Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The scratches on the back of my trunk plastic panel was irking me so being that it's 32* in Raleigh and I was bored I figured why not try removing them.

So I'm very impressed with the results. I used the Meguiars rubbing compound on my past Granite redtop with great success removing swirls and minor scratch marks so I figured I try it. I used my black buffing pad (sprayed some Mother's instant detailer on the pad before applying compound) using my Porter Cable set on #3 for the first pass and then #4 on the second pass and then wiped clean with a microfiber pad. I sealed it with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax (pictures not reflected).

Notes, I had the most defining scratches vertical between the O an D in Dodge and also below the Dodge letters. I had some medium scratches where you can feel it with your nail but them came off after the 2nd pass using medium to firm pressure on the Porter at speed set at #4. There's some deep scratches which will need to be wet sanded to remove them but I'll leave that for a nicer sunny day :)

Hope this helps as I know this is also for some...

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Shiny:yumyum:

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I dont touch the black plastic on mine, I open and close the trunk with the taillight.
No scratching and the lights are easy to clean.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
Rubbing compound? Not polishing compound?

A Guy

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rubbing compound? Not polishing compound?

A Guy
I have and tried the polishing compound on other cars but not to remove scratches. I found the Meguiars rubbing compound isn't as harsh as other brands and it's clear coat safe. Of course it's not a product you want to use all the time. I've had this bottle for a few years now so that's how sparingly I've used it. I figured on the plastic since it's not painted it will be fine to remove scratches.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Good job. That area gets scratched easily.

I've got a slight case of OCD when it comes to my car being cleaned and I hated cleaning the area around the Dodge letters. Dirt gets stuck around and in between the letters and if your too hard on cleaning it, it starts to scratch.

I removed the chrome letters, polished it, then applied white decals (my car is Bright White). So much easier to keep clean and most people don't even realize that I did it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I've got a slight case of OCD when it comes to my car being cleaned and I hated cleaning the area around the Dodge letters. Dirt gets stuck around and in between the letters and if your too hard on cleaning it, it starts to scratch.

I removed the chrome letters, polished it, then applied white decals (my car is Bright White). So much easier to keep clean and most people don't even realize that I did it.
That looks good!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
I removed the letters, then...that's it. Dodge doesn't need my car for advertising. People will just call it a Charger anyway :)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
My Camaro I keep in the trunk of my Challenger :)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I removed the letters, then...that's it. Dodge doesn't need my car for advertising. People will just call it a Charger anyway :)

A Guy
I’d like to see a pic of that area without the dodge letters. I’ve thought about removing mine and want to see what it looks like. Yeah, I kinda know but....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
Reactions: MrMac

·
Premium Member
917 Posts

Nice job, looks good.
I live in New Zealand where Dodge's are not so common, I proudly display the 'Dodge' on the rear of my car. :laugh2:

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
756 Posts
The scratches on the back of my trunk plastic panel was irking me so being that it's 32* in Raleigh and I was bored I figured why not try removing them.

Hope this helps as I know this is also for some...
I think I have painted and buffed about everything there is to paint and buff but for some reason I've been intimidated to tackle the scratches in the black plastic trunk panel. I currently have a flat black Scat Pack decal in place of the chrome letters. I have another Scat Pack decal so I'll remove the current decal, follow your method to buff out the black plastic then install the new decal. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JavierA
1 - 20 of 49 Posts