Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in swapping the rear reflector with lights. I picked up these ...

(Amazon.com: Miniclue Full LED Smoked Lens Tail Brake Rear Fog Lamps Bumper Reflector Lights For 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Dodge Challenger: Automotive).

They're installed and wires routed but I'm not sure what wires I need to splice into. The lights are for brake lights. One wire goes to negative, one goes to tail light positive, and the last goes to brake light positive. Anyone have any insight on wiring these?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
You can go here for pinouts

or you can go to the Chilton site to dig up wiring diagrams. I will say do not tap into the side marker power as they run PWM signal which if you put too much load on the circuit will cause them to drop out on certain year challengers. Learn this lesson when I installed DD switch back lights up front.

BTW thanks for the find, I might install these as well as I am not a fan of reflectors. In fact, on my JGC the first thing I did was replace the bumper reflectors with fog lights found on export models.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
but I'm not sure what wires I need to splice into.
I would advise against this. Find a way to do it without cutting or splicing anything. These new cars are different. Someone here not long ago spliced some front grille lights into his parking lights and blew all the lights on the front and had to take it dealer. Maybe there's a trailer wiring harness that would plug in somewhere and give you the outputs you need.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I'll have to get one of those wiring harnesses. I appreciate the help. Whenever I get to it I'll let you know how it turns out

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
BTW iJDM has these led reflectors as well. They say to route the wires through the OEM license plate and tap into the OEM wiring but that is a bad idea (at least on a 2015) as I learned with my front switch back halo mod. Extra loads on circuits make the lighting do weird things like dropout every so often. Instead get the trailer wiring kit (Curt - C56230 or the one CStratus posted) and tap into that.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I just ordered the T-One Connector and light. SMD I'm going to have to set aside a budget for Challenger Talk LOL...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
I am hoping to install mine soon. Rather than remove the rear clip I am going to see if I can just drop the rear exhaust. The trailer wiring kit seems pretty easy to install and it looks like the wire lengths are specific to the +2015s.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
So it looks like the rear body harness runs up through the passenger side. Not sure why iJDM said run the wire thru the license or side markers, unless they meant to tap into them? My experience has been if you tap into the sidemarks they will operate intermittently if you add an extra load, even if it is just another LED.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So not it looks like the rear body harness runs up through the passenger side. Not sure why iJDM said run the wire thru the license or side markers, unless they meant to tap into them? My experience has been if you tap into the sidemarks they will operate intermittently if you add an extra load, even if it is just another LED.
View attachment 986030
Agree that's why I'm going with the T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness so it's a clean and most importantly trouble free.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,182 Posts
Hmm, I kind of like these, and more lights is always safer. Are they still reflective? (I assume so)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Hmm, I kind of like these, and more lights is always safer. Are they still reflective? (I assume so)
If you get the tinted version like iJDM I would say no. I bought mine off ebay and visually they look almost identical to the OEM reflectors but with LEDs along the perimeter. Think of them as rear fog lights. In fact, I installed something similar on my 2013 JGC which was a fog light option only available on export models. The challenger verison can be wired up to function as tail, brake and turn signals.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,521 Posts
This is a Great idea. I was going to just ghost mine the color of the bumper, but I like the idea of an LED in there.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,182 Posts
If you get the tinted version like iJDM I would say no. I bought mine off ebay and visually they look almost identical to the OEM reflectors but with LEDs along the perimeter. Think of them as rear fog lights. In fact, I installed something similar on my 2013 JGC which was a fog light option only available on export models. The challenger verison can be wired up to function as tail, brake and turn signals.
Thanks, I would get the non tinted ones, (I'm not a tint fan). I would consider wiring them up like the daytime running lamps in the front. Like you said, rear fog lights, I wouldn't make them brake lights or turn lights.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Thanks, I would get the non tinted ones, (I'm not a tint fan). I would consider wiring them up like the daytime running lamps in the front. Like you said, rear fog lights, I wouldn't make them brake lights or turn lights.
If you just want them as tail/parking lights you just leave the brake wire disconnected. I guess one could also tap into the front fog lights (they are incandescent and can hand the extra load) power line so they only turn on with fog lights as well.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Well what the ship! I started to wire up the reflector lights and noticed one of the pressure vents in the back is missing (see opening on left). There clearly was one as I can see the marks where one used to sit. I can see the garage floor from the opening which explains why the trunk always fills with smoke after a burnout.

I found this pressure vent but that seems to be for the left and right rear inner quarter panels but can't seem to find the one for the rear.

I found another exploded view but they don't show the rear vents.

Hmm I guess 5058636AD is the part from the looks of this picture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts