Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here. I'm going to be in the market for a new car soon and my heart is set on a Challenger SRT 392. I'll likely end up getting a new 2019 model but I'm curious if the infamous rear fender panel rust issue involving the foam injection has been fixed yet. I've searched all over the web and wasn't able to find a concrete answer to my question. Based on what I read, the rust issue primarily affected years 2009-2016. Is this right? I'd like to see if I can get a more definite answer here. I know FCA won't give me an honest answer.

This car will be my daily driver and will live in NC inland. It'll have a nice garage to sleep in as well. I'll be washing it (with water) thoroughly as needed.

Bonus question: How reliable are these cars?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to (probably) owning one of these amazing cars!

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
the construction methods are the same - the injected insulation foam still is utilized.

the predominant situation I've observed is many of these are in areas with road salt.

What will be telling are folks that have GTs (AWD model) and drive them year-round in the snow, slush etc.
-what happens with these will tell us more.

I lived in Oregon for 10 years with a '09 R/T [6 3/4 years, 43k] and my '16 392 Shaker [2 1/4 years, 13k] both sunroof models and driven year - round in all that rain.

I hadn't seen anyone with rusting quarters in that area - a few folks had the '08s, so those were getting to 10 years old.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My 2009 Dodge challenger rear quarter panels are rusting and getting even worse. It didn't matter I kept it in my garage every night too. I always washed it as often as possible to remove any winter salt but made no difference. From this forum (what I've read) it's a design flaw with the drainage holes and Dodge has made no changes to Challenger (long term) to resolve the issue so no matter what the rust will return anyway? So what's the solution? Rework and rediesgn the drainage holes? It is however my daily driver, so it has seen plenty of NJ winters and rain. I noticed the RUST starting to show back in 2017 but from what I'm told, once you see rust, it's probably much worse then you know.. I now have 170,000+ miles on it. Got a couple of quotes of over $1000 maybe more to fix. this doesn't include the stock rims also have corrosion too and are pitted badly. It'll cost more to fix than it's worth.

LOOK at my 10 year old 2009 Dodge Challenger and this RUST in the REAR quarter panels. The other side is equally as bad IF not worse too! POOR design, quality control or drainage hole misplacement? EVEN if they fix it for over $1000 (maybe more) depending on how deep or far it goes, it will return because the drainage hole aren't correct? So WHAT is the LONG term solution? I want to KEEP my car forever but now I'm like what to do? The wheel skins are one fix, now this too? What's NEXT?

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Word on the street is the pre 2015's are susceptible. '15 on still uses foam but re-designed the wheel well attachments to prevent water intrusion there.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
That's crazy. I wonder what would happen if you decide to repair using OEM quarter parts. Would there be a risk of rust returning due to design?

More than likely the rust would still come back. Some people on this forum have removed the foam or part of it or something. Mine is a 2013 and I can see a blip on my rear quarter behind the tire..if it is rust it has not poked through the paint yet...but it's definitely a bump and it's not a chip in the paint...i feel like we are on a ticking time bomb...ugh.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would hope that during the process of hanging new quarter panels on your car, you would take the opportunity to paint the back of the panels and remove the foam. Cars have been rusting since they started building them and you would think that they could have fixed the issue a long time ago. When I build cars I paint every surface I can get to. It helps a lot but foam is just not a car building material. The panels are so thin now that the foam is probably there for support.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I bought my 2009 with 42,000 miles on it and immediately put mud flaps on it. I just rolled over 121,000 miles and no sign of any issues whatsoever. Perhaps since they cover that area on the inside of the wheel well it helps? Who knows right?
Tire Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Reactions: Al A

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had mud flaps put on on my car year 1 but made no difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts