Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I upgraded my system installed Kenwood DO 780 Head Unit, Hertz Hey 165 6.5 in front, 2 JL Audio amps for front and sub. I didn't install rear speakers because in my charger they sounded muffled. I cut holes and placed the speaker covers on and it sounded a lot better. I was thinking of installing rear speakers in the challenger because I miss the full sound. Has anyone mounted rear speakers on top of the rear deck not directly to the rear deck frame?

I didn't want to chance messing up the rear deck to experiment

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had rear speakers mounted in the deck and they sounded just fine. With the speakers you are running up front, you just need some rear fill. You won't need a lot out of the rear speakers to get the sound you are looking for. As far as being muffled, I didn't notice that much of a difference in my car, plus I had dedicated tweeters up front. By cutting holes in the rear deck, you will be gaining more tweeter if anything, and I don't know if that would actually make it sound better or worse. If you run enough power to the front speakers, a small amount of power to the rear speakers should be plenty. If you need it louder, I would buy a larger amp for my front speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have JL XD400 running the fronts bridged and a XD300 running one 12 sub. I am planning on installing hertz HCX 165 in the rear. I may try it out without cutting. Worst case I have to cut if I don't like it.

Thankx for the reply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK...I installed the Hertz speakers in the rear under the deck and they sound wonderful...Good to have the rear fill again. I am glad you suggested to just install them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All day Saturday installing and rewiring the amp for 4 channels. Sunday modified my daughters car. 2 days of fun and well worth it to hear the end result.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I love JL and Focal amps. Strong and fullsounding (warm) if you are pushing mid's and hi's. I hate Rockford unless you are pushing subs. Alpine and Kenwood are OK buy Imo JL and Focal all the way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts