Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Rear shocks blown?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Nuke 
#1 ·
So a shop that messed up my car in other ways (during an alignment) told me that my rear shocks are blown. I have a 2014 R/T with the STP (rear Bilstein shocks, not Nivomats). The shocks are caked in grime, which I assume is fluid, but when I push down on the rear of the car, it pops right back up and does not ride harsh.

Is there another way to check? I bought some Bilstein B4 rear shocks to do the install but they don?t seem blown aside from the fluid that is caked on. Thanks!

#3 ·
Back in the day, I actually own a Pontiac. :surprise:

A rear shock was leaking fluid, but like you, I noticed no difference in ride. Apparently pushing down on the car and seeing it bounce back up isn't a true test because the springs are involved at that point.

Anyway, I replaced both rear shocks and called it a day. It's hard to believe you have to do that to a 3 year old car though.

#4 ·
The way I always heard it, if you are going to do the push down test for a shock (one corner at a time), you want to push down and let go when it's at its lowest point. A good shock will only allow the body to rebound to the normal resting point, but a bad shock will allow the rebound to go over normal resting position and bounce back down and up an extra time or two.

But like everyone is saying, if they're leaking fluid, they're toast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.