Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'09 Hemi Orange RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody, I have the very common rear quarter panel rust, both sides of my '09 Challenger RT. I first noticed it a few years ago, after the rust thru warranty was over. Talked to the Dealer service dept., also to Chrysler Customer Service, they wouldn't do anything to help me. I had my local body shop repair it, they did a great job cutting a section out, welding in new metal, and matched the paint ( Hemi Orange) perfectly. About a year or so later, rust on the one side in a different spot. Local body shop did an excellent job again, and tried to remove as much of the sound deadening foam that was holding water in the quarter panels. Was good for a little over a year and again, rust bubbles...
So after about 4 repairs to the quarter panels, ( about every 12 to 15 months) , the rust is coming back again...
Has anybody had new quarter panels installed ? Did they remove all the sound deadening foam crap in there when they did the new panels ? Were the new quarters sprayed or treated with any rustproofing prior to installation ? And finally about how much for the new quarter panels installed ?
I love my Challenger. It runs great, has 180,000 miles, and the lifetime drivetrain warranty. Its garage kept, well maintained. I really don't want to get rid of it, but I don't want to keep spending money just repairing the quarters. Should I bite the bullet and replace the panels ? Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.
And sorry for the long post...
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,423 Posts
dang, that just sucks!
I know of the rear quarter rust issues and I can confirm the factory use of water absorbing sound deadening foam is a not so good idea, gone bad, but after FOUR of the same repair, I'd be wondering if there isnt another issue going on here? like bad seal(s) panel gap, missing liners...something, someplace thats letting in/holding an abnormal amount water/road splash. The foam btw, can be left out next time, its not required.
BTW, (Im no expert on type &n use), but there are "rust converting" agents & chemicals out there on the automotive market, that you could look into, that may negate the need to cut the lower quarters out yet again, if the present rust is still at the surface level. just a thought idk....
Good luck!!

·
Registered
'09 Hemi Orange RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You hemi4us. I have read up on those "rust converting" agents, etc... on this forum. I never let the rust get so bad, just small bubbling. I have seen some pics on this forum that hurt to look at of the rust issues. ( Sorry I didn't take any pics over the years of the rust to post ) And as I said my body shop guy is very good, but the rust keeps returning. That's why I am thinking of just getting both quarter panels replaced, but is it really worth spending the money on a car that is worth maybe $ 8,000 ? Again, I love the car, it has the Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty, so I really don't plan on/want to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,388 Posts
Thank You hemi4us. I have read up on those "rust converting" agents, etc... on this forum. I never let the rust get so bad, just small bubbling. I have seen some pics on this forum that hurt to look at of the rust issues. ( Sorry I didn't take any pics over the years of the rust to post ) And as I said my body shop guy is very good, but the rust keeps returning. That's why I am thinking of just getting both quarter panels replaced, but is it really worth spending the money on a car that is worth maybe $ 8,000 ? Again, I love the car, it has the Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty, so I really don't plan on/want to get rid of it.
You mentioned rust in a new location. If they didn't go through and get rid of all of the rust throughout when they replaced the metal it will simply continue to spread. If you are really attached to the car the best bet would be to replace the quarter panels completely and possibly the rockers too. Have them check for rust first if possible but more than likely there is rust in that area too. Check the post in the forum “See how they rust”. There is occasional issues with the front as well especially if the patch they put on the frame in the front wheel well comes off. May want to check that out too.

However spending 8k on a car with 180k miles you may be looking forward to replacing drive train parts too including an engine rebuild. Aslo, have you kept up on the maintenance including diff fluid changes, brake fluid flush and coolant flush, power steering flush, etc.. Not sure what the warranty covers I assume it doesn't cover normal wear? I personally would take the 8k and put it down on a new challenger. 8k plus the power dollars plus the money for the trade-in and current interest rates you will be sitting in a new challenger with a pretty low payment. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
'09 Hemi Orange RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mentioned rust in a new location. If they didn't go through and get rid of all of the rust throughout when they replaced the metal it will simply continue to spread. If you are really attached to the car the best bet would be to replace the quarter panels completely and possibly the rockers too. Have them check for rust first if possible but more than likely there is rust in that area too. Check the post in the forum “See how they rust”. There is occasional issues with the front as well especially if the patch they put on the frame in the front wheel well comes off. May want to check that out too.

However spending 8k on a car with 180k miles you may be looking forward to replacing drive train parts too including an engine rebuild. Aslo, have you kept up on the maintenance including diff fluid changes, brake fluid flush and coolant flush, power steering flush, etc.. Not sure what the warranty covers I assume it doesn't cover normal wear? I personally would take the 8k and put it down on a new challenger. 8k plus the power dollars plus the money for the trade-in and current interest rates you will be sitting in a new challenger with a pretty low payment. Just food for thought.
Thanks McCloud . The one time the body shop replaced a metal panel just in front of the left rear wheel, just to the rear of the drivers door. Approx a 6" by 8" piece. He tried to remove as much of the foam as possible. Another time he replaced a section just over the right rear tire, not as large though. That was a tough to do with the crease in the wheel opening.
I stopped by another body shop today to get their opinion and a price on the whole quarter panel, or a large section replacement. I want to put an end to the rust condition, if possible.
As far as maintenance, I change the oil & filter every 5k, antifreeze, PS and trans serviced regularly, brake fluid and rear axle fluid changed too. The dealer inspects the car every 5 years to keep the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty in effect, and to make sure there are no mods that would affect the warranty. Except for the rust, I really love the car and want to keep it if possible. I can afford a car payment, but I really want to keep my Challenger :)

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,275 Posts
Thanks McCloud . The one time the body shop replaced a metal panel just in front of the left rear wheel, just to the rear of the drivers door. Approx a 6" by 8" piece. He tried to remove as much of the foam as possible. Another time he replaced a section just over the right rear tire, not as large though. That was a tough to do with the crease in the wheel opening.
I stopped by another body shop today to get their opinion and a price on the whole quarter panel, or a large section replacement. I want to put an end to the rust condition, if possible.
As far as maintenance, I change the oil & filter every 5k, antifreeze, PS and trans serviced regularly, brake fluid and rear axle fluid changed too. The dealer inspects the car every 5 years to keep the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty in effect, and to make sure there are no mods that would affect the warranty. Except for the rust, I really love the car and want to keep it if possible. I can afford a car payment, but I really want to keep my Challenger :)
I can understand that thinking. You know your car, you like your car, it has the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, so the cost of rust repair will make look like new.

Myself, I hate car payments, so I would be thinking about new quarters too.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,388 Posts
I get it, I'll probably hang on to mine for a long time too. I almost went with a new one this year but decided to just build mine up so now I have a lot into it. I have treated mine but don't know how the rockers were before I got to them. I'm planning on having to replace those if my rust proofing idea was too late or simply fails. By the sounds of your maintenance routine you covered all grounds.... I bet you get another 200k out of it, with the lifetime powertrain warranty I guess it doesn't really matter right!

If don't mind keep the thread updated on how it turns out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts