Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've replaced the bulbs in my left tail light twice now in the past 2 weeks, I just noticed it is not the bulbs burning out but randomly the tail-light signal won't work. The lights on the left tail lamp light up fine but the turn signal will just stop working randomly, even if I'm sitting there and pressing unlock it will function, function, then fail.

I do have the web electronics sequential kit and have for the past 4 years, even if I unplug that the same problem is still there so I am guessing either a fuse issue (turn signal power is triggering something to stop it?) or a short, though I checked the wires and everything seems fine, this came out of nowhere. Any ideas guys? Thanks! Also could you guys tell me if the rear tail light left\right have different fuses? Can't get my head around this one.

It will light up fine if I turn on the fog lights which naturally lights up the rear, or at night on auto, just the actual TURN signal function is acting up like mad. Thanks in advance! :guiness:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those kinds of problems are often times a loose ground connection.
Any idea on where to start then? I checked the harnesses on the left side, they seem fine. Seems as if other signals come from the center tail-light bar but no way a ground on there got messed up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You know, when I first saw the title of this thread I thought, does he have a sequential tail light kit on it? The answer is: YES you do!! "I do have the web electronics sequential kit". When these first came out, people were having problems with them, and web electronics lied about the ONE hour installation time. It was NOT "plug and play" as they said. I still have my kit, it's still in the box, AND I DON'T have turn signal problems!!! If it were me, I would remove the kit, and pitch it in the nearest trash bin, OR give it to someone you don't like. Then to avoid shame, if someone asks you if you ever purchased a kit, tell them no.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, when I first saw the title of this thread I thought, does he have a sequential tail light kit on it? The answer is: YES you do!! "I do have the web electronics sequential kit". When these first came out, people were having problems with them, and web electronics lied about the ONE hour installation time. It was NOT "plug and play" as they said. I still have my kit, it's still in the box, AND I DON'T have turn signal problems!!! If it were me, I would remove the kit, and pitch it in the nearest trash bin, OR give it to someone you don't like. Then to avoid shame, if someone asks you if you ever purchased a kit, tell them no.
Uh. My kit was plug and play. I have no idea what piece of junk you got, but I have had mine for four years with no problems. I can disconnect the sequential kit right at the tail light and then it functions as stock, even with the stock normal blinking it will do it once or twice then stop working. Today it is back to working like it should for some reason.

The web electronics install only took me about an hour and a half including removing the light bar. Anyway, its clearly not the kit as I can unplug it and use the normal, and it still has issues. And what was that crap about shame because of a kit? LOL. Next piece of advice please? The problem comes and goes as I am starting to think it is just something loose ground wise or signal wire wise.

It's def NOT the kit, and I had never heard of those problems before with it. So any other ideas guys? Seems like loose ground or wire but it looks fine.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Inspect your left tail lamp bulb sockets for corrosion or discoloration, also if you have the old bulbs, look at where the bulb plugs into the socket, when we see high resistance in the socket the wires that wrap around the plastic base will melt into the plastic. Also with the bulb and socket out of the lamp wiggle the wires and bulb around to see if you can isolate the problem, good luck.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Uh. My kit was plug and play. I have no idea what piece of junk you got, but I have had mine for four years with no problems. I can disconnect the sequential kit right at the tail light and then it functions as stock, even with the stock normal blinking it will do it once or twice then stop working. Today it is back to working like it should for some reason.

The web electronics install only took me about an hour and a half including removing the light bar. Anyway, its clearly not the kit as I can unplug it and use the normal, and it still has issues. And what was that crap about shame because of a kit? LOL. Next piece of advice please? The problem comes and goes as I am starting to think it is just something loose ground wise or signal wire wise.

It's def NOT the kit, and I had never heard of those problems before with it. So any other ideas guys? Seems like loose ground or wire but it looks fine.

>>> Do you think if you have never touched the tail lights at all you would have this problem??

·
Registered
639 Posts

I heard about flashing problems with that kit. That's why mine is still in the box, AND my turn signals work. Honestly, if you completely remove the kit, reset the computer, and everything works fine, no one is going poke fun at you. There will be no shame, and no one will know. Just keep it to yourself, and under the cover of darkness, toss the kit in a dumpster.:)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
You are one strange ass fellow. :notallthere:

>>> 69 SIX PACK ROADRUNNER is just telling you like it is Truth!!

The more "electrical" aftermarket parts you put in you will have problems like this it never fails!

·
Registered
639 Posts
>>> 69 SIX PACK ROADRUNNER is just telling you like it is Truth!!

The more "electrical" aftermarket parts you put in you will have problems like this it never fails!
Thanks.
I know when these kits first came out there were numerous flashing problems with them, but not everyone had problems at first. Then "over time" flashing issues started popping up. That being said, it was the system flashing too fast that was the problem (in most cases). I found this out after I spent $150.00 on my kit (that still in the box).

I would be willing to bet, that most (if not all) Challenger stock turn signals systems have NO problem at all. Yes, some folks are doing just fine right now with these kits, but sooner or later......

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my kit. Right now I keep it as a reminder "how a fool and his money are soon parted". I will NOT sell it, because I don't want to be responsible/blamed for damage to someone else's car. I am considering posting it as a "worthless trade". In other words, trading it for something that someone else has dumped money into that has now been deemed absolutely worthless/junk, AND they regret it. :) Why not have some fun with it, I say.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good lord, ok I'll swap the RIGHT harness to the LEFT, and see if the problem presists, if so it's clearly a loose wire in the STOCK harness.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is what Web-electronics said after talking back and forth through e-mail. If this is true it may actually be the stock wiring...

" I'm saying take the sequential harnesses out and swap them to the other
side. Look at the first page of the instructions and find Part B. That's
the part you need to swap. See if the problem moves to the other side of
the car.

This not a "well known issue". Yes, once in a while a harness will fail
(usually because of a pinched or shorted wire). We have never heard of them
working for a couple cycles then none of the lamps will go on. Even if the
electronics in the harness fails, the inside most lamp should come on
because it's wired directly to the turn signal circuit. It is not
controlled by the electronics."

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, now my left tail lights will randomly just blink like stock, and the others will sequence, then the left part of the center will stop sequencing and blink, while the far left tail light does nothing, does seem as if some water got in, regardless Webelectric is sending out an entire new kit to make sure I can fix it, and narrow it down to if it is stock wiring or the kit, very impressed with their customer service, and the sequential kit just REALLY makes a Challenger stand out, the feature of when you brake it sequences is just awesome to see. Very happy with this customer support, they instantly respond even if it is 10 P.M. Regardless the kit lasted for 3-4 years with no issues, I guess during heavy-rain maybe something happened, I don't know though.

Ripping out that center light bar is gonna be a PITA if the other parts don't fix it. But done it before...can do it again...>.>

·
Registered
565 Posts
Rpaulg87-
What was the outcome of the fix, I am having a very similar problem with my webelectric sequentials.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Rpaulg87-
What was the outcome of the fix, I am having a very similar problem with my webelectric sequentials.
My suggestion is, remove the kit, then see what happens. They have had flashing problems with some of these. If you do remove it, don't sell it to anyone, simply throw it in the trash and chalk it up as a bad investment. If anyone asks you if you ever had sequential tail lights, say no, there will be no shame in that.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rpaulg87-
I contacted them and they sent me out a new kit, but I sold the SRT for a Shelby GT-500 before I got a chance to mess with it, soooo never fixed it lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts