn't like I need the seat all the way back.....Am I missing something, the only option I see is fold them down, no way to remove rear headrest, or reposition the folded down rear seat.

Thoughts? Directions, LOL?

Mine does the same. You're not missing the boat here. I'm 6 foot and drive normally with the seat all the way back. Nobody is sitting on my side of the back seat with me driving...And I added a Mopar rear strut brace. Luckily its designed so that the horizontal bar is removable so that longer and more stuff can be placed in the truck, with or without the rear seats dropped.

You think rear trunk space is cramped with the Challenger, take a look at a Mustang. I hear they have nil.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well of course you would. Second-guessing before the fact is a national pastime.
Or it may have something to do with me being an engineer for Chrysler with interiors in the past. So I'm second guessing with the facts you might say.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Or it may have something to do with me being an engineer for Chrysler with interiors in the past. So I'm second guessing with the facts you might say.
Oh dang. Pulled the engineer card. Cold blooded. Haha I kid. Def might be PMing boogts when I need a referral out of school lol.

The only way I would attempt this mod is if I had cloth seats and wanted to upgrade to those KatSkins, or something similar, seat covers. Even then, I'd REALLY have to want those seats to lay flat, without a hassle. Just my .02.

·
Registered
929 Posts
There's your facts and there's my facts and since I haven't even started to accumulate any and you're telling me I'm wrong before I even start, I guess you just win by default right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts