Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT+ Blacktop
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My 2016 that I’ve driven since new has a near howling noise coming from what sounds like the bottom center of car. I thought maybe the exhaust. I got under it found a small leak at one of the connecting points, put some of that tar tape on and that’s go but still have this noise. Took my 22s off put the stocks on that have near new rubber same noise.

Havent really been driving much but today this morning I went on the highway at 70 and this thing is buzzing. It’s louder than the aftermarket pipes. It sounds exactly to when you are a kid and you put baseball cars in your bike wheel spokes.

It originally sounded like something was catching similar to a tire rubbing the splash guard unevenly but I was able to completely rule that out. Sounded like a uneven rubbing when the car is slowing down without apply brakes it’s apparent something is wrong. When you’re rolling and throw it in neutral the noise nearly fully goes away.

Makes me think it’s the rear diff? I only have 44K hard miles on it. Hard because I never let her rest. Just very surprised from a V6 power, doesnt exactly make sense. Going to take it to dealer I bought it from.

Hopefully I posted this in the right spot. Any ideas or tips would be much welcome.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Most likely it's your differential. Does it sound like it coming from the back or directly underneath you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got home from the dealership. They were crazy slammed a lady was there over two hours for an oil change. Anyway, tech said no way I can continue to drive on that rear diff and that he has one on order. I asked what could do that, he just shrugged his shoulders. Said it would be covered under the power train warranty.

That plus 1 horse power from the open headlight inlet and CAI must of been too much for that diff too sustain. 😂😂 jk of course. I’m surprised AF, at least I got a rental for now, probably entire week.

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Manufacturers sometimes get defective parts from there suppliers. Even though the original parts manufacturer tests a certain percentage for quality control, a defective one gets by sometimes. Dodge doesn't have the time to test everything, that they receive from their suppliers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got it back yesterday with an all new rear diff. I already miss the Ram 4x4 loaner they gave me for the full two weeks it took to get my car back. They left me a paper saying they sanitized the radio controls, door handles and more. I didn’t rip on the car at all. Just drove it the 25 minutes home and haven’t touched it since. Not sure if I should follow some type of break in procedure, but I’ll take it easy for a while for sure.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
I would just drive normally, without abusing it, and replace the fluid after 500 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts